Idi twin turbo??????

Ok this is the start of a plan i want some thing low pressure for this wanna take my 91 7.3 and do a twin turbo setup on it for two reasons one i have two factory gm 6.5 turbos the build is gonna be fairly simple each manifold will run a single turbo and have my intake side built from exhaust pipe two into one kind of set up i wanna know is this gonna be too much for the heads? I am the proud new owner of a pipe bender so i can fabricate most my self so what u guys think

I think it's a completely do-able project and would be fun. However I think you can't just take any two turbos you happen to find and hope it works. You may have to change turbine housings or something to reduce volume since you're basically only running 4cyls into each turbo. I think much smaller turbos are in order to make this work. But it's a good idea and might just turn out great. Go find some expert help on turbo selection. Personally I'd keep the remainder of the engine stock and just focus on the turbocharging. Adjust fuel after for to match the new turbos. Don't try to make a bunch of "smoke". Adjust it correctly.

Last edited:
The two turbos you have are too big. This has been done on a 6.5, but I think the turbos used on that were off of a small gas motor. If I remember they were subaru turbos. So the turbos were off about 2.5L motors? There are still probably pictures somewhere.

Ok so after some lookin i found a set of 2.3 factory turbos off of 4 cyl turbo mustangs i cant find out the boost they make but im sure my motor will hold up i plan on trying to use my factorty pump gonna tune it when i mount the turbos as for oil i hhad seen a runaway so i was thinking about an electric oil pump and have a seprate oil tank and cooler

Ok as of today done a mock up on a complete engine thats not in a truck tried with 2"in pipe 2 1/2 and 3 2"1/2 was my choice for the exhause side which poses a new problem im goin to have to build a flange my self or well a set But on the plus side i have got a friend rebilding the turbos for 60 bucks each

Something I've contemplated trying someday would be to run two pumps in parallel. There's a guy who does tractor pulls with a duramax-powered massey that used to have a 6.2L in it. He ran twin injection pumps:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/kolkman.htm
I don't know what the max flow rate of the stock injectors flow, but they'd be your limiting factor for power after the pump and turbos were taken care of. I don't know if some injectors off the old cat idis would work, but I've also thought about trying that later... I have a lot of fun/crazy ideas for these engines because they're underdogs.

Anyways, if you don't like the twin pump idea, you could run one of the moose pumps that the oilburner guys like so much. They still won't support the air of twin turbos though. Fuel is the biggest limiting factor on these engines assuming you stud the heads (which I'm sure you've already done or are planning on doing... I hope...).

Ok this is the start of a plan i want some thing low pressure for this wanna take my 91 7.3 and do a twin turbo setup on it for two reasons one i have two factory gm 6.5 turbos the build is gonna be fairly simple each manifold will run a single turbo and have my intake side built from exhaust pipe two into one kind of set up i wanna know is this gonna be too much for the heads? I am the proud new owner of a pipe bender so i can fabricate most my self so what u guys think

The static compression ratio of the engine is too high. It might live for a little while if you run external wastegates.

Seen a guy run twins (one on each manifold) on a 6.2, pretty sure he used turbos off of a 300d Mercedes, heard it ran good, then he kinda fell off the map. I figured he broke the crank about 2 weeks in. IH engine would probably handle it a lot better.

Something I've contemplated trying someday would be to run two pumps in parallel. There's a guy who does tractor pulls with a duramax-powered massey that used to have a 6.2L in it. He ran twin injection pumps:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/kolkman.htm
I don't know what the max flow rate of the stock injectors flow, but they'd be your limiting factor for power after the pump and turbos were taken care of. I don't know if some injectors off the old cat idis would work, but I've also thought about trying that later... I have a lot of fun/crazy ideas for these engines because they're underdogs.

Anyways, if you don't like the twin pump idea, you could run one of the moose pumps that the oilburner guys like so much. They still won't support the air of twin turbos though. Fuel is the biggest limiting factor on these engines assuming you stud the heads (which I'm sure you've already done or are planning on doing... I hope...).

Why run a moose pump when you can get better pumps that flow twice as much fuel...

Fuel is the limting factor right now, and there is no reason for twins when all we have is 180cc's to work with... A single will burn all of that fuel.

2.5-2.7whp/cc is the dyno'd range for an IDI... so provided we can get an efficient setup, we could get close to 500whp, but I doubt we will make the number itself...

As far as injectors go, as of now they arent a restriction... They have an Orifice size 3 times that of a 5x.012 injector... With a pintle tip removed, they can flow more fuel than we can deliver.

Last edited:
Back