Abridged version of the build (lots of pics, few words)

Good Job on that Head!!! Now aren't you glad you won't have to worry!!
The extra drilling step was a bit more detailed than buying the kit but I'm sure it saved a good bit of money. Plus I'm sure the plugs you used are more readily availible!!

BTW...You took the hard way to remove the plugs too....lol

I just took a screw driver and a mallet...Place the flat head on the side and Smacked it!!!! lol It just turns sideways in the hole.
Took a pair of plyers and then Yanked it out!!

^ This is just how we do things in East Griffin GA!!!!:hehe:

I'll be back in town Thursday night, let the beer flow!!!!

That head came out nice. :Cheer:

Hey Brian, Maybe if the drive isn't too far...We three should pick a spot somewhere in the middle and meet up for a few :Cheer:

Let me know!

BTW...You took the hard way to remove the plugs too....lol

I just took a screw driver and a mallet...Place the flat head on the side and Smacked it!!!! lol It just turns sideways in the hole.
Took a pair of plyers and then Yanked it out!!

^ This is just how we do things in East Griffin GA!!!!:hehe:

Hey Brian, Maybe if the drive isn't too far...We three should pick a spot somewhere in the middle and meet up for a few :Cheer:

Let me know!

Yeeeeeeeah, I'm just not a huge fan of "ding" when I don't have to.

That's what we have The Jerk Off for......that's our favorite tool in the shop.

Besides, we are over here in East Alabama, so you know there had to be a bit 'o redneck engineering.

:hehe:

I'm sure the kit likely comes with metric pipe caps......likely an M22 or something like that.

Do ya remember what size tap it came with?

Nice thing about doing this, I just hit up Grainger or Parker and get some staineless 3/4 - 14 caps and call it good.

Yeeeeeeeah, I'm just not a huge fan of "ding" when I don't have to.

That's what we have The Jerk Off for......that's our favorite tool in the shop.

Besides, we are over here in East Alabama, so you know there had to be a bit 'o redneck engineering.

:hehe:

I'm sure the kit likely comes with metric pipe caps......likely an M22 or something like that.

Do ya remember what size tap it came with?

Nice thing about doing this, I just hit up Grainger or Parker and get some staineless 3/4 - 14 caps and call it good.

I believe the plugs were 24 / 1.5 pitch

Tap had all the marking's removed...

Yeah, your way just add's one step and more readily availible parts.....

Same result is all that matters!!

Nice! I just finished up the same process. Are you going to shot peen/polish those rods?

As soon as I have a set of pistons to go with them, the crank, rods, rison and flex plate are getting balanced and the rods are getting shot peened.

I may do a light polish on them, but mainly just to removed the ridge.

Got the head done this evening.

Was moving a little slow on it.....spent most of the day at the Optamologist getting 2 pieces of aluminum removed from my eye. Yeah, that was joy. Note to self, don't wipe your face on your sleeve when it's covered in aluminum shards.

Anyways, tomorrow the valves will get lapped and the head will be ready to go together.

Also, got a call from UPS today. My pistons are back here and I need to go over and give them the part numbers and the replacement cost so I can get my junk.....and turn around and send them straight to Polydyn for coating.

Slide1-99.jpg

Slide2-100.jpg

Slide3-72.jpg

Slide4-44.jpg

Slide5-30.jpg

As soon as I have a set of pistons to go with them, the crank, rods, rison and flex plate are getting balanced and the rods are getting shot peened.

I may do a light polish on them, but mainly just to removed the ridge.

Mine turned out verrryy shinny. And weight equalized to within 1/4 gram of each other. I can't wait to see how she likes high rpm and what kind of a difference a balance job really makes. I've heard good things about them!

If you've got them out you might as well do it, its worth the time for the peace of mind! Everything is looking great!

So, I got the pistons back from UPS and the claim is in.

Opened them up and took the photos for the claim right there at UPS.

Here is the condition they came back in.....gonna make some pretty cool paper weights.

Slide1-100.jpg

Slide2-101.jpg

Slide3-73.jpg

Slide4-45.jpg

Slide5-31.jpg

Slide6-20.jpg

Slide7-16.jpg

Slide8-13.jpg

Slide9-11.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.c
om/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Truck%20Pictures/Slide10-7.jpg

Slide11-6.jpg

Slide13-4.jpg

How did they do that did someone not wrap them properly? The damage is minimal and can be repaired are they stock or over?

Looks like poor packaging caused the piston damage. Do not be surprised if UPS denies that claim. If the box is still in decent shape they are going to deny it for certain.

Damn! That is messed up. Looks like someone took them out of the box and bang them on a steel table. Just another reason I dislike UPS.

Looks like poor packaging caused the piston damage. Do not be surprised if UPS denies that claim. If the box is still in decent shape they are going to deny it for certain.

Uhhhhh, yeah, no!

The only way you'll cause that much damage to ALL 6 FRIGGIN PISTONS is to give the box to a a bunch of drunk monkeys to play soccer with.

How did they do that did someone not wrap them properly? The damage is minimal and can be repaired are they stock or over?

I packaged them personally.

Trust me. The only way these were getting wrapped up better was if they were packed in that seal-in-place expanding foam.

Damn man I knew you were having problems with the pistons but I didnt know they were gonna end up looking like this ... Hope the issue gets fixed quickly bro so that you can get it back together ... Matt

Got the valves all lapped today.

Gotta clean up the head tomorrow and then it'll go back together.

The valves came out MUCH better than what they were.

Some of the stuff you'll need.....

Slide1-101.jpg

Slide2-102.jpg

Slide3-74.jpg

Before lapping.....

Slide4-46.jpg

Liberal coating of valve grinding compound.....

Slide5-32.jpg

Lapped to each valve seat.....

Slide6-21.jpg

Slide7-17.jpg

Slide8-14.jpg

All valves done and marked for cleaning.

Slide9-12.jpg

Slide10-8.jpg

Back