Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
Black Diesel

Name: Black Diesel
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
GT4202r

I have searched and really couldn't find the answer to my questions. First off, after having an s400, will I need to change my downpipe to fit the Garrett turbine housing or will the 4 5/8" s400 flange and clamp work? Second, I assume the compressor discharge is the same and the cast aluminum elbow I had for my s400 will work as well? Being it is water cooled ball bearing turbo, are there any special mounting and plumbing technicalities I need to know about? I've read about restrictors for the oil feed maybe? Do they mount the same as a JB s400? I am new to the Garrett line of turbos so all insight is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...il_water_lines

The turbine outlet is the same. I would ask Weston about the oil restrictors.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
dmigz57

Name: dmigz57
Member`s Gallery
-4 oil feed for ball bearing is what Weston uses.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
I appreciate both y'alls response! Would regular -4 line from say summit work or would one be better off using a smaller diameter feed line? I'm between the JB unit and the dual BB unit right now. If I go the JB route, I will be upgrading to the dual BB chra when I make the transition to compounds. Being new to Garrett's line of chargers, does anyone have any ideas on what I can expect from this GT4202 compared to s400's I have ran? I've run a 68/83/.90 and the new s472 SXE (which took a dump at not even 50 miles so that's back at Borg being looked at and not knowing how long that warranty will take, I decided to venture into the Garrett turbos).

Old 09-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
ramthiscummins

Name: ramthiscummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diesel View Post
I appreciate both y'alls response! Would regular -4 line from say summit work or would one be better off using a smaller diameter feed line? I'm between the JB unit and the dual BB unit right now. If I go the JB route, I will be upgrading to the dual BB chra when I make the transition to compounds. Being new to Garrett's line of chargers, does anyone have any ideas on what I can expect from this GT4202 compared to s400's I have ran? I've run a 68/83/.90 and the new s472 SXE (which took a dump at not even 50 miles so that's back at Borg being looked at and not knowing how long that warranty will take, I decided to venture into the Garrett turbos).

This is why I went with a s467. I have read a few 369s failing on another forum so I was a bit skeptical about running one.

Have you considered calling Weston and talking to him about a garrett turbo?
JEB machine makes them. They have a GT42 with a 75mm bilet wheel and an hx40 exhaust vband.

Last edited by ramthiscummins; 09-16-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Weston and I have already conversed about the BB unit and I have since put an order for one in. I'm thinking it will be a week or so until it shows up.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
ramthiscummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Weston and I have already conversed about the BB unit and I have since put an order for one in. I'm thinking it will be a week or so until it shows up.

Right on!

Old 12-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
ctd>therest

Name: ctd>therest
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Did Borg warranty it? My S472sxe took a dump after about 5000 miles but only 250 under heavy fueling.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd>therest View Post
Did Borg warranty it? My S472sxe took a dump after about 5000 miles but only 250 under heavy fueling.

Borg did send me a new 72 SXE. I'm selling it though because I already have the GT42 and want to go this route.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
ramthiscummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Borg did send me a new 72 SXE. I'm selling it though because I already have the GT42 and want to go this route.

You need to get some videos of it .

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Bumping this up. Wondering what is available as far as a comp wheel upgrade for the GT42. Would like to see where I can push this single GT42 to as a single. Wondering if it's realistic to see 1100 out of it on an engine I have plans for with a more efficient cylinder head and larger valves on a 4.21" bore. Just looking to break into the 10's with a mega cab, not consistently race there, more just to say I have a 10 second mega. If it won't be enough I'll either compound the GT42 or step up to a GT45. Thanks for all your insight in advance.

Closed Thread