Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
smknram

Name: smknram
Title: "ADICTED"
Member`s Gallery
No oil pressure

So a few days ago I started my truck to let it warm up, made a quick glance at all the gauges as I do at each start up, everything checked out good. It idled for 10 mins or so then I went a mile to the store (idled a couple mins while I was in the store) then about half way back to the house, I look down and oil pressure is at 0. I continued on to the house and did a quick look over, oil level was full and all the wiring on the gauge and sending unit looked good.

I have not had time to investigate anything until this evening which was 40 mph wind and blowing snow (I'm kind of afraid to drive it to the shop where I can be in the heat and have good lighting until I know for sure it actually has oil pressure) so my time spent was limited. The gauge is an Autometer Sport-Comp Ultra Lite, short sweep, electronic gauge. I was able to check voltage, in which it is getting 12v to the gauge and sending 9v to the sending unit which seems right to me. I checked continuity on the sending unit to ground, which was good. I ohms from sending unit stud to ground before starting truck and got 65 Ohms, then after starting the truck the meter showed open circuit. I shut the truck off and checked again and got 74 Ohms. I'm using a Fluke 323 meter which is auto ranging but I'm not sure on the ohms range of the meter to know if I can trust the "open circuit" when running.

Does anyone know what the Ohms readings should be when running and when off? Is there any simple tests to do with the gauge and/or sending unit to check them? Id really like to think I really do have oil pressure but hate to just start throwing parts at it to figure it out.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get all the information in here that I could to assist in diagnosing the problem.

2012 Mega Cab 6.7

Last edited by smknram; 02-09-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
admcummin

Name: admcummin
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Check with a mechanical gauge. If you drove it that far without oil pressure chances are its the gauge.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
I recommend a cummins sensor, the Napa one I had only last about 5k mile two times.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
smknram

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by admcummin View Post
Check with a mechanical gauge. If you drove it that far without oil pressure chances are its the gauge.
Im going to try to pick one up tomorrow and check it just to make sure of that

2012 Mega Cab 6.7

Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
smknram

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
I recommend a cummins sensor, the Napa one I had only last about 5k mile two times.
I'm running the Autometer sensor in the top of the oil filter housing. I've honestly never messed with factory cummins oil pressure sensors. Does the cummins sensor work on the same principle? Single sensor wire and ground through the block? If so, can I just hook autometer gauge to the factory sensor?

2012 Mega Cab 6.7

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Why not just buy a cheap $10 mechanical gauge to throw on the filter housing to confirm you have pressure, then drive to somewhere warm?

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
smknram

Member`s Gallery
I intend to do that. I guess my questions were directed more toward figuring out if its the sending unit or the gauge? I can just replace both, but I thought if someone a process of checking both than I would do that and replace whichever is bad.

Other than checking voltage in and voltage out on the gauge, which both seem normal, I would say the gauge itself is fine. The thing that makes me question the gauge is that it doesn't zero out when turned the key on (Needle doesn't even lift up to zero like the others do) but maybe the sending unit could still cause that.

2012 Mega Cab 6.7

Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
badbowtie

Name: badbowtie
Title: custom engine daydreamer
Member`s Gallery
Do a Google search on autometer sending units. They don't like vibration, mounted on the oil filter housing of a Cummins is not a low vibration zone. I had to use a grease gun hose and mount mine in rubber on my fender. I was going through sending units every 5 months.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
Jl12valve

Name: Jl12valve
Title: unfaithful CF user
Member`s Gallery
I agree, my fuel pressure sending unit from auto meter was not properly mounted which caused it to fail. Sent fuel squirting out the electrical connection side. If at all possible, always do a remote mount.

Closed Thread