*BILLET* aluminum rods

I am pretty sure john robinson was killing rod bearings with aftermarket billet steel rods, then they switched back to a much lighter rod and havent had the reliability issues with rod bearings again

I’ve seen Titanium rods from GRP, JET and Crower. Titanium rods are just too expensive. I don’t get in to selling rods, but to buy them from anyone that makes them, there are a lot of factors that you must first know. I’ll stick to building custom camshafts and valvetrain components.

As to heavy stock replacement billet rods those are in the same category as monotherm Pistons and lead balloons.
Weight reduction , air flow and rpms are the future of diesel drag racing engines

I am pretty sure john robinson was killing rod bearings with aftermarket billet steel rods, then they switched back to a much lighter rod and havent had the reliability issues with rod bearings again

Are the bearings just mushrooming out and spinning once the clearance opens up? Other than rod bolt strech and overall roundness of the hole I dont see why there would be a reason for bearings to fail?

The problem with weight is it pulls the rod egg shaped and pinches a bearing. The rod bearing grips the crank and breaks the rod. Rarely does the rod just break.
I took 650 + grams off the rod and piston combo, and with a steel rod like pictured you lose 300 grams total with the better JE piston and 1.156 tool steel pin.

Is anyone making a "superalloy" rod? Something that is mostly aluminum to save weight, but maybe some titanium, magnesium, iron, nickel, etc.. to add strength and keep clearance issues to a minimum.

The Rods that GRP and Bill Miller are currently doing is state of the art for Aluminum now.
The rods fit without any problem and are plenty strong. On the new all aluminum motor we are dropping down from Hemi 2.375 to BBC 2.200 for further weight savings. The rod should lose another 150 grams and the crank is 35 to 40 lbs. lighter.
The race is on now with new technology, high rpm short stroke diesel drag race engines. With a motor that should easily weigh the same as a BBC and make clean smoke free power there will be a lot of guy that are not a part of the old school of thought getting in to this.

What kind of rpms are we talking where the egg shape of the rod occurs? Over 5k?

it more than likely anything over 4500 with the massively heavy MonoTherms. Those pistons were designed for stationary diesel engines and somehow marketing migrating them over as a race piston. The secret to keeping the pistons from melting is higher rpms, and better air flow. High boost equals a corresponding high drive pressures. High pressure on both sides of the chamber equals high heat retention.

it more than likely anything over 4500 with the massively heavy MonoTherms. Those pistons were designed for stationary diesel engines and somehow marketing migrating them over as a race piston. The secret to keeping the pistons from melting is higher rpms, and better air flow. High boost equals a corresponding high drive pressures. High pressure on both sides of the chamber equals high heat retention.

More brilliance.

Meet future.

1204dp_01+piston_of_the_future+monotherm_piston.jpg

Audi can throw a BOAT load of money at piston design into their racing prototype pistons and looky looky...a steel piston who would have thunk it.

Why not just put fricking gas in the tank already!

Wonder how many passes you get on aluminum rods in the top fuel applications you mentioned Greg? They change them every pass. I have some grp rods in my 2000hp blown 565 and I get 50 passes then it's time to change. Anyone who thinks aluminum is meant or could be used in a street strip setup is just crazy.

sent from my galaxy s3

Not every pass, they can run about 5 if the motor doesn’t grenade. But that is an 8000 hp motor. Tey only get 5 to 8 out of a crank

I figure I’ll get at least a 100 runs, and in a sled pulling application I think you could get 40 hooks.

As to MonoTherms run what you want, I think they are yesterday’s news, and the Audi deal , it was designed for 24 hour endurance racing at a power level of around 100 per liter . They could make a lot more power then they needed. A 5.0 V 10 TDI motor can make 200 per liter, but not for 24 hours
We are talking about drag racing ,

He said that earlier, that these rods would not be good for a street/strip application. Strip only.

I for one agree with what he is saying, lighter weight rotating assembly = faster reving engine, which is what you are looking for with a drag race application. And really, 50 to 100 passes is pretty darn good for the racer that is looking for every possible edge

here is one of my comp motors , 70 runs at 10,500 good enough . the motor made 650 hp on fuel only from 265 cid

MVC-010S.jpg

now on the super stocker I could run then 150 laps by not running the same style motor only 9800 , it was just a old comp 304 inch C/ED motor.

Camaro.jpg

DSCN1279.jpg

so its really how you run them, RPM's is the biggest factor

here is one of my comp motors , 70 runs at 10,500 good enough . the motor made 650 hp on fuel only from 265 cid

MVC-010S.jpg

now on the super stocker I could run then 150 laps by not running the same style motor only 9800 , it was just a old comp 304 inch C/ED motor.

Camaro.jpg

DSCN1279.jpg

so its really how you run them, RPM's is the biggest factor

So your 4.3 liter dragster made 650hp at ~150hp/liter

Audi's inducer limited 3.7 is making 540 hp at ~150hp/liter ONLY for a race 24 hours long......

Pull the inducer restriction fuel it and hit it with the cheater spray and that engine would be a hell of a drag racer.

Well I'm done busting your ball's hell I'd love to see you just finish that car and make some passes almost seemed close and now off in a new tangent.

The race is on now with new technology, high rpm short stroke diesel drag race engines. With a motor that should easily weigh the same as a BBC and make clean smoke free power there will be a lot of guy that are not a part of the old school of thought getting in to this.

As interested as I would be to see an angled valve billet head with a small volume bowl and a chambered head, possibly even with a mixed fuel, no one can say if it will be a complete success or even an imrovement. It is a sound idea, but until someone puts up the time/effort/cost, it's just a conversation with no grounds for making claims.

Should be getting a few things on the dyno this next month that are in this direction, but still quite a bit different.

Last edited:
...As to heavy stock replacement billet rods those are in the same category as monotherm Pistons and lead balloons...

And yet we just went 148mph@6900lbs with exactly that. Hot lapped for back to back passes with in .006 of each other. 4 hits within a couple hrs all over 144mph. I am all for airflow, rpm and lowering the torque, but until there are heads and the fueling technology to actually make peak power at 6000rpm + it seems to be better to go with durability of steel, both in the rod and piston.

So your 4.3 liter dragster made 650hp at ~150hp/liter

Audi's inducer limited 3.7 is making 540 hp at ~150hp/liter ONLY for a race 24 hours long......

Pull the inducer restriction fuel it and hit it with the cheater spray and that engine would be a hell of a drag racer.

Well I'm done busting your ball's hell I'd love to see you just finish that car and make some passes almost seemed close and now off in a new tangent.

that is 650 hp with out a turbo charger. on spec fuel,

Back