Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
cj96f250

Name: cj96f250
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
F350 swap onto dt466

Hello again everyone I am looking to replace my trusty 7.3 and not so trusty e4od.

I considered putting a dt360 in it with an Allison 545 but my truck is 4x2 and I would have had to swap in SFA because of the cross member (and I did not want a 545 that much)

Also I considered a 466 but it would have the above problem plus be too much for the drivetrain and frame.

But while researching (dreaming) I ran across a pic were a guy put a f350 ext cab long bed body on the frame of a short bus with a dt466.

So now it has me thinking

Pros:
Dt466(great)
Allison mt643 (lockup in 3rd and 4th)
Stronger frame
Very strong rear axle
Drivetrain already installed

Cons:
Heavy
Can't find a build thread for one
Not sure how tall the frame is (might be 14in for all I know)

Planning to go measure one next weekend just wondering if anyone has ideas or sees obios flaws that I can't

And if anyone knows we're a build thread on one is I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Christian

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Old 02-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Exodus

Name: Exodus
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Why not just use what works? A 12 valve drops right in with a lot of aftermarket support.

It's a lot less thinking.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Why not just use what works? A 12 valve drops right in with a lot of aftermarket support.

It's a lot less thinking.

I don't get the 466 love. Engine is an underpowered POS that don't last long. If guys get 100k miles out of them they're doing good. Guys that like them have never drove them. Barely pull a sick ***** off a bar stool.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
cj96f250

Member`s Gallery
Tell that to hypermax they are making 3000 HP out of one and if they are junk why are they so popular

I agree a 12v would be easier but I just want something neat and different

Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
cj96f250

Member`s Gallery
*to be fair he is correct I have not driven one

Old 02-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
cj96f250

Member`s Gallery
And also just to clarify I want a full mech engine and trans plump same as cummins any other opinions?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #7
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
We had a DT466e engine in a 5ton box truck. It was a pos, saw pretty mostly highway miles making deliveries for a greenhouse. Thing had no power what so ever and blew the head gasket around 130-150k miles and hydrolocked a piston. Lucky it didn't damage the block or frame. Did a in frame rebuild and sold it. It got replaced pretty quickly. We also had a shorter 5ton box truck with a 7.3L in it and that thing had more balls than the DT466e. I think now they have a freightliner and an international, I know one has a cummins but not sure the engine size. Those two haul the mail.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 02-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj96f250 View Post
Tell that to hypermax they are making 3000 HP out of one and if they are junk why are they so popular

That's an idiotic statement. Correct If you replace almost every single IH part you can make them run. The Silver Bullet tractor made close to 5000hp with a "Cat 3208". Want to guess how many parts were Cat?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
We had a DT466e engine in a 5ton box truck. It was a pos, saw pretty mostly highway miles making deliveries for a greenhouse. Thing had no power what so ever and blew the head gasket around 130-150k miles and hydrolocked a piston. Lucky it didn't damage the block or frame. Did a in frame rebuild and sold it. It got replaced pretty quickly. We also had a shorter 5ton box truck with a 7.3L in it and that thing had more balls than the DT466e. I think now they have a freightliner and an international, I know one has a cummins but not sure the engine size. Those two haul the mail.

This is the 466 most people know. The only thing worse is what IH replaced it with. The Maxxforce DT, such an unbelievable pile of crap they don't make it anymore.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 AM   #10
Exodus

Name: Exodus
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj96f250 View Post

There's less than 10,000 cummins swaps out there. Drop a 12 valve in it and still be different.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:27 AM   #11
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I for one, like your thoughts. Don't worry about that Faulkner fella, he likes to be the devils advocate. lol

If I'm not mistaken, the same class single axle dump truck would have used the same cab, but, the front fenders were different to cover the tires.

Ideally, I think you would want the lighter class suspension of the pickup unless you could find a buss that was air ride. Regardless, the trans, rear, extra weight, will all do their part to make your pickup feel like the cab is setting on a bus frame.

My cousin ran DT466 all the time. Still has the original D-466 in his TD12 Dresser Dozer. Dang nice machine for an eary 80's model.

Someone is doing a DT466 swap on here somewhere. IMHO, get you an old state truck or bus real cheap and swap that DT into the pickup..

Now, that being said, an old 12 valve cummins will fit easier, be lighter, more powerful, and you can run an Allison behine it as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #12
smokin binder

Name: smokin binder
Title: DT466 fan
Member`s Gallery
I know of a few 466 swaps, and I have driven plenty of MD 466 trucks. The 466E is what to stay away from. The mechanical 466 has good bones, and good aftermarket(sled puller) parts. They are pretty weak in the power department from the factory, but so was the mighty Cummins of the same years.

67 F100, 300, 4V. and 08 VW R32.

Closed Thread