Can you make a 6.4 reliable?

Yup. And when an 07 mf7 made oil, we swapped it out and stuck another one in and hoped it didn't have the same issue.

Sent from my flashscan v2

Yup! The mf7 and vt365 had their own unique problems as well as the common ones!

International's solution to engines making oil was to swap engines... seriously...

Yup. And when an 07 mf7 made oil, we swapped it out and stuck another one in and hoped it didn't have the same issue.

Well that is freakin stupid.... the company I work for has been living with this issue for quite a while, since they bought the trucks in 2008 apparently. they are kept on a strict 3000 mile service and we kind of live with it. :doh:

Well that is freakin stupid.... the company I work for has been living with this issue for quite a while, since they bought the trucks in 2008 apparently. they are kept on a strict 3000 mile service and we kind of live with it. :doh:

Yup. Case file with international. V8 engine group would have us check calibration, do one oil change then if the problem repeated itself we'd either get "we don't know" or "were shipping an engine"

The state of Delaware bought 47 of the first max force 7s in the spring/summer of 2007 in CE busses. The dealer I worked for sold them. They were my responsibility. I don't miss it...

Yup. Case file with international. V8 engine group would have us check calibration, do one oil change then if the problem repeated itself we'd either get "we don't know" or "were shipping an engine"

The state of Delaware bought 47 of the first max force 7s in the spring/summer of 2007 in CE busses. The dealer I worked for sold them. They were my responsibility. I don't miss it...

What a nightmare....

looks like you have the right engine in your 2010 ford, got a build thread on that thing somewhere?

What a nightmare....

looks like you have the right engine in your 2010 ford, got a build thread on that thing somewhere?

I have some pics. I never did a write up on it. It's still a work in progress, sort of a never ending thing as this point.

Aren't they only around 200 horse in medium duty applications?

Much like the vt365 is only a little more than half the horsepower of a 6.0 in a ford?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

HP is 220-300 and TQ is 560-660. Our school uses all international buses, the older ones have the VT365 and the newer ones all have the MF7. Can't speak to reliability, but they're not bad on power.

I'm glad I read this as I was considering buying a 2008-2010 Ford. It's sad because I think they are the best looking truck on the road.

Update finally got this truck back on the road. Was a Cashy fix ended up needing heads, rocker arms and a few other items. Made it 10 miles home and realized it needs another new radiator. Going to try an after market one this go round since it's already on its third stock radiator.

The info in this thread can make a 12 valve guy loose sleep just thinking about buying or working ona 6.4.

I'm with you on that, I'm looking to get a newer truck (07-09) and after reading all this am considering taking that same money and investing in Dodge body panels for my '95.

I like the 7.3 Super Dutys, but they command abhorrent prices around here with high miles. Aside from those, what is the general consensus on Ford's overall best newer truck?

New ones are junk rebuild your 95 and drive the wheels off it. My 90 has 600 k on it rebuilt the front and rear end once had to do a lil wiring and synchros in the tranny. It's been a pretty cheap truck to own all tho it is an ugly 1st gen and rides like a school bus, it's still started everyday for the 20 years.

I'm with you on that, I'm looking to get a newer truck (07-09) and after reading all this am considering taking that same money and investing in Dodge body panels for my '95.

I like the 7.3 Super Dutys, but they command abhorrent prices around here with high miles. Aside from those, what is the general consensus on Ford's overall best newer truck?

6.7 PowerStroke. They rock IMO. A few had turbo problems, but overall they're pretty solid.

I wouldn't buy a Ford diesel between 2003 and 2010.

Last edited:
6.7 PowerStroke. They rock IMO. A few had turbo problems, but overall they're pretty solid.

I wouldn't buy a Ford diesel between 2003 and 2010.

That's what I've heard. It's too bad, the looks and interior of the Fords IMO are great. In the shop we had apart the 5R110W tranny and it was impressive. I'll probably stick with a Dodge. The next question is 5.9 or 6.7. All this V8 jargon makes my head spin.

I think alot of it has to do with how the truck is treated. Do your homework, don't buy one with 6000hrs on it and 90k miles. I also would look for bone stock trucks, yeah its nice to buy one already deleted but you have no idea how it was treated or if some kid raced it all the time.

Update...truck made it 1347 miles not towing or running hard at all... Rod is now sticking threw the block....moral to the story in MY OPINION 6.4s are junk.

Back