Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #21
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
So the metal will span the distance between posts and not bow? What about taking craft face insulation, put slits in the craft face, then nail it to the wall? Then hang plastic on the inside for you vapor barrier?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #22
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Very nice shop. I wish I had done the floor heating.

Quote:
Yeah, I would second metal as well. Give it a wash down every year, and you'll keep it clean.
We are currently installing metal on the inside walls of a 70x100 steel building per the customer. The walls and ceiling were spray foamed. One thing I've noticed as we work towards getting the entire interior sheeted is the acoustics in the building. We are doing ear plugs now as the little dewalt screw guns sound like 50 cals.

I need to do something with the interior of my building as far as sheeting, but, I don't want the noise associated with the metal sheeting. I'm looking at some closed cell, double silver backed insulation that has an R-19 value. For me, this may be able to serve as the insulation and sheeting all in one if installed correctly. Of course, near the welding area, metal sheeting would have to be installed.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #23
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post

We are currently installing metal on the inside walls of a 70x100 steel building per the customer. The walls and ceiling were spray foamed. One thing I've noticed as we work towards getting the entire interior sheeted is the acoustics in the building. We are doing ear plugs now as the little dewalt screw guns sound like 50 cals.

I need to do something with the interior of my building as far as sheeting, but, I don't want the noise associated with the metal sheeting. I'm looking at some closed cell, double silver backed insulation that has an R-19 value. For me, this may be able to serve as the insulation and sheeting all in one if installed correctly. Of course, near the welding area, metal sheeting would have to be installed.
The race shop I worked at had the metal installed on the inside of the walls and after the insulation was put in the echo went away.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 11-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #24
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
So the metal will span the distance between posts and not bow? What about taking craft face insulation, put slits in the craft face, then nail it to the wall? Then hang plastic on the inside for you vapor barrier?
No, if I do metal I will run 2x4 long ways and run the tin vertical. They did the exterior walls like that already

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #25
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post

Perforated metal takes care of the noise. I don't recommend running the sheets horizontal either, dirt lays on the ribs.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #26
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
What fuel boiler you going with?

I have a couple used 200K BTU waste oil boilers I don't need. I could fix you up with one.

My new shop has a 350K BTU waste oil, and a 375K Natural gas as a backup. Didn't want only one furnace in the new shop, since it's providing heat for the whole complex now. Waste oil is nice, but there is a bit of labor involved in storing and moving the oil around.

Natural gas is an awesome option if you have it available. Cheap and EFFICIENT. My boiler is 94% efficient, and I'm heating 26,000 square feet to 65* for about $1300/month. Not bad knowing what some friends pay to heat their shops.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
What fuel boiler you going with?

I have a couple used 200K BTU waste oil boilers I don't need. I could fix you up with one.

My new shop has a 350K BTU waste oil, and a 375K Natural gas as a backup. Didn't want only one furnace in the new shop, since it's providing heat for the whole complex now. Waste oil is nice, but there is a bit of labor involved in storing and moving the oil around.

Natural gas is an awesome option if you have it available. Cheap and EFFICIENT. My boiler is 94% efficient, and I'm heating 26,000 square feet to 65* for about $1300/month. Not bad knowing what some friends pay to heat their shops.

Chris
I'm going with aa natural gas boiler. I don't produce enough waiste oil to get one and I'm not cutting wood. So gas is what I'm going with

Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #28
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
You definitely won't be disappointed.

Laars Neotherm

That's what I have. 95% efficient, and haven't had to look at it since we put it in...granted, this is the 3rd year, but better than what we've had in the past.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #29
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
Great looking building. It looks in the picture that the guards are not evenly spaced. May just be the angle of the picture. Other than that great shop, some day I will be able to get one.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #30
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Been watching on farcebook. Nice shop.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #31
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerickson View Post
Great looking building. It looks in the picture that the guards are not evenly spaced. May just be the angle of the picture. Other than that great shop, some day I will be able to get one.
I think it was just the angle. The holes were evenly spaced when I drilled them.

So did some checking on the metal for the interior walls and its $39.36 per sheet which is 48 sq feet and plywood is almost the same money for 1/2 thick and only 32 sq feet. So the metal is cheaper

Old 11-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #32
amaupin04

Name: amaupin04
Title: roxanne04
Member`s Gallery
Wow, that's a nice shop looks awesome

Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #33
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
I'm going with aa natural gas boiler. I don't produce enough waiste oil to get one and I'm not cutting wood. So gas is what I'm going with
Bravo! Stand by for the die hard wood cutters to tell you how the heat is "free".

Old 11-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #34
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
The waste oil guys would try to tell you that too. I'm not one of them.

It might be cheap, but nothing is free. Time is money.
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #35
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Bravo! Stand by for the die hard wood cutters to tell you how the heat is "free".
Lol. I burn wood. It probably cost me just as much if I didn't. Only difference is I own stuff for my money and enjoy cutting. If I didn't enjoy it then hell no I wouldn't.

Nice building BTW. I am getting asphalt millings hauled right now for my 40x72 and constructions starts after thanksgiving. I'll probably start a thread. I am against floor heat in a shop, even though I run a boiler, but like it for a home. If it is occupied every day all day it is nice. I'm only in mine a few hrs a day so its not practical.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #36
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr View Post
Lol. I burn wood. It probably cost me just as much if I didn't. Only difference is I own stuff for my money and enjoy cutting. If I didn't enjoy it then hell no I wouldn't.

Nice building BTW. I am getting asphalt millings hauled right now for my 40x72 and constructions starts after thanksgiving. I'll probably start a thread. I am against floor heat in a shop, even though I run a boiler, but like it for a home. If it is occupied every day all day it is nice. I'm only in mine a few hrs a day so its not practical.
I have found that from the heating and cooling of the building I use now for building engines in that the clean parts will start to rust from condensation. So I want it to stay a constant temp all winter if possible. I can always cool the shop part down and leave the lean too warmer. I have 2 separate zones to work with

Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #37
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Quote:

Chris
Your exactly right. Nothing is free. This way I can push a button and I have heat with out having to stand in the snow everyday packing it full of wood. Besides there isn't enough wood on the place to try and heat it all winter let alone the future winters

Last edited by DISTURBED; 11-23-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #38
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Chris

Waste oil makes sense if you have enough to run it. Friends have ran out and had to buy fuel oil to keep it going and efficiently goes in the toilet on fuel. But having to store it inside sucks, it's dirty no matter how careful you are and the burners can be high maintenance.

I wouldn't care if wood was cut/split for me and I had someone to load the stove I wouldn't touch it.

I want to build a shop at my house and considered floor heat but I want to air condition it too so it will probably be forced air.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #39
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
They are high maintenance....PERIOD.

We are ALWAYS screwing with ours.

I really wanted to go Geothermal, but for $250K, I can buy a LOT of gas.
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #40
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
They are high maintenance....PERIOD.

We are ALWAYS screwing with ours.

I really wanted to go Geothermal, but for $250K, I can buy a LOT of gas.
Chris

Buddy found the best thing to do is take the filter system that came with his clean burn and throw it in the trash. I have geothermal at home. Def the way to go if you can swallow the initial cost.

Closed Thread