Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Buck613

Name: Buck613
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
2009 Driveshaft U-Joint Questions

Hello,

I recently picked up an 09 with 75k on it and believe I need to replace the driveshaft u-joints; When starting off in 2nd (g56) I sporadically get a "clunk" in the rear end. Yesterday I started hearing a squeaking noise that increases in frequency as I accelerate to above 2k RPM, at which point it is no longer audible. Everything points to the rear driveshaft u-joints, and I will be putting the rear end in the air to verify.

From what I have read, the best replacements are Spicer non-serviceable, does anyone have a part number for the correct replacements? Are there any other brands that I should consider/avoid?

Also, what driveshaft is in this truck? I know AAM, but it appears there are different series. This one is a one-piece and the truck is a shortbed.

There are no retainers holding the u-joints in the yolk, how does the r&r procedure differ from those with retainers?

Am I better off bringing the driveshaft down to service shop and having them replace them?

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Benny

Name: Benny
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
The factory u-joints are held in with injected plastic. Heat round the u-joint with a torch until the plastic "snakes out" then press the u-joints out like normal

The new ones with have normal retainers.

Closed Thread