Just bought a 1988 kw w900

I’ve been looking for a ntc 444 manual but haven’t found one that lists the 444 in it. Does it matter if I get a book for the ntc 350 ?

Attachments

• 137D8E8B-A683-43BD-A380-3604F9A042CC.png
    137D8E8B-A683-43BD-A380-3604F9A042CC.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 141E4D6F-D625-46C2-A8E5-0C42790B5856.png
    141E4D6F-D625-46C2-A8E5-0C42790B5856.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 16387515-9342-4403-B2AB-8CBF7C1C20DF.png
    16387515-9342-4403-B2AB-8CBF7C1C20DF.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Any recommendations for a place to send in my injectors or buy from ?
The compressor seems to be running non stop also.

The egt probe is installed after the turbo. Should I move it to the manifold ?

We use Diesel Pumps & Injectors out of Houston. They have always done right by me. Bart and Mary are great folks to deal with. Very nice and a very very clean facility.
I've brought in some weird stuff and they always seem to have a solution.

I’ve been looking for a ntc 444 manual but haven’t found one that lists the 444 in it. Does it matter if I get a book for the ntc 350 ?

Basically the Big IV manual is going to cover all the engines regardless of horsepower rating. Your engine is the last generation of the Big Cam, and also the last of the Big IV generations. I bet I can find you a manual here.

As far as the pump and injectors, we can gladly help you there. I'm so tired of emission based repairs. It's nice to work on something older that doesn't try to think for itself. Yu have my email, and phone number Schmitty.

Basically the Big IV manual is going to cover all the engines regardless of horsepower rating. Your engine is the last generation of the Big Cam, and also the last of the Big IV generations. I bet I can find you a manual here.

As far as the pump and injectors, we can gladly help you there. I'm so tired of emission based repairs. It's nice to work on something older that doesn't try to think for itself. Yu have my email, and phone number Schmitty.

X2 on the emissions. It’s such a shame. Just when Cat had the C15 dialed in to perfection, BAM! ACERT time! We couldn’t buy 6NZ’s fast enough when the glider craze came through. Even on the industrial side, people don’t realize that it’s just the after treatment that ever gives problems; the engines themselves are virtually bulletproof.

Any recommendations for a place to send in my injectors or buy from ?
The compressor seems to be running non stop also.

The egt probe is installed after the turbo. Should I move it to the manifold ?

Diesel controls or Premco in Texas, both do excellent work.

More accurate reading in the manifold, but post turbo isn’t an issue, just be cautious with it. Around 2-300* drop.

I will get you the STC troubleshooting stuff this weekend, the valve can be rebuilt, but it should be sending oil to the rockers at an idle.

Is the lash on the Injectors and valves set right? If they are out of will cause harder starts and some of the same issues you speek of.

Nice truck by the way! I do have a soft spot for the big cam cummins. They sure are smooth and quiet compare to the small cam. Neither like to be luged though.

Diesel controls or Premco in Texas, both do excellent work.

More accurate reading in the manifold, but post turbo isn’t an issue, just be cautious with it. Around 2-300* drop.

I will get you the STC troubleshooting stuff this weekend, the valve can be rebuilt, but it should be sending oil to the rockers at an idle.

Right on thanks. I’ve been wanting to get to work on the thing. Just about done with some remodel work on the house …. Should be able to spend some evenings in the shop again.

Is the lash on the Injectors and valves set right? If they are out of will cause harder starts and some of the same issues you speek of.

Nice truck by the way! I do have a soft spot for the big cam cummins. They sure are smooth and quiet compare to the small cam. Neither like to be luged though.

I’ve been ready to tear into it , check the lash, set it obc , check cam lift , and swap the #1 and 2 injectors since #1 doesn’t really build heat compared to the rest. Crossing my fingers it’s the overhead or injector.

I’ll just be pulling a side dump trailer locally. Some hills but nothing bad , going to pick up the trailer soon. Having to sell my 95 ram though which is a bummer.

Attachments

• 2B9515D1-CE4B-46D3-871A-C3FDA94D682B.png
    2B9515D1-CE4B-46D3-871A-C3FDA94D682B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I’ve been ready to tear into it , check the lash, set it obc , check cam lift , and swap the #1 and 2 injectors since #1 doesn’t really build heat compared to the rest. Crossing my fingers it’s the overhead or injector.

I’ll just be pulling a side dump trailer locally. Some hills but nothing bad , going to pick up the trailer soon. Having to sell my 95 ram though which is a bummer.

Doing the overhead is a good place to start. ? hopefully that clears up the problem.

That's a bummer about you needing to sell the 95.

Back