Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Mopar1973

Name: Mopar1973
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Brand Wars

Are any of you particular fans of a certain brand of tools (Snap-On, Matco, etc.)? Some better than others for certain situations? I have broken my fair share of matco impacts and swivels but have yet to have a problem with a Snap-On tool. I get them in bits and pieces and have never had to replace one so far. Snap-On credit is ridiculous though, first time credit establishing cost me 27% interest . Paying triple the weekly payment to get it out of my hair but I needed a way to establish credit and a piece of plastic or a vehicle loan is a bit extreme.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Craftsman is the best, heat em, bend em, break em, repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
srt cummins

Name: srt cummins
Member`s Gallery
Craftsman, and I got a 3/8 ratchet that is task force from Lowe's. I use a 4 foot cheater bar and its still alive after 5 years of abuse.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Demon 6.0

Name: Demon 6.0
Title: Completely Insane
Member`s Gallery
I use craftsman professional hand tools and sockets. Snap-on air tools and ratchets. And then there's the whole specialty tool category that I like also. I originally started with all Craftsman out of necessity but slowly bought what I like off the white truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
I'm gonna go poop and think about all of ya'll while I sit there.
Michael "Dex" Brown

Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
jordanjames81

Name: jordanjames81
Member`s Gallery
i have some craftsman, but always go for my snap on tools. I have found some good deals on ebay for snap on and blue point tools.
Amsoil oil Dealer
AirDog Fuel Systems
Farmer's Machine
AutoMeter Gauges
AFE Power
Check us out on FaceBook
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Any of the big name guys are about the same (snapon mac matco cornwell etc). A lot of it depends on how friendly the dealer is in your area. And I agree with jordanjames ebay is your best friend.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
jordanjames81

Name: jordanjames81
Member`s Gallery
Like today i picked up a snap on bore scope new from a snap on guy on ebay for $239.00 that normally around the $400 dollar area. It was the display unit on his truck. Picked up a set of blue point 6 point sockets set for $20 also today that was a set of 14 in 3/8 drive.
Also check on craiglist you can find some good deals on boxes loaded with tools at a good price.
Amsoil oil Dealer
AirDog Fuel Systems
Farmer's Machine
AutoMeter Gauges
AFE Power
Check us out on FaceBook
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
'strokeThis_'07

Name: 'strokeThis_'07
Member`s Gallery
Always been a Craftsman guy, but seems like the new stuff is junk. Half of my ratcheting wrenches just spin free, so they aren't any use. The ratchets themselves aren't as good as they used to be; extremely easy to reverse direction. That's not what I want to be doing in tight spaces. Their sizing seems off; a 10mm socket will fit, but a 10mm wrench won't, or vice-versa. Finish is pretty flaky. Screwdrivers chip and turn Phillips heads into round heads, flat blades bend easily, drill bits break...small stuff I've noticed that just drives me up the wall.

My grandpas old Craftsman stuff from who knows when still works like a charm; you can tell the quality difference just by the fell of it.

(I doubt these are Craftsman-specific issues, but they're causing me to look at other stuff I've shunned for price...i.e. Snap On)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
Buy turbo - build race truck- get bishes.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
jkidd_39

Name: jkidd_39
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
Always been a Craftsman guy, but seems like the new stuff is junk. Half of my ratcheting wrenches just spin free, so they aren't any use. The ratchets themselves aren't as good as they used to be; extremely easy to reverse direction. That's not what I want to be doing in tight spaces. Their sizing seems off; a 10mm socket will fit, but a 10mm wrench won't, or vice-versa. Finish is pretty flaky. Screwdrivers chip and turn Phillips heads into round heads, flat blades bend easily, drill bits break...small stuff I've noticed that just drives me up the wall.

My grandpas old Craftsman stuff from who knows when still works like a charm; you can tell the quality difference just by the fell of it.

(I doubt these are Craftsman-specific issues, but they're causing me to look at other stuff I've shunned for price...i.e. Snap On)
I used to be the same way. They downgraded their quality bad. I go with gear wrench for hand tools. Mac/snap on for specialty stuff. Craigslist is your friend for tools. Picked up a snap on 18v impact with case, charger and batteries for $200. If it breaks mr. Snap on replaces it.

2005 F-350 King Ranch- Cummins CR convo in progress..
2008 F-450 CCLB - KEM tunes, Elite Studs/EGR w/ wastegate

Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
The problem with buying snap-on or any brand tool online is that a snap-on dealer does need to take responsibility or feel obligated to replace it. He/she can tell you that if you want it replaced you must sent it back to the manufacturer for warranty.

Quote:
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
cumminspuller

Name: cumminspuller
Title: diesel junky
Member`s Gallery
I've got a little bit of everything. Snap-On, Mac, IR air tools, Matco, John Deere, craftsman and a few odd and end pieces from Harbor Freight that I don't care if I break. I like Snap-On ratchets and wrenches. I've got a fair amount of Mac tools as well. When worked in a shop for a living I bought more Mac stuff because I got along better with the salesman. My first socket and ratchet set I bought in college was an S&K set. I have busted about a third of the sockets and can not get any of them replaced. Busted 2 ratchets and got them replaced. Needless to say i don't buy S&K any more. If I still worked everyday in a shop I'm sure I'd have more Mac or Snap-On tools though.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
jkidd_39

Name: jkidd_39
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
The problem with buying snap-on or any brand tool online is that a snap-on dealer does need to take responsibility or feel obligated to replace it. He/she can tell you that if you want it replaced you must sent it back to the manufacturer for warranty.
True. But he will never get another sale again from that customer. So choose your battles wisely. I had a napa give me crap about my 3/4 ratchet. I will not do business at his store. Or the bumper to bumper auto parts that wouldn't warranty my flex head gear wrenches. Won't buy from them now. And I spread the word about them.

2005 F-350 King Ranch- Cummins CR convo in progress..
2008 F-450 CCLB - KEM tunes, Elite Studs/EGR w/ wastegate

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
cummin try me

Name: cummin try me
Title: Voodoo Child
Member`s Gallery
I use them all but I mostly use MAC, Snap-on, and S-K. I have started getting into Matco and their stuff is good as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
Mopar1973

Name: Mopar1973
Member`s Gallery
i'm an installer/rebuilder and own a transmission shop with my father, and he started showing me the difference between the quality of the tools. Craftsman was my first tool, but with all the specialty equipment out there you can usually find me on the Matco or Snap-On trucks. I have a Matco pneumatic impact gun and I love it, it will break anything loose and if it doesn't break it loose it breaks the head of the bolt off. Snap-On wrenches, rachets, and sockets are the way to go for me. They're made well and I've had nothing but good experience with them. Broken plenty of Matco sockets, both impact and impact swivels. Just recently purchased my first tool box from Snap-On as a way to establish credit (I'm 18). Interest rate sucks but what else is new with Snap-On credit.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
kalder

Name: kalder
Title: Kevin Alder
Member`s Gallery
I try not to buy crap that is rebranded. I'm not gonna pay for your logo.

I have a very diverse tool box, brand wise. You name the brand and it's probably in there. I'm about good deals 90% of the time, the other 10% is; the snapon guy is there when I really need something I don't have.

03 3500

Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #16
1998dsmtalon

Name: 1998dsmtalon
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I use Snap on at work and they are great but seeing is how I am not made of money I prefer to use blue-point and craftsman at home. However, there are always good stuff on craigslist and ebay for used tools.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #17
rattlindodge

Name: rattlindodge
Member`s Gallery
Blue Point also has gone way down hill.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #18
ktm1302

Name: ktm1302
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Craftsman, snap on, GP tools and Mac tools here!!

And the BA nitro kitty of course
B&G Performance Diesel

Last edited by ktm1302; 06-23-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
zak06

Name: zak06
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Mostly snap on and mac, some random craftsman but not much. Cant stand there ratchets, there absolute schit anymore. For air tools I realy starting to love air cat stuff.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
Well tonight I busted three, 8mm wrenches.
#1 was a craftsman, it just bend behind the box end.
#2 was a snap-on, it split the box end open,
#3 was a black-hawk ratchet wrench, the gears and guts went flying!
#4 was a stubby husky wrench, it lives!

They all got the same treatment which was a smack on the head by a rubber, 48oz, snap-on, dead blow mallet. Blame it on turbo engineers and the back turbine cover/outlet/asinine bolts on a stock 7.3l flowerpoke charger!

Quote:

Closed Thread