Electrolysis cleaning

SmokeN 12 ValvE

Diesel Enthusiast
Have any of you used electrolysis cleaning technique for cleaning up a rusty block, nothing but a lot of surface rust. I was looking at doing this mainly because I have everything to do it, and trying to save every penny I can.

I have never done it on a block but I have a 400 chevy block I'm going to try it on. I have done quite a bit with it and even wrote a magazine article on it;
Electrolysis: another way to remove rust

You will still need to wipe/scrub the black soot off when you take it out of the tank. Alternatively you could use a pressure washer to blast the stuff off.

Nice artical.. Never thought about adding a battery to the circuit... Haven't tried a block yet.. but I should I have a pile of old tractor block sitting around.. actually sitting right next to the tank...
Old lawn mower blades work great too... I've usually got a few around.. but stop at a small engine shop.. they'll have a pile of them around..
Bryan

Does doing that also remove paint? I have an old trailer frame that is pretty rusted with some paint left on it. And I don't want to spend the money on sandblasting it!

It will remove paint if the part is fairly rusty. There is an article online about doing a trailer frame. Do a search and it should come up. He had to use a DC welder as a power source. Building a tank big enough to submerse the thing in is a big challenge as well.

Back