Daily Bread

Don’t Walk Away

Read: Jeremiah 1:4-9 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 1–3; Luke 8:26-56

Before you were born I set you apart. Jeremiah 1:5

In 1986, John Piper nearly quit as minister of a large church. At that time he admitted in his journal: “I am so discouraged. I am so blank. I feel like there are opponents on every hand.” But Piper didn’t walk away, and God used him to lead a thriving ministry that would eventually reach far beyond his church.

Although success is a word easily misunderstood, we might call John Piper successful. But what if his ministry had never flourished?

The Father yearns for everyone to turn to Him.
God gave the prophet Jeremiah a direct call. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,” God said. “Before you were born I set you apart” (Jer. 1:5). God encouraged him not to fear his enemies, “for I am with you and will rescue you” (v. 8).

Jeremiah later lamented his commission with ironic language for a man with a prenatal calling. “Alas, my mother, that you gave me birth, a man with whom the whole land strives and contends!” (15:10).

God did protect Jeremiah, but his ministry never thrived. His people never repented. He saw them slaughtered, enslaved, and scattered. Yet despite a lifetime of discouragement and rejection, he never walked away. He knew that God didn’t call him to success but to faithfulness. He trusted the God who called him. Jeremiah’s resilient compassion shows us the heart of the Father, who yearns for everyone to turn to Him.

Do you sense a call from God? Where in your calling have you encountered discouragement? How do you define success, and how do you react to it when you experience it?

Beware of giving up too soon. Our emotions are not reliable guides. John Piper

INSIGHT:
Today’s reading recounts God’s setting apart of Jeremiah the prophet. The Scriptures tell us that God appointed him as a prophet at a young age. His ministry would last for over 40 years and would coincide with the reigns of five kings of Judah—Josiah, Jehoahaz, Jehoiakim, Jehoiachin, and Zedekiah. Jeremiah is called “the weeping prophet,” and it was during his ministry that Israel’s disobedience prompted the exile and captivity by Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonian empire. Jeremiah’s ministry saw many heartbreaking things, including the forced march of Daniel and other young men from the royal families of Israel into Babylonian exile (Dan. 1:1–6). Dennis Moles

The Hollywood Hills Cross

Read: 1 Corinthians 1:18-31 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 4–6; Luke 9:1-17

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Galatians 6:14

One of the most recognizable images in the US is the “HOLLYWOOD” sign in Southern California. People from all over the globe come to “Tinseltown” to gaze at cement footprints of stars and perhaps catch a glimpse of celebrities who might pass by. It’s hard for these visitors to miss the sign anchored in the foothills nearby.

Less well known in the Hollywood hills is another easily recognized symbol—one with eternal significance. Known as the Hollywood Pilgrimage Memorial Monument, this 32-foot cross looks out over the city. The cross was placed there in memory of Christine Wetherill Stevenson, a wealthy heiress who in the 1920s established the Pilgrimage Theatre (now the John Anson Ford Theatre). The site served as the venue for The Pilgrimage Play, a drama about Christ.

The work of Christ is a story of the loving God who pursues us.
The two icons showcase an interesting contrast. Movies good and bad will come and go. Their entertainment value, artistic contributions, and relevance are temporary at best.

The cross, however, reminds us of a drama eternal in scope. The work of Christ is a story of the loving God who pursues us and invites us to accept His offer of complete forgiveness. The high drama of Jesus’ death is rooted in history. His resurrection conquered death and has an eternal impact for all of us. The cross will never lose its meaning and power.

Thank You, Father, for the eternal significance of the cross. Help us to understand and appreciate the love that caused Your Son to embrace His cross for our sakes.

To know the meaning of the cross, you must know the One who died there.

INSIGHT:
Paul speaks of different responses to the cross: The Jews expected a mighty deliverer and stumbled over the idea of Christ being crucified (1 Cor. 1:23). The Greeks laughed at the absurdity of a dead man giving everlasting life (v. 23). But to all who believe, the cross is the power and wisdom of God that saves (vv. 21,24). Sim Kay Tee

His Plans or Ours?

Read: 1 Chronicles 17:1-20 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 7–9; Luke 9:18-36

“Who am I, Lord God . . . that you have brought me this far?” 1 Chronicles 17:16

When my husband was 18 years old, he started a car-cleaning business. He rented a garage, hired helpers, and created advertising brochures. The business prospered. His intention was to sell it and use the proceeds to pay for college, so he was thrilled when a buyer expressed interest. After some negotiations, it seemed that the transaction would happen. But at the last minute, the deal collapsed. It wouldn’t be until several months later that his plan to sell the business would succeed.

It’s normal to be disappointed when God’s timing and design for our lives do not match our expectations. When David wanted to build the Lord’s temple, he had the right motives, the leadership ability, and the resources. Yet God said he could not undertake the project because he had killed too many people in battle (1 Chron. 22:8).

True satisfaction is found in yielding ourselves to the will of God.
David could have shaken his fist at the sky in anger. He could have pouted or plowed ahead with his own plans. But he humbly said, “Who am I, Lord God . . . that you have brought me this far?” (17:16). David went on to praise God and affirm his devotion to Him. He valued his relationship with God more than his ambition.

What is more important—achieving our hopes and dreams, or our love for God?

Dear heavenly Father, I commit all of my plans to You. Thank You for bringing me this far. You mean more to me than anything in the world.

True satisfaction is found in yielding ourselves to the will of God.

In Transition

Read: John 11:17-27 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 10–12; Luke 9:37-62

We will be with the Lord forever. 1 Thessalonians 4:17

People post obituary notices on billboards and concrete block walls in Ghana regularly. Headlines such as Gone Too Soon, Celebration of Life,and What a Shock! announce the passing away of loved ones and the approaching funerals. One I read—In Transition—points to life beyond the grave.

When a close relative or friend dies, we sorrow as Mary and Martha did for their brother Lazarus (John 11:17-27). We miss the departed so much that our hearts break and we weep, as Jesus wept at the passing of His friend (v. 35).

"Whoever lives by believing in me will never die." John 11:25
Yet, it was at this sorrowful moment Jesus made a delightful statement on life after death: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die” (v. 25).

On the basis of this we give departed believers only a temporary farewell. For they “will be with the Lord forever,” Paul emphasizes (1 Thess. 4:17). Of course, farewells are painful, but we can rest assured that they are in the Lord’s safe hands.

In Transition suggests that we are only changing from one situation to another. Though life on earth ends for us, we will continue to live forever and better in the next life where Jesus is. “Therefore encourage one another with these words” (v. 18).

It is because of You, Jesus, that we have hope and are sure of a forever life. We’re grateful.

For help in dealing with loss, read Life After Loss at discoveryseries.org/cb131

Because of Jesus, we can live forever.

INSIGHT:
Martha, Lazarus’s sister, is one of the most misunderstood characters in the New Testament. We usually think of her in the context of Luke 10:38–42, where Jesus challenges her misdirected priorities. This often leads to the conclusion that she was somehow spiritually inferior to her sister, Mary. However, Martha is the one who expresses her confidence in Christ to do something about the death of her brother (John 11:21–22). And she makes a wonderful statement on the deity of Christ, showing that she, in fact, had great depth of spiritual understanding (v. 27). Bill Crowder

Who Am I Working For?

Read: Ecclesiastes 4:4-16 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 17–18; Luke 11:1-28

“For whom am I toiling,” he asked, “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?” Ecclesiastes 4:8

Henry worked 70 hours a week. He loved his job and brought home a sizeable paycheck to provide good things for his family. He always had plans to slow down but he never did. One evening he came home with great news—he had been promoted to the highest position in his company. But no one was home. Over the years, his children had grown up and moved out, his wife had found a career of her own, and now the house was empty. There was no one to share the good news with.

Solomon talked about the need to keep a balance in life with our work. He wrote, “Fools fold their hands and ruin themselves” (Eccl. 4:5). We don’t want to go to the extreme of being lazy, but neither do we want to fall into the trap of being a workaholic. “Better one handful with tranquillity than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind” (v. 6). In other words, it is better to have less and enjoy it more. Sacrificing relationships at the altar of success is unwise. Achievement is fleeting, while relationships are what make our life meaningful, rewarding, and enjoyable (vv. 7-12).

The Lord can give us this wisdom as we seek Him and trust Him to be our Provider.
We can learn to work to live and not live to work by choosing to apportion our time wisely. The Lord can give us this wisdom as we seek Him and trust Him to be our Provider.

Lord, show me if my priorities are skewed and where I need to make changes. Thank You for the gift of family and friends.

To spend time wisely, invest it in eternity.

INSIGHT:
The book of Ecclesiastes laments the vanity of life when God is not taken into account. In regard to our work, Solomon calls us to seek moderation and contentment (4:6–8) and to find meaning, satisfaction, and enjoyment in cooperation with others (vv. 9–12). Sim Kay Tee

https://vimeo.com/85752815

That is a link to week 1 of Kevin Meyers 12 Stone church Home run series.

He uses a baseball diamond to lay out a biblical pattern of living. It starts with dependence on God.

We started this series two weeks ago and has a lots of why didn't I realize that moments.

Resisting the Trap

Read: Genesis 4:1-8 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 19–21; Luke 11:29-54
Sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it. Genesis 4:7
A Venus flytrap can digest an insect in about 10 days. The process begins when an unsuspecting bug smells nectar on the leaves that form the trap. When the insect investigates, it crawls into the jaws of the plant. The leaves clamp shut within half a second and digestive juices dissolve the bug.

This meat-eating plant reminds me of the way sin can devour us if we are lured into it. Sin is hungry for us. Genesis 4:7 says, “If you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you.” God spoke these words to Cain just before he killed his brother Abel.

Relying on God’s Spirit supplies the power to live for Him and others.
Sin may try to entice us by tempting us with a new experience, convincing us that living right doesn’t matter, or appealing to our physical senses. However, there is a way for us to rule over sin instead of letting it consume our lives. The Bible says, “Walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh” (Gal. 5:16). When we face temptation, we don’t face it alone. We have supernatural assistance. Relying on God’s Spirit supplies the power to live for Him and others.

Dear God, at times I let down my guard and indulge in sin. Please help me to listen to Your warnings and obey Your Word. Protect me from my own impulses and conform me to Your image. Thank You for Your work in me.

We fall into temptation when we don’t flee from it.

INSIGHT:
There has been much theological debate as to why God accepted Abel’s sacrifice and rejected Cain’s (Gen. 4:4–5). One popular theory is that Abel’s sacrifice mirrored God’s act in the garden of Eden that provided covering for Adam and Eve—by means of an animal’s death—after they disobeyed God (3:21). Another view is that Cain’s offering of what he had grown by his own efforts pictured works, but Abel’s offering of a lamb pictured God’s ultimate sacrifice of grace. It seems that these brothers must have been given some idea of what was—and was not—considered an acceptable offering. Bill Crowder

Heart Check

Read: Luke 12:22-34 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 22–24; Luke 12:1-31

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34

When commuting into Chicago on the train, I always followed the “unwritten codes of conduct”—such as, no conversations with people sitting next to you if you don’t know them. That was tough on a guy like me who has never met a stranger. I love talking to new people! Although I kept the code of silence, I realized that you can still learn something about people based on the section of the newspaper they read. So I’d watch to see what they turned to first: The business section? Sports? Politics? Current events? Their choices revealed their interests.

Our choices are always revealing. Of course, God doesn’t need to wait to see our choices in order for Him to know what’s in our hearts. But the things that occupy our time and attention are telling. As Jesus said, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Luke 12:34). Regardless of what we want Him to think of us, the true condition of our heart becomes clear based on how we use our time, our money, and our talents. When we invest these resources in the things He cares about, then it reveals that our hearts are in tune with His.

The true condition of our heart becomes clear based on how we use our time, our money, and our talents.
God’s heart is with the needs of people and the advancement of His kingdom. What do your choices tell Him and others about where your heart is?

Lord, I want my heart to be in tune with Yours. Forgive me for giving it to things of far less value, and teach me the joy of investing my time in opportunities to serve You. Thank You.

Where is your treasure?

INSIGHT:
The familiar words “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Luke 12:34) are found in an interesting context. They are uttered after Jesus tells those listening not to worry about the cares of this world because the heavenly Father will take care of their needs. His provision allows us to seek the kingdom of God and not become excessively preoccupied with our temporary earthly needs. J.R. Hudberg

“Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Luke 12:34). Regardless of what we want Him to think of us, the true condition of our heart becomes clear based on how we use our time, our money, and our talents. When we invest these resources in the things He cares about, then it reveals that our hearts are in tune with His.

Difficult to hear be necessary to be reminded that's for sure. It's easy for me to get off on rabbit trails sometimes.

This Is the Day

Read: Psalm 118:19-29 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 25–26; Luke 12:32-59

This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. —nkjv Psalm 118:24

In 1940, Dr. Virginia Connally, age 27, braved opposition and criticism to become the first female physician in Abilene, Texas. A few months before her 100th birthday in 2012, the Texas Medical Association presented her with its Distinguished Service Award, Texas’ highest physician honor. Between those two landmark events, Dr. Connally has enthusiastically embraced a passion for spreading the gospel around the world through her many medical mission trips while living a life of service to God and to others—one day at a time.

Dr. Connally’s pastor, Phil Christopher, said, “Every day for her is a gift.” He recalled a letter in which she wrote, “Every tour, trip, effort, I wonder if this will be my last and ultimate? Only God knows. And this is enough.”

God made today. Let’s celebrate it!
The psalmist wrote, “This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” (Ps. 118:24 nkjv). So often we focus on the disappointments of yesterday or the uncertainties of tomorrow and miss God’s matchless gift to us: Today!

Dr. Connally said of her journey with Christ, “As you live a life of faith, you’re not looking for the results. I was just doing the things that God planted in my life and heart.”

God made today. Let’s celebrate it and make the most of every opportunity to serve others in His name.

Lord, thank You for today. May I embrace it as Your gift, celebrate Your faithfulness, and live this day fully for You.

Welcome each day as a gift from God.

INSIGHT:
The unnamed psalmist of Psalm 118 tells of God’s rescue in response to his cry for help (vv. 5–16). Because of the rescue theme of this psalm, the Jews often sang it after their Passover meal, which commemorated their deliverance from Egyptian slavery. It is possible that Jesus and His disciples sang this thanksgiving song after the Last Supper (Matt. 26:30). Psalm 118:22 is quoted or alluded to in Matthew 21:42, Mark 12:10, Luke 20:17, Acts 4:11, Ephesians 2:20–22, and 1 Peter 2:7. When Jesus entered Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, the crowds shouted the words of Psalm 118:25–26, proclaiming Jesus as their Messiah and Deliverer (Matt. 21:9). Sim Kay Tee

Great Sacrifice

Read: Hebrews 10:5-18 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 27–29; Luke 13:1-22

The Lord Jesus Christ . . . gave himself for our sins to rescue us. Galatians 1:3-4

W. T. Stead, an innovative English journalist at the turn of the 20th century, was known for writing about controversial social issues. Two of the articles he published addressed the danger of ships operating with an insufficient ratio of lifeboats to passengers. Ironically, Stead was aboard the Titanic when it struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic on April 15, 1912. According to one report, after helping women and children into lifeboats, Stead sacrificed his own life by giving up his life vest and a place in the lifeboats so others could be rescued.

There is something very stirring about self-sacrifice. No greater example of that can be found than in Christ Himself. The writer of Hebrews says, “This Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God . . . . For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified” (Heb. 10:12,14 nkjv). In his letter to the Galatians, Paul opened with words describing this great sacrifice: “The Lord Jesus Christ . . . gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age” (Gal. 1:3-4).

Jesus’ offering of Himself on our behalf is the measure of His love for us.
Jesus’ offering of Himself on our behalf is the measure of His love for us. That willing sacrifice continues to rescue men and women and offer assurance of eternity with Him.

God of love and grace, words can never capture the wonder of the sacrifice that Christ offered on our behalf. May our love respond to You with faith and worship—for Your Son who was slain is worthy of our praise.

Read more about the sacrifice of Jesus in the Discovery Series booklet The Power of the Cross.

Jesus laid down His life to show His love for us.

INSIGHT:
Hebrews 10:5–7 is a quotation from the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament. This third-century bc translation was used by many Jews in the first century ad. About 90 percent of the Old Testament quotations in the New Testament are from the Septuagint. Dennis Moles

The God Who Paints

Read: Psalm 42 | Bible in a Year: 2 Samuel 6–8; Luke 15:1-10

00:00
Download MP3 Subscribe to iTunes
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. Psalm 42:2

Nezahualcoyotl (1402–1472) may have had a difficult name to pronounce, but his name is full of significance. It means “Hungry Coyote,” and this man’s writings show a spiritual hunger. As a poet and ruler in Mexico before the arrival of the Europeans, he wrote, “Truly the gods, which I worship, are idols of stone that do not speak nor feel. . . . Some very powerful, hidden and unknown god is the creator of the entire universe. He is the only one that can console me in my affliction and help me in such anguish as my heart feels; I want him to be my helper and protection.”

We cannot know if Nezahualcoyotl found the Giver of life. But during his reign he built a pyramid to the “God who paints things with beauty,” and he banned human sacrifices in his city.

The Living God has revealed Himself through Jesus.
The writers of Psalm 42 cried out, “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God” (v. 2). Every human being desires the true God, just as “the deer pants for streams of water” (v. 1).

Today there are many Hungry Coyotes who know that the idols of fame, money, and relationships can’t fill the void in their souls. The Living God has revealed Himself through Jesus, the only One who gives us meaning and fulfillment. This is good news for those who are hungry for the God who paints things with beauty.

Lord, You are the One my soul needs. Only You can bring meaning and fulfillment to my life. You are the One my heart cries out for. I put my hope in You.

Beneath all of our longings is a deep desire for God.

INSIGHT:
Psalm 42 is one of eleven psalms attributed to the sons of Korah—a Levitical family who were responsible for temple worship. Four of the eleven, including Psalm 42, fall into the category of lament. A lament psalm is one that appeals to God for aid in the face of overwhelming circumstances. In this psalm, the sons of Korah lead the people of Israel to publicly and communally declare their desperate need for God’s provision and rescue. Dennis Moles

God’s Way

Read: Numbers 7:1-9 | Bible in a Year: 2 Samuel 9–11; Luke 15:11-32

They were to carry on their shoulders the holy things, for which they were responsible. Numbers 7:9

We really needed to hear from God. Having been asked to foster two young children as an emergency measure just for 3 months, a decision had to be made about their future. With three older children of our own, becoming foster parents to preschoolers didn’t seem to fit with our life plan and having our family almost double in size had been hard work. Our book of daily readings by the veteran missionary Amy Carmichael directed us to some unfamiliar verses in Numbers 7.

“I wonder how the Kohathites felt?” Amy wrote. “All the other priests had ox-carts to carry their parts of the tabernacle through the desert. But the sons of Kohath had to trudge along the rocky tracks and through the burning sand, with the ‘holy things for which they were responsible’ on their shoulders. Did they ever grumble inwardly, feeling that the other priests had an easier task? Perhaps! But God knows that some things are too precious to be carried on ox-carts and then He asks us to carry them on our shoulders.”

If our loving Father has handpicked us for our task, who are we to whisper, “I can’t do this”?
My husband and I knew this was our answer. We had often thought of sponsoring a child from an undeveloped country, but we hadn’t done so. That would have been easier, much like the ox-cart. Now we had two needy children in our own home to carry “on our shoulders” because they were so precious to Him.

God has different plans for each of us. We might feel that others have an easier assignment, or a more glamorous role to play. But if our loving Father has handpicked us for our task, who are we to whisper, “I can’t do this”?

God uses ordinary people to carry out His extraordinary plans.

INSIGHT:
When we read the books of Leviticus and Numbers, we may wonder why so much detail is given about laws, the construction of the tabernacle, and the provisions for the “holy things.” It may seem unimportant for our understanding of the text. Much detail is also recorded about the garden of Eden in Genesis and the New Jerusalem in Revelation. The details capture the beauty of what was required for God to dwell with His people. J.R. Hudberg

Jesus Wept

Read: John 11:1-4, 38-44 | Bible in a Year: 2 Samuel 12–13; Luke 16

The sting of death is sin. . . . But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.1 Corinthians 15:56-57

I was engrossed in a book when a friend bent over to see what I was reading. Almost immediately, she recoiled and looked at me aghast. “What a gloomy title!” she said. I was reading “The Glass Coffin” inGrimm’s Fairy Tales, and the word coffin disturbed her. Most of us don’t like to be reminded of our mortality. But the reality is that out of 1,000 people, 1,000 people will die.

Death always elicits a deep emotional response. It was at the funeral of one of His dear friends that Jesus displayed strong emotions. When He saw Mary, whose brother had recently died, “he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled” (John 11:33). Another translation says, “a deep anger welled up within him” (nlt).

Christ’s empty tomb guarantees our victory over death.
Jesus was troubled—even angry—but at what? Possibly, He was indignant at sin and its consequences. God didn’t make a world filled with sickness, suffering, and death. But sin entered the world and marred God’s beautiful plan.

The Lord comes alongside us in our grief, weeping with us in our sorrow (v. 35). But more than that, Christ defeated sin and death by dying in our place and rising from the dead (1 Cor. 15:56-57).

Jesus promises, “The one who believes in me will live, even though they die” (John 11:25). As believers we enjoy fellowship with our Savior now, and we look forward to an eternity with Him where there will be no more tears, pain, sickness, or death.

Christ’s empty tomb guarantees our victory over death.

INSIGHT:
Bethany, which is less than two miles from Jerusalem, was the home of Mary, Martha, and their brother Lazarus (John 11:1). Because Jesus had a very close relationship with this family (v. 3), it is likely that He would stay in their home whenever He came into Jerusalem (Matt. 21:17; Luke 10:38; John 12:1). It is possible Jesus stayed often at their home after His resurrection, for Jesus’s ascension took place “in the vicinity of Bethany” (Luke 24:50). Sim Kay Tee

Death always elicits a deep emotional response. It was at the funeral of one of His dear friends that Jesus displayed strong emotions. When He saw Mary, whose brother had recently died, “he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled” (John 11:33). Another translation says, “a deep anger welled up within him” (nlt).

What follows John 11:33 is awesome.

Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. “Take away the stone,” he said. “But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.” Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.” When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”
John 11:38-44 NIV
http://bible.com/111/jhn.11.38-44.NIV

The Spirit Delivers

Read: Romans 8:19-27 | Bible in a Year: 2 Samuel 14–15; Luke 17:1-19

The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. Romans 8:26

Until recently, many towns in rural Ireland didn’t use house numbers or postal codes. So if there were three Patrick Murphys in town, the newest resident with that name would not get his mail until it was first delivered to the other two Patrick Murphys who had lived there longer. “My neighbors would get it first,” said Patrick Murphy (the newest resident). “They’d have a good read, and they’d go, ‘No, it’s probably not us.’ ” To end all this mail-delivery confusion, the Irish government recently instituted its first postal-code system which will ensure the proper delivery of the mail.

Sometimes when we pray we feel like we need help delivering to God what is on our heart. We may not know the right words to say or how to express our deep longings. The apostle Paul says in Romans 8 that the Holy Spirit helps us and intercedes for us by taking our unspeakable “groanings” and presenting them to the Father. “We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans” (v. 26). The Spirit always prays according to God’s will, and the Father knows the mind of the Spirit.

God hears us when we pray and He knows our deepest needs.
Be encouraged that God hears us when we pray and He knows our deepest needs.

Thank You, Father, for giving me Your Spirit to help me when I pray. Thank You for hearing my prayers and for loving me.

What are you praying for today? Share it with us at Facebook.com

When you can’t put your prayers into words, God hears your heart.

INSIGHT:
Teaching on the person and ministry of the Holy Spirit is scattered throughout the New Testament, but much of it comes from two places: Romans 8 and Jesus’s Upper Room Discourse in John 14–16. Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit is a Helper like Himself (14:16) who will never leave us. This Helper is the Spirit of truth and has a special relationship with the follower of Christ (v. 17). In John 16 Jesus returns to the subject of the Spirit saying that He will convict the world of our need for Christ (vv. 8–11), guide us into all truth (v. 13), and glorify Jesus (v. 14). Bill Crowder

Greater than the Mess

Read: 2 Samuel 22:26-37 | Bible in a Year: 2 Samuel 21–22; Luke 18:24-43

You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light. 2 Samuel 22:29

A major theme of the Old Testament book of 2 Samuel could easily be “Life is a mess!” It has all the elements of a blockbuster TV miniseries. As David sought to establish his rule as king of Israel, he faced military challenges, political intrigue, and betrayal by friends and family members. And David himself was certainly not without guilt as his relationship with Bathsheba clearly showed (chs. 11–12).

Yet near the end of 2 Samuel we find David’s song of praise to God for His mercy, love, and deliverance. “You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light” (22:29).

Life is messy, but God is greater than the mess.
In many of his difficulties, David turned to the Lord. “With your help I can advance against a troop [run through a barricade]; with my God I can scale a wall” (v. 30).

Perhaps we identify with David’s struggles because he, like us, was far from perfect. Yet he knew that God was greater than the most chaotic parts of his life.

With David we can say, “As for God, his way is perfect: the Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him” (v. 31). And that includes us!

Life is messy, but God is greater than the mess.

Lord, we cannot read about the failures and difficulties of others without being reminded of our own. We bring them all to You, seeking forgiveness and Your power for a fresh start.

It’s not too late to make a fresh start with God.

INSIGHT:
In 2 Samuel 22 David celebrates the faithfulness of God. Many of the same ideas and some of the same words are found in Psalm 18. The superscription to Psalm 18 says: For the director of music. Of David the servant of the Lord. He sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. These words were so important to David that he reflected on them often. Bill Crowder

Meant to Be Understood

Read: Romans 15:1-6 | Bible in a Year: 2 Samuel 23–24; Luke 19:1-27

Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us. Romans 15:4

I enjoy visiting museums such as the National Gallery in London and the State Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow. While most of the art is breathtaking, some of it confuses me. I look at seemingly random splashes of color on canvas and realize I have no idea what I am seeing—even though the artist is a master at his craft.

Sometimes we can feel the same way about the Scriptures. We wonder, Is it even possible to understand them? Where do I start? Perhaps Paul’s words can give us some help: “Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope” (Rom. 15:4).

God has given us the Scriptures for our instruction and encouragement.
God has given us the Scriptures for our instruction and encouragement. He has also given us His Spirit to help us to know His mind. Jesus said that He was sending the Spirit to “guide [us] into all the truth” (John 16:13). Paul affirms this in 1 Corinthians 2:12, saying, “What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.”

With the help of the Spirit, we can approach the Bible with confidence, knowing that through its pages God wants us to know Him and His ways.

Father, thank You for giving us Your Son to bring us into relationship with You. Thank You for giving us the Scriptures so that we can know You better. And thank You for giving us Your Spirit to guide us into the truth of what we need to know about You and Your great love.

Read the Bible to get to know its Author.

INSIGHT:
One of the great truths of Scripture is that it is timeless. All of the stories and instructions of the past were written for our benefit. While this applies to all of the Old Testament, here in Romans it specifically applies to the example of Christ’s life. Verse four of today’s text tells us that what was written about Christ was written to teach us. J.R. Hudberg

Storms on the Horizon

Read: Matthew 8:23-28 | Bible in a Year: 1 Kings 1–2; Luke 19:28-48

What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him! Matthew 8:27

Our son, Josh, is a commercial salmon fisherman in Kodiak, Alaska. Some time ago he sent me a photograph he took of a tiny vessel a few hundred yards ahead of his boat moving through a narrow pass. Ominous storm clouds loom on the horizon. But a rainbow, the sign of God’s providence and loving care, stretches from one side of the pass to the other, encircling the little boat.

The photograph reflects our earthly voyage: We sail into an uncertain future, but we are surrounded by the faithfulness of God!

We sail into the uncertain future surrounded by the faithfulness of God!
Jesus’ disciples were surrounded by a storm, and He used the experience to teach them about the power and faithfulness of God (Matt. 8:23-27). We seek answers for the uncertainties of life. We watch the future growing closer and wonder what will happen to us there. Puritan poet John Keble captured this in one of his poems in which he watched the future as it drew near. But as he watched he was “waiting to see what God will do.”

Whether young or old we all face uncertain futures. Heaven answers: God's love and goodness encircle us no matter what awaits us. We wait and see what God will do!

What do you need to trust God with today?

Share with us in the comments or on Facebook.

We sail into the uncertain future surrounded by the faithfulness of God!

INSIGHT:
When sin came into the world, everything broke. The earth no longer functioned as it was supposed to. Our bodies and minds became susceptible to sickness, disease, and demonic oppression. And we found ourselves relationally separated from God and other humans. In Matthew 8 Jesus shows His authority over sin in all these areas. The kingdom of God is not just a place we go to when we die. It is a kingdom Jesus began during His time on earth. He manifested it every time He healed a sick person, drove out a demon, or calmed a storm. And it will be ultimately revealed when He returns to earth again and makes everything whole, perfect, and new. Dennis Moles

Back