Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
FireMedic717

Name: FireMedic717
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Sticking exahust brake

I have an 08 ram 2500 has full deletes and mini max tuner, with 130,000 miles on it. I was reading an old post on here from someone called “Black smoke” or something like that, anyway it talked about some issues with the ex brake stinking and not turning off unless rpm dropped bellow 1200. But I never got to read about a solution. What happens is, with higher speeds towing or not when you let off accelerator the exahust brake kicks on but won’t release till the RPM’s drop below 1200. Kind of sucks when moving down the interstate. I’ve seen a lot of posts saying only fix was replacing the turbo. I don’t believe it, truck has tons of power.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That's how it's supposed to work, if it turned off at like 2500rpm it wouldn't be effective. When I'm towing with the brake on and slowing down but don't want the brake slowing to much I just barely tip in the throttle enough it doesn't apply.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
FireMedic717

Member`s Gallery
Sorry should of been a little more specific, when it kicks on and then try to get back on it it won’t disengage,

Old 03-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
The most effective way I have found to diagnose these turbos is remove the actuator. If the driven lever on the turbo moves freely, I assume it is not sticking from carbon/soot/rust buildup. At that point you can re-align it and re-install the actuator and try it. If it was not aligned correctly, it can shut too far and the exhaust pressure will make it stick on.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
FireMedic717

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04jimc View Post
The most effective way I have found to diagnose these turbos is remove the actuator. If the driven lever on the turbo moves freely, I assume it is not sticking from carbon/soot/rust buildup. At that point you can re-align it and re-install the actuator and try it. If it was not aligned correctly, it can shut too far and the exhaust pressure will make it stick on.
I’ve never removed one beore and I’m sure there are plenty of how to vids on YouTube, any recommendations? Also is it possible for the actuator to become unaligned?

Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic717 View Post
I’ve never removed one beore and I’m sure there are plenty of how to vids on YouTube, any recommendations? Also is it possible for the actuator to become unaligned?
Just have to drain coolant and take it off thru fenderwell. Only time I've had them unaligned is if someone messed with it or it's a reman that was screwed up, though. Chances are yours is all gunked up, which you'll know when u try to move the lever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
FireMedic717

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04jimc View Post
Just have to drain coolant and take it off thru fenderwell. Only time I've had them unaligned is if someone messed with it or it's a reman that was screwed up, though. Chances are yours is all gunked up, which you'll know when u try to move the lever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ll give it a shot when I get then next chance.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
thojer81

Name: thojer81
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic717 View Post
Thanks I’ll give it a shot when I get then next chance.
How did you make out? I had my truck out on Sunday and seemed the exhaust brake wasn't holding back as much as it usually does. No codes but wondering if mine has the same problem with being all sooted up.

2010 CCSB All Stock

Closed Thread