Looking to buy a Duramax, which one?

its always sketchy buying something with work done like that because no matter what they tell you you can guarantee its been beat on. this guy also sounds like he has more money then brains and really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

honestly i would start off with something stock then modify it yourself so then you can be sure its been done right. and all the stuff done to that wont make it get any better mileage then a stock truck with an exhaust and tuner.

its always sketchy buying something with work done like that because no matter what they tell you you can guarantee its been beat on. this guy also sounds like he has more money then brains and really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

honestly i would start off with something stock then modify it yourself so then you can be sure its been done right. and all the stuff done to that wont make it get any better mileage then a stock truck with an exhaust and tuner.

Unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of.

My only interest in it was the fact that it has the aftermarket, upgraded transmission, which from my limited understanding with the D-Maxs, is the weakest link, and will start to slip/fail with about a +100-125 HP tune.

I'd really like to find an 04-06, less than 100k miles, ext or crew cab, 2wd, LT package, and then just put a cold air intake, and let D-maxtuner.com make me a mileage, sport, and tow tune for it.

Unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of.

My only interest in it was the fact that it has the aftermarket, upgraded transmission, which from my limited understanding with the D-Maxs, is the weakest link, and will start to slip/fail with about a +100-125 HP tune.

I'd really like to find an 04-06, less than 100k miles, ext or crew cab, 2wd, LT package, and then just put a cold air intake, and let D-maxtuner.com make me a mileage, sport, and tow tune for it.

thats a good start, the only thing i would do differently is look for a 4x4, i know you don't plan on racing it at the moment but things can change and its always nice to have that 4x4 ability in there. then if you catch the diesel bug you can go buck crazy with the trans and everything else. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised on just how fast these trucks are even with the stock trans. I was running 13.5's with mine for some time before i got it built

also if you find an 04 i would say look for an LLY as opposed to an LB7 then you wont really need to worry about injector problems.

Back