Aam 11.5 2nd gen swap

If it's only rwabs the most you should need to do is wire up a plug for the new axle. The abs module is only looking for a pulse signal. The other thing is speedo correction, this will need to be accomplished with a smarty etc. If the truck is 4wabs you will need to ditch the abs or find a custom tone ring for the rear axle.

It will bolt in. Driveshaft will have to be shortened? I think there is a tread to use your brake set up on a 3rd gen to fit 16 in wheels. On my phone so can't search for it very easily

Not really worried about driveshaft. I feel like the spring perches will need to be repostioned, but that's not a big deal either.

It will bolt in. Driveshaft will have to be shortened? I think there is a tread to use your brake set up on a 3rd gen to fit 16 in wheels. On my phone so can't search for it very easily

Mine has drums, but if you find it I'd still be interested in seeing it, thanks.

If it's only rwabs the most you should need to do is wire up a plug for the new axle. The abs module is only looking for a pulse signal. The other thing is speedo correction, this will need to be accomplished with a smarty etc. If the truck is 4wabs you will need to ditch the abs or find a custom tone ring for the rear axle.

It's just rear abs. Do you know if there is a plug adapter or a pigtail for the 3rd gen style?

Spring perches are almost the same. Within a half inch. I think Peterson's did a write up about a swap. Josh Roach had a thread that I posted all the part numbers and cost on it. Thread title was "best axle swap"?

Spring perches are almost the same. Within a half inch. I think Peterson's did a write up about a swap. Josh Roach had a thread that I posted all the part numbers and cost on it. Thread title was "best axle swap"?

Just looked it up, that was a 1/2 ton truck they did the swap on.

Yeah buy a repair plug at the dealer.

Cool, thanks for the help. I guess the biggest thing now is if I can run an aluminum 16" wheels I can run if I grind down the calipers or what other options I have.

Last edited:
IIRC the 3rd Gen rear axle is not as big a deal to fit 16s as the front is...atleast steel. The truck I'm doing has 17s so its no issue. Search in the drag racing section about 16s...racers run 16" drag radials so it's been discussed before.

i believe you can swap out the calipers from the dana to the aam. given you have a disk brake dana in the first place, if not itd probably be a little safer just to weld on new caliper mounts than grind down the old calipers

Back