48RE Performance Transmission Rebuild

We've tried a lot of different band setups and have found the Borg Warner solid flex band to hold up to locked 2-3 shifts better then any of the OEM style bands with only 8 rivets. The Borg Warner band has 10 rivets holding the anchor to the band vs 8 on the OEM style band. We have seen 3 of the OEM style bands (friction material irrelevant) break in half along the top row of rivets, we have yet to see the BW with 10 rivets fail.
The Rigid bands tend to burn the front or back of the band off from getting into a bind and not being able to flex and apply the whole width of the drum. Most of these problems were only found on 900+HP trucks.

20140411_120926_zpsvem7w6jl.jpg

Have you used the BW on any 1300+hp trucks yet? Just wondering how it compares to the pro series Raybestos. I've also heard of the rigid or solid bands distorting/warping the drum on high hp trucks.

Have you used the BW on any 1300+hp trucks yet? Just wondering how it compares to the pro series Raybestos. I've also heard of the rigid or solid bands distorting/warping the drum on high hp trucks.

We had the BW band in Banean Woosley's DPC 2013 transmission that held 1255HP, ran best of 10.5@131 and it faired well.

Lavon

Also we have seen a few of these plates come out of transmissions broken into 3 or 4 pieces. Thats why we machine the 47re style pressure plate to keep as much material on the pressure plate as possible to keep the pressure plate from flexing and ending up coned (burns inside edge of friction) or broken. Its a minor difference but we have yet to see a failure since we started machining our own pressure plates.

OEM Dodge plate
Parts8_zps14c8fcb2.jpg

Pressure plate we machined
20140411_120657_zpsflhsplbg.jpg

^ Is that the OD brake pressure plate? I had one of those 48re plates warp on me and burnt up the clutches. I said screw it and went back to the 5 clutch OD setup.

Sent from phone

Yes that is the OD pressure plate, real honestly most of the OEM stepped plates we remove are in perfect condition but when you do 30-40 builds a month, you can't afford taking chances when there being shipped nationwide.

Lavon

We've tried a lot of different band setups and have found the Borg Warner solid flex band to hold up to locked 2-3 shifts better then any of the OEM style bands with only 8 rivets. The Borg Warner band has 10 rivets holding the anchor to the band vs 8 on the OEM style band. We have seen 3 of the OEM style bands (friction material irrelevant) break in half along the top row of rivets, we have yet to see the BW with 10 rivets fail.
The Rigid bands tend to burn the front or back of the band off from getting into a bind and not being able to flex and apply the whole width of the drum. Most of these problems were only found on 900+HP trucks.

20140411_120926_zpsvem7w6jl.jpg

Would you still say that they BW band is better for a truck putting out 500hp. Im not sure if they are made of Kevlar are not just have heard people say that Kevlar is hard on drums? Is the BW band wider than stock band?

Last edited:
My brother didn't have as good of luck.
ypu4are8.jpg
a4ebusan.jpg
6ehuqydy.jpg

The band lavon uses is on the right, not the same one in your brothers Trans. That was likely a raybestos band

I've used the raybestos pro series band in a lot of builds and haven't had an issue, but I don't have to run a ton of pressure on most of my builds because of the HP levels.

The band lavon uses is on the right, not the same one in your brothers Trans. That was likely a raybestos band

I've used the raybestos pro series band in a lot of builds and haven't had an issue, but I don't have to run a ton of pressure on most of my builds because of the HP levels.

It says raybestos pro right on it?? Also were those clutches smoked as a result of the band breaking or vice versa?

It says raybestos pro right on it?? Also were those clutches smoked as a result of the band breaking or vice versa?

Yea, it's not a bad band, just has some issues with high line pressure, especially with high ratio levers and servos. It shouldn't have anything to do with burning up the 3rd gear clutches. Do you have any idea what kind of line pressure the Trans is making?

Yea, it's not a bad band, just has some issues with high line pressure, especially with high ratio levers and servos. It shouldn't have anything to do with burning up the 3rd gear clutches. Do you have any idea what kind of line pressure the Trans is making?

No I don't. TRE built the trans and it only lasted 8 months and less than 10,000 miles. He warrantied it fully so its no big deal.

I will see if I can find what band Steve uses in the race truck trans, as it has been in for 4 seasons now, and is going back in this season.

Is it just me or everyone else not able to view any pictures from post 47-51

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Do you guys run ARP TC bolts? And where did you get them from?

Also, are you guys using red loctite and the stock 35ftlbs on them?

I just use stock bolts, or whatever comes with the TC. Always loctite and just tighten them with a long ratchet. Never had one come loose when we've done that.

Failed at roughly 230-250psi line pressure, it now has a stock servo and a billet band from Suncoast. 48re with pcs/ATS valvebody

eqesejaj.jpg

I think most guys just run the TC bolts that come w/ the DPC converters, and i always use a little bit of loctite on them.

Amazing build! i'll have to wait till the pic can load but i'm in the middle of looking for a good 48re for a rebuild. I can feel mine not being very happy!

Is it just me or everyone else not able to view any pictures from post 47-51

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Amazing build! i'll have to wait till the pic can load but i'm in the middle of looking for a good 48re for a rebuild. I can feel mine not being very happy!

Sorry guys, I exceeded my 10GB bandwidth allotment on my free Photobucket account.

I just had to fork over $30 per year to keep my pictures up and live... I guess that's the cost of sharing information.

:welcome:

Back