Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
stackx2

Name: stackx2
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Here's my 40x60. Its just the right size I think. Although I would take a bigger one lol. Its a bit messy at the moment, we had to rearrange every thing to get wife's hay in
Click the image to open in full size.
91.5 dodge, 180 p pump, 4k gov. springs, #0 plate, typical afc mods, contagious diesel 5x18 @ 260 bar, 60 lbs valve springs, ARP head studs, t4 steed speed exh. Manifold, 63/68/.88 t4, powerstroke intercooler, nv4500 with sb3250, cab and chassis Dana 80 3:55ls

Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
turbom700

Name: turbom700
Member`s Gallery
You guys with Apartments in your sheds can you post some pro and cons along with things you would do differently.

Im thinking once the wife gets sick of me this would be the perfect solution big pull shed along with a living quarters. Only have to heat/cool one place and would be only walking distance from the shop.

1997 s10 2wd 350sbc 4l80e

2000 vw gold tdi

1999 Sportsman DIESEL

Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
morkable

Name: morkable
Title: Just Over Broke
Member`s Gallery
Are any of you guys in colder climate? I am worried about insulation and keeping a big shop warm

Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #44
big_bran

Name: big_bran
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackx2 View Post
Here's my 40x60. Its just the right size I think. Although I would take a bigger one lol. Its a bit messy at the moment, we had to rearrange every thing to get wife's hay in
for some reason your images are not showing up for me =(

Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #45
big_bran

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbom700 View Post
You guys with Apartments in your sheds can you post some pro and cons along with things you would do differently.

Im thinking once the wife gets sick of me this would be the perfect solution big pull shed along with a living quarters. Only have to heat/cool one place and would be only walking distance from the shop.
I would imagine it being great. you wouldnt have to heat and cool the shop all the time.. but the apartment if small enough insulated properly shouldn't cost much to keep livable.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #46
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Idk if Jory has seen this or not but his house is tits in my opinion. I really like what layout I got to see and the size. I really like it.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #47
big_bran

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Idk if Jory has seen this or not but his house is tits in my opinion. I really like what layout I got to see and the size. I really like it.
send him by with some pictures!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #48
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_bran View Post
send him by with some pictures!
Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Post #16.

Insulate...insulate...insulate. Best advice I can give ya.

And this.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Last edited by 4x4dually; 10-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #49
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post

Post #16.

And this.

And there you have it ladies and gentleman.

Jory are you looking to adopt?
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 10-08-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #50
stackx2

Name: stackx2
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
for some reason your images are not showing up for me =(
How bout now
Attachment 38018
Attachment 38019
uploadfromtaptalk1349745246608.jpg
91.5 dodge, 180 p pump, 4k gov. springs, #0 plate, typical afc mods, contagious diesel 5x18 @ 260 bar, 60 lbs valve springs, ARP head studs, t4 steed speed exh. Manifold, 63/68/.88 t4, powerstroke intercooler, nv4500 with sb3250, cab and chassis Dana 80 3:55ls

Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #51
roachie

Name: roachie
Title: Taco Master
Member`s Gallery
My apartment (I cannot remember the measurements on it, around 600sqft) has two window A/C units and two ceiling fans. Also another fan running in a sealed storage room. One of the A/C units and those three ceiling fans running 24/7 my electric bill was $38 for the month. But I am not living in it yet.

Mine stays cold inside, with outside temps in the 95 range indoor was about 80* in the shop if I kept the doors shut.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
big_bran

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post

Post #16.

And this.

so i take it you are jory?! ha ha through my never ending reading on this site i sure have run into "4x4 dually" alot!

very nice to meet you jory. you have a beautiful shop! Now I am worried Ford Diesel Girl might show up and correct all my miss-guided english tendencies! (so nervous i went back and read threw this and realized ah hell with it, I know i am un-educated!)

how tall are the walls in that place and whats the over all dimensions of your apartment?

It would appear to me that a two story apartment inside of a shop works out fairly well. Beds/baths upstairs living room kitchen down. I am working on some plans as we speak. hopefully be able to post some stuff up tonight or tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #53
big_bran

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
My apartment (I cannot remember the measurements on it, around 600sqft) has two window A/C units and two ceiling fans. Also another fan running in a sealed storage room. One of the A/C units and those three ceiling fans running 24/7 my electric bill was $38 for the month. But I am not living in it yet.

Mine stays cold inside, with outside temps in the 95 range indoor was about 80* in the shop if I kept the doors shut.
I can live with 80.. it is the sense of relief walking out of the 105-115 into 75-80. shade alone helps tremendously!

for the last 3-4 months i have worked outside in direct sunlight 12 hours a day every weekend. I have simply had it with the heat. Plus i am 25 its time to start looking into purchasing a home. may as well just start with an affordable shop/apartment and build me a home.

I have an acre and a half. But i am looking at a couple chunks of land. I found a 12 acre chunk for sale a little out of town. power is there but no well. I also found 4-40 acre parcel or 160 acres for sale. I am considering throwing the idea at my old man and going halves on the land.

Then i could have a cow or two!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #54
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
so i take it you are jory?! ha ha through my never ending reading on this site i sure have run into "4x4 dually" alot!
Yip. I'm not a post wh0re...I just like to talk...a lot.

The standard building kit was 18' at the eves. I made them add 2 foot because I didn't want to chamfer the ceilings up stairs and do a bunch of angled sheet rock...since we did it all ourselves. I like squares and rectangles....no creativity.

If I did it again, I would spend the money on the radiant floors. I think with those the central unit would hardly ever have to run. We are 100% electric and bills during 110F summers and down to -20 (our record two winters ago) rarely gets over $200. Normally the bill is around $140-$150 for moderate weather. The building has an R13 batting between the tin and the girts. Then 8" of dead air. Then a typical 2x4 stud wall witha nd R13 batting in it. We put R40 worth of blown insulation on top. It really is quit comfy.

I stood the stud walls up and secured them to the building with screws. When the wind blows, we get some creaking. I'd let it float next time. I'd also sheet the outside of all the walls with OSB or 1/4" ply...mice like us and sheet rock don't slow them down.

Over all it is 45' x 75' x 20' tall. The house is 45' x 28' on the east end for about 1260 sqft per level so about 2520 sw ft total. Then we had another child so I added a mud room in the shop and put another bedroom above it.....which her door opens into the master which is sometime counter productive when it comes to snookie snookie if you know what I mean.

Find someonen with a shaper (larger router) and buy 1" x 4" pine and put an edge on them. It saved us about $500 total instead of buying pre-shaped trim boards. Cabinets are all maple and birch. I've still got a few things to do even after being there for 6 years....but someday I'll be done. Momma already wants to add on.

More pics.

The beam supports the 2nd story so the downstairs can be clear span for the most part.

The OSU bathroom for all my OU friends to set in when they come visit.

The additional mud room and bedroom we added. The saloon doors are now where that white door is. It just moved out to the other opening.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
big_bran

Member`s Gallery
very nice jory! thank you for the extra pics!

I have routers and table saws.. between the two you can make just about anything perrrty!

your framing looks nice bud! it helps alot bud.. MOTIVATION! ha ha

where in te world do you live that it gets 110 and -20!!!!!! i thought arizona was the only place around like that!!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #56
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
where in te world do you live that it gets 110 and -20!!!!!!
OOOOOooooKlahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Yesterday it was 29F when I left for work. By 3pm it was 60. Freakin' nuts around here. Winters are cold...at least to us southerners and summers are blazin'. Last year we had over 90 days in some parts of the state over 100. It was miserable.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #57
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
It only gets to -20 once in a while, don't let him kid ya!
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #58
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
It only gets to -20 once in a while, don't let him kid ya!
Yes, I said we hit a "record" that year. Normally it stays between 20 and 30 with occasional 10's. It was meant for "even that low, our heat bill was not more than $200."

We have a single 5-ton Carrier heat pump with dual zone control, up and down will stay within 3 degs of each other.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 10-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #59
Mr. Rollin Coal

Name: Mr. Rollin Coal
Member`s Gallery
We build steel building and if you have the coin do insullation. You will regret it if you don't. Metal sheets love to soak in the suns heat. Here's a picture if a house that someone built inside oneImageUploadedByTapatalk1349795070.670589.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349795039.642477.jpg (56.1 KB, 0 views)
98 12 valve, 4k gsk, afc tuned, SDX 5x14's, 191 dv's, 60# valve springs, fire ringed, arp studs, 26*, 4in diamon eye exhaust. Goerend triple disc converter(stock stall), Goerend valve body, sonax billet input, 66/71/14 s300 and a raptor 150.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #60
morkable

Name: morkable
Title: Just Over Broke
Member`s Gallery
Electricity is obviously much less expensive there Jory.... My power bill is over 250 a month and I dont have electric heat,, just AC.

I tell you one thing I doubt I could live in Oklahoma. Not only is it hot as hades, but the humidity is the worst I have ever felt. And to be honest we (even though I am way wayyyyy north) have only a couple weeks a year that would be -20 or colder. Most of the winter here would be around 0 F.

Closed Thread