Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
toh4od

Name: toh4od
Title: Diesel Power Fan
Member`s Gallery
Cummins Cold Smoke

Anyone have a cold smoking problem? 2013 Ram 2500 Ram 6.7 full exahust and egr delete running the latest Bullydog tunes with the 40428 tuner. I expected to see a little more cold smoke after exhaust was changed but on any morning near freezing upon startup, as soon as the engine climbs up to fast idle the blueish smoke fogs out. It slightly hazes at 1100 rpm but if the cruise is used to idle up or is driven around 1500 - 1600 rpm the smoke is embarrasing. It will actually sound like its missing for a short time. As soon as it warms to around 55*C it cleans up. No codes with tested intake heater, injectors, lift pump, compression, has changed nothing. The truck pulls occassionally but not a lot. All modules have latest software and all sensor voltages including rail pressure look normal. Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
BlackBetty6.7

Name: BlackBetty6.7
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Mine hazes slightly when cold and on winter fuel. I think it's a combo of both these things together causing the blue smoke. For me it goes away once the cylinders are hot. Mine is deleted with EFI Live.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
dangerous06

Name: dangerous06
Title: diesel tech
Member`s Gallery
Losing a cylinder! White smoke =fuel, Blue smoke =oil. Seen it before the EGR will destroy an engine in under 100k! There's probably a score in the cylinder wall. Cummins really screwed these engines up with all the smog crap!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous06 View Post
. Cummins really screwed these engines up with all the smog crap!
The environmental protection agency screwed up these engines. Not Cummins.

OP. If the engine has a bad cylinder, you'll see oil consumption go up. If it's not using oil, I'd not worry too much about a bad cylinder.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
The environmental protection agency screwed up these engines. Not Cummins.

Preach it brother!

Old 11-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
toh4od

Member`s Gallery
All cylinders shoot close temps with a gun. No history of oil consumption what so ever. The smoke does not smell like oil - burns the eyes and stinks like fuel.
Any other ideas?

Old 11-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
Cummins610

Name: Cummins610
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
It's normal unfortunately with the 2013+ engines, contact bullydog and see if they can send you a tune with a timing curve better suited for cold weather. Local EFILIVE tuner has spent time on this and had gotten it much better but not all eliminated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
toh4od

Member`s Gallery
Good to know. A little more advance on the timing seems logical to clean it up. I will check into that. Thanks for the tip.

Closed Thread