So i bought a common rail 4bt...

ISBand4BT

HELP! haha i dont know much about the common rail 4bt's. Do they use the same CP3 as a regular one? How's the wiring and such work?

At last years Purdue Dyno day I talked to Chase Fleece and he said they had one. Maybe one of the Fleece boys could give you some insight on them??

In the mean time if you can come up with a serial number for the engine I may be able to see if the part number for the pump is the same as that on a 6 cylinder.

All of the CR ones I have ever seen are RGT (rear gear train) and basically NOTHING interchanges with a CR from a Dodge truck.
Hope you have something that's going to be totally custom, because there aren't many automotive applications they'll work in, without a BUNCH of custom fabricating to make any tranny other than what they came with fit behind them.

The crux of the whole problem is the crankshaft, everything else could be changed to FGT fairly inexpensively EXCEPT the crankshaft.

Mark.

Alright, so, basically, if i dont have the tranny that it came in, it's kind of useless?

And i mean, for $600 bucks, i couldnt pass it up.

Hell, for $600, I'd love to have one just to play with!
Missing the ECM is a major setback, though.

Mark.

Slightly, I messaged the guy to see if he still has it. I'm goin tonight to pick it up.

I'm just kind of excited to play with one too.

I'd be curious as to why it wasn't made available with the engine, even at a higher price?

FWIW, when people remove certain items from complete items, you have to wonder at what you're actually getting.
But then, that's my suspicious side kicking in. :hehe:

Mark.

I am getting the wiring harness with it. He said he got it off his brother who has a truck garage. i'm thinking they pulled it cuz the truck was junk. He said he was going to put it into a jeep, but doesnt have time anymore for it.

N Mark, if what you're saying is correct, If i get a crank made (and possibly a cam), i should be able to use front gear train on it?

If you get that engine serial number I can cross some stuff on quickserve and see what I can dig up.

I've never seen a CR 3.9 in pieces, yet, so I can't say with 100% certainty that the block is the same as anything else.
Going by the RGT 6.7s and 5.9s I have seen, the blocks are commonrail specific, in that the only timing case that works is commonrail, unless you drill some holes and move some dowel/locating pins around.

As far as a crankshaft goes, I overstated the importance of it, as it is possible that a 4b or 4bt crank will still fit in the commonrail block.
If it's the same as the difference between a 12/24 valve crank, the only difference in a commonrail crank in a 5.9 is the dowel that locates the tone ring on a commonrail.

Again, since I've yet to dissect a 3.9 CR (or it's 4.5 CR cousin), this is mostly just speculation, based on what I have personally seen while tearing various versions of Cummins engines down.

Mark.

If you get that engine serial number I can cross some stuff on quickserve and see what I can dig up.

Engine No. 21534417
Family. 2CEXH0239BAD
Model. ISB170
Date of Mfg. 09-04-02

Wonder if the "bad" at the end of the family is a sign??? :hehe:

Jon I say leave it RGT and put the allison back behind it, or whatever else it may have been previously. :rockwoot:

I'm thinkin bout puttin it in either my jeep or nikki's...

Unless i find an old 2wd dodge truck to put it in...

Call me crazy but the picture of the block on quickserve for your engine does not show a tappet cover...

The block for a standard 3.9 4bt shows one.

The block part numbers are in fact different. This was expected. Cummins does funky things with part numbers sometimes too though. The hole for the lift pump is in a different location and the block topography looks different as well.

I will do more digging and see what I can do.

Alright. I do see a CP3 on the motor. I didnt think it was there, but after doing some digging myself, i figured it out

Back