Toyota 2.4 NA Diesel

That looks to be a bit more than I'm going for imelmo.

I found a guy in Edmonton Canada that had a Turbo, exhaust manifold, intake manifold and all the lines to connect them.
Than after a few calls Ifound a place right here in SLC that had a brand new toyota turbo IP on the shelf. picked it up along with the turbo stuff and a whole crapload of gauges and installed it all.

Seems to run great so far.
Oh ya, ran 2.5" from the turbo back to a Magnaflow and a 3" tail pipe after that. It's realy quiet, all you can hear is the turbo whistle.

I'm thinking I need to get someones old dodge lift pump (that still works a little) and install it back by the tank.
Anyone?

billysgoat; I found this engnine is around a 17:1 ratio.

Right after the install on the first test run I jumped on the freeway and hit the go peddle and hit 18psi :aiwebs_029:
So I returned home and backed the fuel screw out a bit and adjusted the wastegate.
On second run I had ALLOT less power and only about 6-8psi, had a hell of a time getting to 75, I had my wrench with me so I jumped out and adjusted the waste gate again and now it's at about 10-11psi floored on a hill. I would really like to run it @ 15psi but at the same time I want to see the insides on this engine even less.
I can go 80 easy and EGT's are aroung 1000 deg really pushing it otherwise they are around 900 or so.
So in short so far (fingers crossed) it's holding together and running great.
I've got a few other little things I need to get done but for now it's driveable at least.
I'm going to attempt to get some pics up. I have to borrow a camera mine took a dump.

dan

Last edited:
have to bring up that I haven't been able to update for a while as I cant get here from work anymore. blocked all forums....
Anyway, I'll try to stay in touch as much as possible.

dan

zukgod1 said:
have to bring up that I haven't been able to update for a while as I cant get here from work anymore. blocked all forums....
Anyway, I'll try to stay in touch as much as possible.

dan

Hey man-:poke: :poke: :poke:

:nopics:

Ok here ya go.

Yip those are Auto meter gauges all over and that's a 3" exhaust pipe on there.

Those boxes on the bed are my new seats going in tonight.
Also got me some braided brakes lines and some carpet.
Next up will be a new steering wheel possably.
My wife just called me and my tires arried today as well. 31/10.50r15 TOYO A/T's, I'll mount them on the alum wheels I have.

What ya all thinkin?

dan

Attachments

• Toy1.JPG
    Toy1.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Toy.JPG
    Toy.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Toy3.JPG
    Toy3.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Toy2.JPG
    Toy2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Toy4.JPG
    Toy4.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Toy5.JPG
    Toy5.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Toy6.JPG
    Toy6.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Seats.bmp
    650.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Billysgoat;

I was off on the comp ratio, found this.

The 2L is a 2.4 L (2446 cc) 4 cylinder diesel engine. Bore is 92 mm and stroke is 92 mm, with a compression ratio of 22.3:1. Output is 72 hp (53.6 kW) at 4000 RPM with 115 ft·lb (155.9 N·m) of torque at 2200 RPM.

Anyway, I've been talking with a guy in Aus that builds turbo kits for these 2L engines and was told that the 2L will take 20psi all day as long as the intake air temp is lowered via IC or what ever other methods could be used.
Otherwise the precups will crack due to high combustion temps (I have gauge) and if they fall out kiss your engine bye bye.

So as it sits I have it set at 12-14psi and it seems to like it. If I could get a larger turbo so I move some more air than I could turn the fuel screw in a bit more but as it sits now it's perfect.
Freeway 75mph around 10-12psi and 1000deg.
If I turn up the fuel I get to 75 faster but EGT's will hit 1200. I've not let it go past 1200 and it was only there for a sec till I backed out as I'm just not familiar with this engine.

Thanks for the comments guys.

dan

Last edited:
The 17:1 sounded a bit low for a NA engine, I'm really glad you found someone who knows something about the engine to give you good info on it, that helps ALOT!!

Ok, now I need an intercooler.
not much room in front of the radiator however I'm going to make a bumper for it with an opening for the air to run through the intercooler.

Anyone have a suggestion?
I'm thinking I need and intercooler with at least a 2.5" inlet/outlet and preferably on opposite ends. and say 6" tall, maybe 20" long and thickness doesn't matter, I figure with those dims it would probably be around 2" thick.

anyone?

dan

Look around your local junkyard, you might be able to get something off a Volvo or other turbo'ed sedan to work out right.

Up date

Well I havent decided on a intercooler yet but I've been playing with the fuel screw and have it set preaty good now.
Had to adjust the waste gate to keep the EGT's in check but it runs great now.
Still running around 95-1000 deg pre turbo and running around 15psi most of the time.

I have been talking with a guy in AUS that builds turbo kits for these engines and found out they will hold 20psi all day long with the stick head gasket and bolts so as long as I keep my temps down all should be good.

Got som enew tires/wheels mounted up and got the buckets mounted in there. Installing carpet this weekend to help keep the noise and heat out.

dan

When you get through playing with that sucker and decide to sell it for a mega cab you need to holler at me Dan, sounds like you have one nice little ride there :rockwoot:

Billysgoat said:
When you get through playing with that sucker and decide to sell it for a mega cab you need to holler at me Dan, sounds like you have one nice little ride there :rockwoot:

I'll put ya in line, I am blown away at the ammount of people that are trying to buy this off me.
I'm almost having to much fun at this point to get rid of it just yet.
I'll be sure to let ya know if it goes that way however. (I'll cut ya in the front of the line).

dan

DBogo said:
try a intercooler out of a volvo, saab, or a DSM

Looks like I'm going to need an intercooler that has the inlet/outlet on opposite ends as I'm going to mount it where the stock bumper is right now.
I'll have a friend of mine bend me the piping out of muffler tubing using 2 1/4" that way the bends that will have a bit of smuch to them will at least still be 2". Should be easy to run that way, I'll still need to reinstall the original intake manifold so the inlet is pointing in the right direction.

fun fun

Here is a pic of the new seats as well.

dan

Attachments

• Seats.bmp
    650.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
My heavins I have a serious problem.

I've been in contact with ARP and they will make me a head stud kit "no problem" and the way my current turbo is mounted it would be CAKE to mount a second turbo below it for a small set of compounds.
I'll need to get a set of the Stainless Precups and a new head gasket then.....

My god! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME????!!!! :doh:

:evil
dan

02 dodge4x4 5.9 said:
nice flatbed there utoh hes hooked

Hell I've been hooked from the first day I layed eyes on my cummins.
now that's it's sold (got so used to spending money) I just cant stop buying crap.

dan

Back