Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Light weight drag race axles

So I have been looking around at options on some light weight axles I can build for my drag truck. I have seen a couple guys use a Ford 9" center section and what looks like a dana 44 outer section.

Does anyone have more information on what would be best for these trucks?
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I've thought about trying a factory halfton 2nd gen frt axle in mine. Going with after market shafts. Would be about a bolt in swap. My truck doesn't hop at all and leaves smooth, I think it'd work fine. On a mid 9sec truck anyway.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Member`s Gallery
Lots of people take our axles into the 9s. Maybe invest in a lightweight wheel/tire setup before you throw away the tried and true aam stuff.

Maybe find someone to get the ball rolling on a lightweight hub/brake idea?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
1stgensleeper

Name: 1stgensleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulina View Post

Already done, look up Innovative Machining Solutions on Facebook. They say they will clear a 15” rim as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1stgensleeper; 07-04-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulina View Post
Lots of people take our axles into the 9s. Maybe invest in a lightweight wheel/tire setup before you throw away the tried and true aam stuff.

I am looking at things from a cost verses ET gain perspective. I bet you could cut 500lbs or more by swapping to lightweight axles. As long as I dont get into custom machined parts, I could probably build a set of junk yard axles for $1000-$2000. To lose the same amount of weight or less, I would have to swap everything but the cab to fiberglass, which just the panels are almost $4000 plus paint.

My goal is to build a lighter truck that can run local 7.0 races at under 900hp or so, to help keep the truck more reliable.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
DieselheaD

Name: DieselheaD
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
I am looking at things from a cost verses ET gain perspective. I bet you could cut 500lbs or more by swapping to lightweight axles. As long as I dont get into custom machined parts, I could probably build a set of junk yard axles for $1000-$2000. To lose the same amount of weight or less, I would have to swap everything but the cab to fiberglass, which just the panels are almost $4000 plus paint.

My goal is to build a lighter truck that can run local 7.0 races at under 900hp or so, to help keep the truck more reliable.
You’re looking at easily double the price of quoted fiberglass panels for some good quality reliable lightweight complete 9” axles. They would only net a weight savings of 350# conservatively though compared to my guesstimate of an AAM pair.

And I’d call you crazy for dropping that coin on anything but a regular cab

Old 07-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselheaD View Post
You’re looking at easily double the price of quoted fiberglass panels for some good quality reliable lightweight complete 9” axles. They would only net a weight savings of 350# conservatively though compared to my guesstimate of an AAM pair.

And I’d call you crazy for dropping that coin on anything but a regular cab
I wouldnt buy axles from anyone, I can build them.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
DieselheaD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I wouldnt buy axles from anyone, I can build them.
Oh cool. I wasn’t factoring build labor lmao

Old 07-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Light weight drag race axles

Quote:
Oh cool. I wasn’t factoring build labor lmao

Im just talking about taking some junk yard axles and putting them together. Like a Ford 9" center section with dana 44 out assemblies and custom inner axle shafts. On the rear I can build a full float 9 fairly cheap. It wont have any kind of fancy billet chunk or anything, but it will be a lot lighter than an axle built to carry a lot of weight.

I had built a steering 14 bolt with dana 60 outers for my rock bouncer years ago, same concept with lighter parts. Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by SPEEDSHIFT; 07-05-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
DieselheaD

Member`s Gallery
If it was a second gen you could get a 2nd gen 1500 ram “dana44” and throw some really strong RCV axle shafts in and call it good. 3rd gen front link mounts might not line up on account that the rear leaf perches are set wider.

If I remember right you could machine Dana 80 or possibly your aam spindles to make a hybrid full float 9” which would be bad ass since there’s nice aluminum hubs/lightweight brake kits for both applications out there.

On another note I have a re-tubed d44 center and 4link brackets axle project that would pair nicely that I would like to sell.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #11
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If it was a second gen you could get a 2nd gen 1500 ram “dana44” and throw some really strong RCV axle shafts in and call it good. 3rd gen front link mounts might not line up on account that the rear leaf perches are set wider.

If I remember right you could machine Dana 80 or possibly your aam spindles to make a hybrid full float 9” which would be bad ass since there’s nice aluminum hubs/lightweight brake kits for both applications out there.

On another note I have a re-tubed d44 center and 4link brackets axle project that would pair nicely that I would like to sell.
I would just be worried about the ring gear size on a dana 44, I am looking into that though. Sure would be nice to just bolt everything together.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Im just talking about taking some junk yard axles and putting them together. Like a Ford 9" center section with dana 44 out assemblies and custom inner axle shafts. On the rear I can build a full float 9 fairly cheap. It wont have any kind of fancy billet chunk or anything, but it will be a lot lighter than an axle built to carry a lot of weight.

I had built a steering 14 bolt with dana 60 outers for my rock bouncer years ago, same concept with lighter parts. Click the image to open in full size.
With your fab skills, have you ever thought of building a very light standard cab?

Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #13
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
With your fab skills, have you ever thought of building a very light standard cab?
Every day, I already have a single cab truck sitting with no engine or trans. However I dont have the time or space for a full build like that. Right now, especially during race season, I just want quick projects that I can swap out on the truck and still make it to races.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #14
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Found these on Curries website. Just run Dana 44 outers and 35 spline axles.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-4303C

Old 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Currie is a good way to go.

For reference, I had a 98 2nd gen ram SCSB with the D44 front with 35's, and I converted it into a decent wheeler. It had welded diffs, Yukon axle shafts, and a stock 360 engine. I still broke shafts at the yoke pretty often. It happened when I'd get wheel hop and keep into it, so shock loading like crazy, but man did that 360 not make power. I feel like the HP needed for a 9s truck would snap those shafts like nothing.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
DieselheaD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post

For reference, I had a 98 2nd gen ram SCSB with the D44 front with 35's, and I converted it into a decent wheeler. It had welded diffs, Yukon axle shafts, and a stock 360 engine. I still broke shafts at the yoke pretty often. It happened when I'd get wheel hop and keep into it, so shock loading like crazy, but man did that 360 not make power. I feel like the HP needed for a 9s truck would snap those shafts like nothing.
That’s the problem, there’s no shaft off the shelf with 35 splines that has an end yoke that will fit the d44. Only option is RCV shafts, or expensive custom shafts

Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post

Wheeling and drag racing are two completely different animals as far as axles go. Ive seen a 6 cylinder Jeep snap a rear shaft on a Dana 80... but we used to run front and rear 10 bolt axles on my mud trucks with cut 40" Boggers, 1000hp big blocks, at 4k lbs, and leaving on a trans brake with very few issues.

Nitro gear makes a set of Dana 44 axles, but due to the custom width you would probably be looking at a custom length axle anyway. Not sure if the joint would fit without hitting, but you may be able to run a set of stock Dana 60 axles if you size the housing to them. Currie can make the housing any width you want.

Thats what I did with my steering 14bolt, I just machined a set of spider gears to fit in the 14b carrier and welded it all up. I sized the axle housing to fit the axle shafts, and then I could use Dana 60 shafts from right off the shelf.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That’s the problem, there’s no shaft off the shelf with 35 splines that has an end yoke that will fit the d44. Only option is RCV shafts, or expensive custom shafts
For custom axles at a good price check out Branik Motorsports and tell them that I recommended them. They build great axles for many budgets and really know their stuff!!!

Home

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Closed Thread