Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > Ford / NewHolland
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ford / NewHolland The Blue Effect

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Ford 3000 will not prime (Simms in-line pump)

Well, tractor was parked for 6 months. Dad decided to replace the fuel filters. I went through the manual and properly bled the filters, then the pump. I can not get fuel to the injectors. We tried pulling it down the road for the hell of it and nothing.

I’ve searched all I can and can’t figure it out so maybe you guys have a trick or two. It was my late grandfathers and it means a lot to me. Would like to use it again.

70’s model. 3 cylinder with a Simms inline pump.

Lift pump is working, but I can’t verify if the rack could be stuck or what not. I have a factory manual.

Old 05-11-2023, 01:11 PM   #2
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
You may try cracking the fuel lines right at the injectors, hook up a battery charger, and crank until you see fuel at the lines. Don't want to crank so much as to burn the starter up, but 10-15 seconds at a time should get it bled out. Once you see fuel at the loosened lines, tighten them as they start to run pretty good.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #3
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Try to start it on eather, maybe engine at running speed will pull some fuel through?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2023, 05:07 PM   #4
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
You may try cracking the fuel lines right at the injectors, hook up a battery charger, and crank until you see fuel at the lines. Don't want to crank so much as to burn the starter up, but 10-15 seconds at a time should get it bled out. Once you see fuel at the loosened lines, tighten them as they start to run pretty good.
Sorry I should have been more thorough. We’ve tried that probably 20 times now as far as using the starter. Can’t get a single drop. I almost questioned if I should remove them completely and confirm they are not plugged, but I can’t imagine how that would happen.

There is also a “button” that is the shaft coming out of the pump for fuel shut off. Pushing in for full fuel or cold cranking. Still nothing. Verified shaft is turning with fuel shut off cable.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Try to start it on eather, maybe engine at running speed will pull some fuel through?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yep tried that as well. It will run on ether. Still not a drop from injector lines

Old 05-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #6
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
This is all I could find on bleeding it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is from an online manual I found here. It's on page 193.

https://www.slideshare.net/ClaudioLo...00700019651975
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleed.jpg (184.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg system.jpg (216.3 KB, 0 views)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Last edited by BigPapa; 05-11-2023 at 06:04 PM.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Thank you for the phone call and info Scott. Nice to hear that I haven’t missed anything dumb. Yet ha.

That looks to be one of the manuals I have.

I’m going to remove the injector lines at the pump to verify they aren’t somehow plugged. I will also remove the timing plate to verify the pump shaft is turning.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:03 AM   #8
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
You sure the tank, or lines aren't clogged up with algea growth? Being you said it's been sitting up 6 months.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #9
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
You sure the tank, or lines aren't clogged up with algea growth? Being you said it's been sitting up 6 months.
I will dip the tank to verify, but it gravity feeds easily. Nice bright colored fuel.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #10
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
He said he's getting fuel at the bleed screw on the pump. Sure seems to me there's something going on with the shutdown lever, but he said he'd checked that.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 05-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #11
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
He said he's getting fuel at the bleed screw on the pump. Sure seems to me there's something going on with the shutdown lever, but he said he'd checked that.

That, or the plungers in the injector pump stuck from sitting all that time with diesel fuel in it.

Might be worth removing the injection lines from the pump and spraying WD or PB Blaster down in there. then let it sit over night. Leave the lines off and crank it. That may free them up enough to start pumping.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:06 PM   #12
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
That, or the plungers in the injector pump stuck from sitting all that time with diesel fuel in it.

Might be worth removing the injection lines from the pump and spraying WD or PB Blaster down in there. then let it sit over night. Leave the lines off and crank it. That may free them up enough to start pumping.
That sounds like a pretty solid idea. I’ll give it a try.

I will try to find an exploded diagram of the pump or maybe just use pics of other pumps best I can. Need to verify the shutdown lever. Looks to be a bit raggedy where the lever mates to the shaft.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:43 PM   #13
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Is there a coupler In that pump like the roosamaster (sp) or maybe it was a CAV that had the coupler?

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:09 PM   #14
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Not sure what you mean by coupler? I actually just found a damn good video of a complete tear down and rebuild of the exact pump we have. Much more simple than I imagined haha no special tools needed really. Delivery valve socket at least.

Stupid question I’m sure.. but the fuel shutdown cable, is it separate from the throttle or rack? Basically could the shutdown shaft at the pump not be rotating enough to allow fuel, yet the throttle lever still works freely?

Old 05-12-2023, 11:39 PM   #15
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Member`s Gallery
We have a Princeton piggyback forklift (4 cylinder mechanically injected cat/Perkins motor) that rides on the back of one of our trailers. This winter on a super cold day the driver was doing a delivery and couple miles a part and loaded it back up and left it running. Got to the next stop and it had died. We thought it had gelled up, but it actually had someth6go wrong in the governor housing and it wouldn't push the fuel shut off all open, therefore wouldn't start.

Just wondering how your pump is set up with the fuel shut off ect, and if there is something internally hindering the fuel shut off to not be fully opened?

Old 05-13-2023, 12:00 AM   #16
bateman

Member`s Gallery
That’s pretty much what I’m wondering. You put into words much better haha I’m going to remove the inspection cover to verify the rack moves. Just not sure if that’s separate from the shut off or not.

Old 05-13-2023, 12:13 AM   #17
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
the fuel shutdown cable, is it separate from the throttle or rack? Basically could the shutdown shaft at the pump not be rotating enough to allow fuel, yet the throttle lever still works freely?
Are you asking if the shutdown lever stops the throttle from moving? They are independent of each other. The shutdown lever cuts off fuel to the IP. The throttle will still move no matter what position the shutdown lever is in.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 05-13-2023, 08:08 AM   #18
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Scott. I will dig in further today hopefully.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:15 AM   #19
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
That sounds like a pretty solid idea. I’ll give it a try.

I will try to find an exploded diagram of the pump or maybe just use pics of other pumps best I can. Need to verify the shutdown lever. Looks to be a bit raggedy where the lever mates to the shaft.
I wouldn't be afraid to prime the pump with a gallon jug of WD-40. Let it work on everything from the inside.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 05-14-2023, 02:59 PM   #20
bateman

Member`s Gallery
How free should the rack move? It doesn’t move with the throttle lever.

Closed Thread