So... I bought a Smart CDI

SPEEDSHIFT

I needed something for my wife to run around in the pits in, so I bought a Canadian Smart ForTwo Passion CDI. The previous owner drove it until it started having issues so he got another engine for it and never installed it, lost interest in the project. I got the engine put back in but can’t get it to fire. It has good rail pressure, reads RPM, is asking for 20mm3 of fuel, but will not fire the injectors.

Taking this somewhere with a STAR diagnostic tool is not plausible because I would have to take it back to Canada as Mercedes will not release Canadian software to the US dealers. I have gone through the entire electrical system and checked fuses and connections, even disassembled the SAM and the other box looking for burnt/corroded boards. I have checked all grounds, it has a brand new battery and alternator. I have also swapped in two other sets of used injectors with no change. It will run on starting fluid, but not stay running. Injectors just won’t activate. It seems to have good compression, I looked at the cylinders with a bore scope and you can still see the crosshatching.

I am in the process now of replacing the complete engine and transmission harness and sensors from the original engine.

Anyone have experience with these? I’m about to sell it.
6ab09029e1b40e916b8c149d0e0bd556.jpg

The only experience I have with those is laughing at them.
You can't just send the ECM to Canada ? You could probably box it up and UPS it pretty cheap...Haha

I don’t have much interest investing anymore time than I already have in this thing... I just want it to work.

Anybody want it? $3000 with two spare engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah man, you gotta be able to figure it out. It's probably something freaking stupid that'll be obvious when you find it.

Going to have to look at the injector circuit diagram, and start scoping the injector circuits and seeing what isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I don’t have much interest investing anymore time than I already have in this thing... I just want it to work.

Anybody want it? $3000 with two spare engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if those things have that safety feature like the Fords used to? The crash switch ?? Maybe ??

Convert it to a smart busa.

I was impressed till I noticed every time he got in the yard the burnouts stopped until he was back on the pavement. The only sod slinging was close to the end when he threw it on the kid on the porch, but I think that was accidental.

I give him a 1.78 after deductions.

I wonder if those things have that safety feature like the Fords used to? The crash switch ?? Maybe ??

I wish it was something that simple and easy to find. It has the correct rail pressure while cranking, ECU “says” it is asking for 20mm3 of duration, crank signal is correct, but it won’t fire the injectors... the engine is made by Mercedes, so its way more complicated than it needs to be. These cars have an “immobilizer” system that ties into everything on the car, if everything isn’t perfect it won’t start. They are a common problem and the only way you can read anything is with the Mercedes dealer scan tool. The problem with that for me is, this is a Canadian car and Mercedes will not release the software to US dealers.

Back