No high idle

ehines218

I put smarty on my rig then set back to stock. Temps have been in the single digits or negative yet no high idle. What could be the issue?

Ok would shouldtemps be at? Its -10 to -20 degrees here today and i dont have my grid heater it should high idle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think below 32 for high idle, and I think below 15 for 3 cylinder. Also engine temp below 60 IIRC

Sound like a kabota tractor and warm up super fast. So will using my block heater make it not work?

So its now 10 degrees out and IAT reads 32 and coolant reads 64. I did have truck plugged in for the last hour or so. Could my IAT sensor be bad

Mine only kicks in when it hasn't been plugged in. My understanding is that the engine has to be cold, if it's been plugged in, it's not cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Plugging your truck in, even for an hour, could raise the coolant temp enough to be above the high idle threshold. I worked on a truck once that would sporadically idle like crap. The pins in the coolant temp sensor plug were wore the f out. It would read true coolant temp with the engine off, but once started, the vibration would wiggle the pins enough to cause a false reading. Even though the engine was at operating temperature, the pins would cause a false reading ( said it was 3 degrees) and that changed the timing/fueling and made it idle like chit. If you got a bad plug or sensor, if could be causing the ecm to think the engine is warmer than what it is and not enter high idle mode.

If it's an older smarty, may not have the software for the high idle. Iirc, the high idle was a few software updates after it came out. But I could wrong.

Back