Trackside Charging

BigHemi02

Looking to see whos got efficient charging setups for in between runs.

I dont run an alternator, 2 new optima yellow tops. I have a battery tender for weekly charging, but i need something to keep the truck cooked for 3-4 runs in a night.

Currently have to hook jumper cables to my tow pig (new ram w/dual alt 440 amp). Race junk runs dual rad fans, dual trans fans, elect water pump, fuel pump, lights, etc...

Who runs a .00 truck mounted cable, charger that can work with gen, and what gen, amp, charger, etc??

Thanks.

I just run a regular ole charger between rounds. Prepare to replace those optimal though. Just a heads up.

Everything i have runs optimas, lol even the track golf cart. Last set lasted 5 years.

But a charger will work on a generator? I heard there were some that didnt like the dirty power. I have a full size one, but its not digital, so imassuming it would be fine?

just a snowball idea here while i am slightly buzzed.

I would contact OPTIMA and see the charging specs for their batteries, or rather what they can take on the top end of charging. Get the charger that matches that. IE, if you can get away at 18V@30A charging is much better than 14V@30A.

just a snowball idea here while i am slightly buzzed.

I would contact OPTIMA and see the charging specs for their batteries, or rather what they can take on the top end of charging. Get the charger that matches that. IE, if you can get away at 18V@30A charging is much better than 14V@30A.
Crap, good idea, damn gel cells. Lol i keep a gellcell tender on the truck 24/7 at home, never really put thought into the damage of the quick charge. Truck used to have an alternator, so this wasnt really ever an issue.

it only occurred to me as i was looking at my RC Crawler when i made the post. I ended up looking at the charge specs for the battery. was able to bump up from the 2.5Ah charge to 4.5Ah.

Back