Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #41
EverydayDiesel

Name: EverydayDiesel
Title: I drink diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Me too.
We can now see the brass tacks of it. Swain gives you an option for return insurance.

I don't see this being Swains fault.
The box was not damaged. Each piston was individually wrapped. I believe that UPS is a stand up company and honored the insurance claim even though the UPS driver that picked up the package agreed there was no way that it was damaged in transit. I 100% agreed with him.

On the form i put my phone number and to call for the information. The lady at the office called me and took my cc information and we talked about insurance and at that time i told her that I paid 1260 for the pistons. I would advise all of you to NOT write down your cc numbers on paper/clear text. In fact, if the creditors were to find out that they were doing this that would instantly find tons of PCI violations and would fine and probably drop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
Here are the three scenarios as I see it:
  1. If it arrived at Swain Tech damaged they should have notified the shipper - blame on Swain Tech for coating anyway
  2. If it was damaged at Swain Tech - blame on Swain Tech for damaging piston
  3. If it was damaged in shipping from Swain Tech back to the owner - blame on Swain Tech for poor packing

If the last scenario is the truth then Swain Tech can file a claim. Either way Swain Tech should supply the OP with a new coated piston.

Just my
I agree with this guy 100%. I am disappointed how they handled the situation but needless to say I will not be using them in the future.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #42
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
I would advise all of you to NOT write down your cc numbers on paper/clear text. In fact, if the creditors were to find out that they were doing this that would instantly find tons of PCI violations and would fine and probably drop them.
That part I don't fill out. I tell them to call for the number.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #43
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The fact you side with a ups driver claiming no damage, is hilarious.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #44
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
Watch it, Rick. That was uncalled for.

If you want to claim integrity issues, then look at Swaintech.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #45
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Watch it, Rick. That was uncalled for.

If you want to claim integrity issues, then look at Swaintech.

Let me rephrase... delivery driver.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #46
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP997 View Post
Could you not file that high spot down ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
You would fit right in here at the Stalnaker Ranch. lol

Junk that piston OP or at least shelf it. I've been desperate enough to run that junk. If that cylinder had a catastrophe, You ain't gonna care to file on that thing and put it in that cylinder to get you back running.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #47
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
How much for the ashtray?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #48
Goinbyyabig

Name: Goinbyyabig
Title: Free Thinker, Innovator
Member`s Gallery
I have done a ton of business with Swain Tech and had zero issues. I always individually bubble wrap and box each piston and then put them in a common box with extra cardboard on the inside for impact protection. They always return the parts in my packaging, with additional wrapping for protection. Not saying a guy that works there might not be a scumbag, but it's never happened to me.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #49
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I am learning so much about doing business here on compd. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Unfortunately, now that I see it all laid out there, I probably would have been in your same position before this thread. I had no idea the customer was supposed to insure the shipping back.

Even if I work on something of a customers, that something still isn't mine so why would I want to pay for your insurance.

Sorry, that's how I see it.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #50
EverydayDiesel

Name: EverydayDiesel
Title: I drink diesel
Member`s Gallery
Here is the deal.
1. The box was not damaged in any way shape or form
2. The pistons were wrapped up in paper/bubble wrap and card board.
3. The coating was not nicked or scratched in any way so the only time this could have happened is when they prepped the pistons (the highest probability of a mistake happening)
4. I dont believe ups was at fault because there was not even a shred of evidence to support this theory. To damage a piston, like it was damaged, it would need to be dropped directly on the side of a table or something with a metal edge and is not something that could have happened wrapped in bubble wrap.

I dont fault anyone for making mistakes because it is human nature to error. What separates a good man from the rest is how they handle the mistake. I do find it quite amusing how some shops are posting up how THEY would have handled it, which really speaks volumes for their character.

Last edited by EverydayDiesel; 02-24-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #51
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Look, you have no proof they did the damage. You have no proof UPS did the damage. Everything worked out as it was supposed to and the damage was covered per your request to the best they were legally allowed to cover you.

I googled them. They seem like a decent size company. I would say they have ran into this a time or two.

I went back and read through again and I do see one thing. You told her how much the pistons were worth. If you call me and tell me something is worth X amount, I should give you the additional cost for shipping and then let you make that decision or alert you we do not insure anything over $100.

I hope someone from their company is listening. If I made this error (which I would have until I found this) with my new company, I would pay the extra to get ya a piston.

I know I sound like captaion hindsight here, but, I always try to do everything in writing any more. Even if I make a phone call, I turn on the voice recorder. If you had some proof that you actually told her the value of the pistons and she offered no response, you may have a claim.

I really don't appreciate the shop comment you made. I was not attacking you only providing the truth. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

Last edited by Bodacious; 02-24-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Closed Thread