Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
I just got my HE451VeTi in the mail and took it apart immediately to look at things... I must say I am impressed with the new compressor wheels. Compared to my HX40 it is pure art. Looks like Holset has finally caught on to extended tip compressor wheels. From what I have been reading the compressor wheel is made of a titanium alloy and from what I can see it looks like it is a billet wheel. I have yet to tear into the exhaust side (if I spend any more time with it my fiance will shoot me), but the compressor has some interesting measurements.

I'm not a turbo guru, but I would assume that a comp wheel with a minor of 60mm and a major of 90mm would be rather efficient at squeezing things. Any thoughts?

Have one torn apart now, and i noticed the same things. On a side not if you happen to know the resistance the motor works off let me know.

Oh that's funny.. I just got done taking some pictures... Once I get them into my gallery I'll try to figure out how to post them on here. I didn't dare go near the computer let alone the turbo yesterday... I most definitely would have been shot :bang :kick:

ttt

Attachments

• P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 786
  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 647
  • P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 435
Site dosent seem to want to upload the rest. But you get the idea.

Attachments

• P2080033.jpg
    P2080033.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 431
  • P2080034.jpg
    P2080034.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 342
well here goes

Look at that gap below the silencer ring... Weird
turbosilencerring.jpg

I like the new openings for secondary air
turbonosilencerring.jpg

Anyone else think that looks CNC machined? Looks a lot like titanium to me...
turbocompressorwheel1.jpg

Also looks a lot like an extended tip compressor wheel to me as well...
turbocompressorwheel2.jpg

:Cheer:
turbocompressorwheel3.jpg

The turbine wheel is rather large and has 11 vanes
turboturbinemajor1.jpg

Speaks for itself... Turbine major measurement
turboturbinemajor2.jpg

Also speaks for itself... Turbine minor measurement
turboturbineminor.jpg

I've got more if you want to see them PM me

What? All those pretty pictures and no compliments? :( That hurts... J/K

Figured I'd give it a bump for anyone else who was curious :poke:

Pics look great thanks for the post. A few years ago I had thoughts about putting a big VVT just I am not electronics guru that I needed to be to make it work. Is that turbo on a small engine 360ci area.

Pics look great thanks for the post. A few years ago I had thoughts about putting a big VVT just I am not electronics guru that I needed to be to make it work. Is that turbo on a small engine 360ci area.

Well the turbo I got is a HE451VeTi off of an ISL which is 8.9L or somewhere around 550cid... So I figure it should work nicely on 359 :rockwoot:

You can pick these VGT Holsets up pretty cheap, and they're not that bad to manually control without electronics. Or at least so I hope, there have been a few guys that have successfully ran them on tuner cars using simple old school boost controlled wastegate actuators :Cheer:

i havent been able to locate one of these? looks like somethin to try. u plan on puttin it on soon? im real curious on how it will work.

i havent been able to locate one of these? looks like somethin to try. u plan on puttin it on soon? im real curious on how it will work.

Kind of a winter project ATM since I don't drive my truck much during the winter... I'm working on getting some other parts put together before I'll know how well this works.

It took me a couple of months before I found this one... You just have to hop on Ebay and type in Holset turbo once in a while and scroll through the list to see if you can find anything. HE431v, HE451VeTi, pretty much the same turbo other than the size of the exhaust housing (one's from an 8.3 other from an 8.9). People are also working on the HE351v turbos off the 6.7's so you can possibly use the exhaust brake too. They supposedly share the same compressor wheel, but the 400 series has a bigger turbine wheel.

Anyway, I'll continue updating things as I make progress with it.

yea keep us updated. i like tryin different stuff then most ppl try. jus to say im lil bit different. but ill keep lookin i reckon!

Back