Where would y'all start?

'strokeThis_'07

This is a vid of my 03 with the 6.7 swap. Went to fire it up and it just spins. Also couldn't get Smarty to communicate with ECM, but that has been remedied.

It appears I have no compression. I was thinking injectors, but got to looking and there is oil around all injectors; in my mind, if there was leakage at the injectors, I would have bubbling around them where the oil is. I have none. I also have a hard time seeing 6 cylinders leaking that bad that there is absolutely zero pressure on the pistons.

What say you?
[ame="http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd249/strokeThis_07/?action=view&current=47a32985.mp4"]47a32985.mp4 video by strokeThis_07 - Photobucket[/ame]

That didn't sound good. Copper washers under injectors? Piston rings? Head gasket. There is major problem somewhere along those lines.

Pull the banjo fitting off the back of the head and have someone crank it over while you feel for air coming out of the hole. Thats where the pressure will go if the injectors leaking, not the top.

If you get no air there, check the cam timing.

Last edited:
Pull the banjo fitting off the back of the head and have someone crank it over while you feel for air coming out of the hole. Thats where the pressure will go if the injectors leaking, not the top.

This is what I would do also.

Last edited:
Did you use the 5.9 injectors? I don't think they seat all the way down on a 6.7 head.

Yes I used the 5.9 injectors. I know the combo has been done before, seemingly with no issues. One is on here, and I can't think of his name right now.

I went and pulled the cover on my 07, and eyeballing it, the gap between the head and shoulder/collar of the injector appears to be about the same (not very accurate but it's what I have). I did make sure the rubber seal sat down inside the bore; it's a tight fit for sure, and the injector is now stuck because I tried to pull it yesterday. So if one is stuck, probably all 6 are.

And all copper seals are also in place.

Thanks Bodie. Went out and tried this, I feel no air at all. I do have fuel though, and that was one of my other concerns since I can't hear the pump cycling.

So, cam timing as in degree wheel and such (which I don't have)? This is a salvage yard pull that "ran real good" before I got it.

And now my f'king starter stays on with the key off:woohoo: :doh:

its sounds to me like there is and issue with the starter. that thing doesn't sound right. try cranking the engine over by hand and you will know if you have compression or not. sometimes when you are putting the fuel system back together you might need to spray a little ether to get it started just remember though that the intake grid heater will ignite the ether.

Theres obviously no compression in the engine cause its turning over so easily. Id start with injectors , sounds like their not sealing. Do you have the 6.7 injectors? Put them in and turn motor over and you will know if thats your problem.

5.9 sticks work fine in a 6.7 head. I run them now same way. You posted in your swap thread that the rockers were galled. Also in your pics you discovered the heavy soot in the intake horn. Just a guess but oil flow was restricted to the rockers I can just imagine what starved upstream. Appears the starter is working overtime may have some seized bearings and scored bores causing low compression. This is just a guess from the little info and video I've seen of yours. For your sake I hope not. I have seen 6.7 black tar motors that had less than a 100k and had stock emissions. But hey our air is cleaner.

Time to pull the head.

spooled, I had thought about putting the 6.7 injectors in to see if they sealed up better, and also thought about putting the 5.9 head on the 6.7 block. Not sure what issues, if any, I'd run into with the steam ports I keep hearing about.

freezing, I reluctantly agree with you, the head has to come off. I'm pissed at myself because I was going to pop the head with the engine out just to check on stuff, then just told myself it's fine and put it in. Just got in a hurry because both my trucks have been down a combined 7-8 months and driving the little chitbox Avalon ain't cutting it.

Any other input, keep it coming please.

Degreeing the cam would be best, but at least pull the timing cover and check the timing marks.

You don't have any compression to any of the cylinders by the way it sounds, so I doubt it's the head or injectors. I'm going to bet something is going on with the cam.

Last edited:
Back