Now is NOT the time to buy a VW Diesel!

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Just like post-Katrina last summer, now that gas is over $3 per demand is high for both new and used TDI's. This means many new TDI's are selling for over sticker and used TDI prices are skyrocketing.

Keep in mind they couldn't give away TDI's this spring because there wasn't a knee-jerk reaction from high fuel prices. Unless the Middle East self destructs fuel will go down again this fall and prices will come back to reality.

Also, VW didn't meet the new 07 emissions in time so supposedly there will be no 07 TDI's with the exception of the Tour-egg. Supposedly there are 600 plus 06 V-10 TDI Egg's in a warehouse waiting for ULSD to take effect because they couldn't meet emission on the old fuel.

When VW does have a diesel again it will be a common rail which is cool IMO.

Last summer I had my car listed for $400 more than I paid for it with 28K miles and soon as Katrina hit the phone rang off the hook with people willing to buy it sight unseen! I figured drive it one more year and wait for the next hurricane to wander up the Gulf and took the car off the market. That said if I can figure out what I want to drive next I'll sell mine this summer because the idiots will be lined up to buy.

I'll give you $4500 for the Car... That is if you'll take a Post Dated 3rd Party check?

I sure hope your right about Fuel prices?? I don't understand how a Bi-product can be at a higher price than the Product it's self??

I was looking around for a while and found a ultra clean 02 Jetta here locally, loaded, leather, power, auto etc etc
12k took it home.
We have already started adding go fast stuff. :evil

The day before I looked at one at a dealer, 03 same stuff leather, auto etc. and it was a piece of poo. It had been rode hard and not allowed to rest.
They wanted 16k.

dan

Here is a very stripped version of my car on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Passat-TDI-2005-VW-PASSAT-TDI-DEISELSEDAN-LIKE-NEW-CONDITION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6020QQihZ006QQitemZ160014088620QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

New window sticker would have been $25K maybe $26K but I doubt it.

Here's a well equipped wagon with fake leather:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Passat-GLS-TDi-Turb-2005-VW-PASSAT-WGN-DIESEL-100K-WARRANTY-NASHVILLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6020QQihZ019QQitemZ290011679793QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

New window sticker would have been around $28K.

Passats are bringing more money because they didn't sell many 2004 or 2005 TDI's here in the states plus minus the Mercedes 320 diesel it's currently the biggest diesel car you that you can find and they didn't import a 2006 Passat TDI..

It's a nice ride all things considered but it's still a VW for crying out loud and not worth sticker price or $1K-2K over.

wideopen said:
It looks like a new car was a good investment for that year??

Yes, at least 4 months of each of the of last two summers. One problem is since the Passat TDI was relatively rare, 2005 values haven't been showing up in the price books so if you are a clueless owner a smart dealer could hose you on trade and flip the car the next day and pocket 5K,7K or even 9K and I'm sure it happens.

I called my former VW salesman who is now the sales manager 3 months ago when fuel was ~$2.70 (TDI demand was still off) and he finally offered me $22,500 to walk away from it sight unseen over the phone and acted like he wouldn't go higher at the time. That was with 47K miles and I paid $26,100 on a ~$28,900 sticker back in 12/04.

Even with the mods I can't remove if I only sold for $24K this summer I'm still coming out way ahead of the game and that doesn't even count the average income tax mileage deduction of .44 per mile for 2005 which I'm sure will be even higher for 2006. Plus, being the first person willing to blow up a new Passat led me to some sweet mod deals. The only thing I had to pay near market value for was $700 for a tranny shop to R/R the torque converter and $110 of that was VW specific fluid.:huh::

Funny thing is I all but hated this car the first year simply because it was a car, then I got race injectors and it made me more positive about its potential. The best part is it hasn't been to the dealer once for a warranty issue that wasn't a result of my modding.

Last edited:
Awesome man ..Just plain Awesome... I wish I'd have hit you up harder for the Care when you didn't like it..LOL

You should have. I actually almost sold it just before Katrina last summer for $24,750. I forgot what told me at the time I could get more money for it if I waited so I just quit talking to the potential buyer.LOL

Plus, at that same time I called Kerma and he said he would love for me to try his new PD race injectors.:ylsuper: The thought of dropping the 1/4 mile ET another full second was too overwhelming.

Last edited:
Back