dana 80 girdle plate

Instead of using the 1/4" bolts, I am wondering if just taking the 4 bolts (2 on each side of the caps) and drilling and tapping the cover and case to the next size larger.

very interested jmar, please keep me updated. im hopinh to be swapping out to 4.10 gears and would install this at the same time.

sorry i that i took so long to reply but it takes a long time to draft everything up

this is what i have so far
not painted raw material unwelded but this will give you an idea of what it will look like
i will also put a plug in
this plug is at the same level as the stock one so you will still be able to put the same oil level without any problem
the main plate is cut out of 1/2 steel, it may seem a little light but i am using the formed cover as bracing to keep things from flexing
i will check about making them heavier

what size bolts are people using to put extra pressure on the bearing caps??

I am open to suggestions
P1140101.jpg

P1140102.jpg

P1140103.jpg

I finally got the the heavy plate lazer cut and built
Let me know your thoughts on these
pullingpics2010074.jpg

pullingpics2010077.jpg

pullingpics2010078.jpg

pullingpics2010079.jpg

To install this girdle:
first put the bolts in the rear end cover and the right stuff and everything and get it sealed up good
On the end of the girdle are 4 holes where a bracket can be bolted up, bolt the bracket on and then weld it to the axle tube.

The purpose of having this plate so wide is to help reduce axle housing flexing
and it will also help keep the axle tubes from twisting on the axle housing
I will work up a price and post it tomorrow night

Hear is what the standard girdle looks like powdercoated
Cost $295.99 shipped to your door
pullingpics2010072.jpg

having a hard time figuring out what that is going to look like when its bolted to the axle...do you have a axle that you could slap it on so we know how it actually fits on?

As a side note...we almost have our custom D80 cover done. Its deffinatly quite the piece and probably won't work for everyone but it deffinatly works for our application

Ryan

having a hard time figuring out what that is going to look like when its bolted to the axle...do you have a axle that you could slap it on so we know how it actually fits on?

As a side note...we almost have our custom D80 cover done. Its deffinatly quite the piece and probably won't work for everyone but it deffinatly works for our application

Ryan
I am sending it to the powder coater tomorrow if I get it back i will set it on a dana 80 and put pics up
it will fit inbetween the leaf springs which means the driverside shock will have to be either removed or the bracket could be welded on the girdle to

yah this will be pretty much be for non daily drivers

Ryan

pullingpics2010001.jpg

pullingpics2010004.jpg

pullingpics2010006.jpg

i have bracket that bolts on to these 4 holes and you will weld the bracket to the axle tube for extra rigidity
pullingpics2010007.jpg

pullingpics2010005.jpg

These will sell for $545.00 shipped to your door
Let me know your thoughts on these

okay, so brief me on how you are tying either side of it to the axle tubes? and what exactly its going to do for strengthening the rear end. I have just never seen a cover done like this and am curious.

ryan

got our girdle/cover finished last night for the Dana80. Deffinatly different than most and will work great for our application.

Here are the spec's of what we did

-4 1/4" thick (solid steel....it was actually 3/4" laminated pieces)
-laser cut
-load bolts for the bearing caps
-4 dowl pins locating the cover to the housing and keeping it where its supposed to be before bolting down and then also keeps the case from splreading
-Removable cylinder bracket comes off and revels the load bolt holes and the oil level plug

Here are the pics

Dana80cover.jpg

dana80cover2.jpg

Ryan

got our girdle/cover finished last night for the Dana80. Deffinatly different than most and will work great for our application.

Here are the spec's of what we did

-4 1/4" thick (solid steel....it was actually 3/4" laminated pieces)
-laser cut
-load bolts for the bearing caps
-4 dowl pins locating the cover to the housing and keeping it where its supposed to be before bolting down and then also keeps the case from splreading
-Removable cylinder bracket comes off and revels the load bolt holes and the oil level plug

Here are the pics

Dana80cover.jpg

dana80cover2.jpg

Ryan

Judging by the way your tires are mounted, I don't think your case will spread, it will compress.

Back