Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
ThatStevensKid

Name: ThatStevensKid
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Overdrive Unit

After doing some trading with a friend I wound up with a US Gear Overdrive unit. It does however need a rebuild but none the less an overdrive unit. I was wondering who all is using one of these and what your thoughts are on it.

The truck it'd be going on is a '95 RCLB 2wd NV4500 with a heavy duty front end. As of now it has 3.54s which I would swap if I decided to use this. It is going to primarily be a over the road truck that will see some life in the field as a service truck. So it would be nice to have the variability of low side for the field and high side for the rd. Any input would be helpful as to if it is worth the time and money rebuilding for what I will gain. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
ThatStevensKid

Name: ThatStevensKid
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Anyone?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Big Boy Toys

Name: Big Boy Toys
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
May have to give it a little more time, im sure someone will chime in. I'd be happy to help but I don't have any personal experience with GVs.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
nitrogen

Name: nitrogen
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I can't imagine the rebuild being huge money. regearing would be the big money and hassle. on ce done though I would think it would do what you want. If you're using it as a low range rather than a gear splitter, I'd go to 4.11 or there abouts. fairly low off road, and in high close to where you are now. or just regift it to me :-)

Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #5
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
Seems you would also have to swap to a 4x4 trans and buy a transfer case. Talked to some a few years back about putting one in my 2wd and they werent availiable, only for a 4x4 installed between the trans and transfer case.
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
bigdirtjob

Name: bigdirtjob
Title: workin man
Member`s Gallery
Yes its worth it. I wouldn't swap gears till you install it and check it out. It replaces your tail shaft housing. Will have to shorten the driveshaft also. No big mods. Make sure you have driveshaft balanced too. Its actually an under drive for 2nd thru 5th with an OD for 5th.
If its installed on a 4x4 it can't be used while in 4x4 but, why would you need to. They also say not to tow in 5th over.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
bigdirtjob

Name: bigdirtjob
Title: workin man
Member`s Gallery
If you don't want it pm me.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
gunracer1

Name: gunracer1
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
how much you want for it. i have one on my 95 2wd but i lost the speed generator out of it. it seems parts are non exsistant.
98 3500 4x4 quad 12v 5 speed,98 quad 4x4 12v stock sold, and a 95 reg cab getting triples.97 dually 4x4,6 speed over 500 rwhp, sold, 98 3/4 ton short bed reg cab, over 500 rwhp, sold. 98 quad 5 speed sold and the wife has a little dmax.

Closed Thread