Average Life Span of a D-Max

R.A.T.D.

Goat Smoke
Can anyone tell me what the average life span of a D-Max engine is before it needs overhauled? How many miles approx?

That all depends on how it has been taken care of and what mods. Also, which engine is it? LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM? I have seen some that have went 400k with out a rebuild and seen some that needed rebuilt at a little over 100k.

X2

We have a local parts/salvage yard that has delivery around most of the eastern US. They run quite a few dmaxes in 3500HD Stake trucks and 4500-5500 rollbacks and box trucks. A few of them are over 600k without more than regular PM, even original transmission.

D-max engine rebuild

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have some suggestions on where a guy could go to check on a rebuild kit for a D-max LBZ?

We have 5 dmax's around here and they have been great, minus some injector issues on the early ones.

Not one burns a drop of oil, even the 01 that must have 500k on it at least by now.

All in stock trim.

The truck in question is all stock and has pulled a trailer for most of the 200,000 miles on the odometer. Its had a head gasket let go for some unknown reason. Going back with a set of ARP head studs and calling it good.

I just had one in my shop the other day doing some maint. and it has 403,184 miles on it with a pretty good size tune on it from day one and has pulled a trailer everyday since new with draft horses in it all over the country...Nothing has been done except for a few injectors here and there....

they seem to last pretty good, im partial to the cummins though, i've seen 4 go over a million on virgin motors. but the Dmax is a durable motor, the key is to keep it maintained

Back