2003 Duramx Instrument Problem?

chevyota84

Anyone ever seen a truck start up followed by a competley dead dashboard ( no warning lamps no intrument response) then 10-30 seconds later everything comes online like the key was just turned on? After that everything works fine. The lag varies. Ususally longer lag when the truck has been sitting a while. When I turn the key to the ON position without starting it the dash works normally and all the lights and gauges work. Its only after startup that theres the big lag.

Seems to me that Chevy/ GMC has had instrument panel failures for many models over the years. I bet if you do a google search there is a company out there that specializes in repair. In the past Ive had to have 2 Corvette dashes rebuilt and one in an S-10, and each time google reveiled that they were common failures.

It is common, the cluster does not see the proper voltage to "wake up" at first. We had a 2003 cali truck in the shop a few weeks ago that would do this very thing.

My truck has been doing this for about 6 mo...I've seen a correlation in the colder temps and the probability of the instrument cluster coming on.

I have to hit mine repeatedly to turn it on now.

Yeah I did a google search and did find a lot of things about bad clusters. I was thinking the cluster was ok since it worked all fine and just took a while to come on. So what was the fix on that truck that did not detect proper voltage? Replaced cluster or sent out for repair?

IIRC, there was a programming update to lower the wakeup voltage. Might want to have a dealer run the VIN and see if that update was done.

How old are the batteries?

Ill call the dealer monday and ask about it. Looks like one battery is fairly new while the other looks old. I would probably replace them in pairs since theyre in parallel with one another. Might be making it worse if ones kinda weak. I notice it works fine after its been running a while. Maybe i should throw it on the charger overnight and see if it works good in the morn. Might be weak batteries as you said

Back