'71 F250 Cummins 47rh

fordpickupman

I finished this swap 2 years ago and have put over 30,000 miles on it. It's the pickup in my signature line.

I was given the pickup for hauling off the load of trash that was in the bed. It had a very tired 390/C6 combo in it. I drove it for about 5 years in this configuration, until it would barely pull itself down the road. I had stashed a 410 Merc for it, but after pricing the rebuild of it and the C6, I started looking for a donor for a Cummins swap. I came across a '94 2x 2500 with 436,000 miles on it. $2,500 and we drove her home. I drove it to work for a couple weeks to see how it ran. She scooted along alright w the 100 plate that the previous owner had installed.

It was around this time that I found Competition Diesel. I'm still trying to decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

I performed most (if not all) the cheap/free Ppump mods, upped the timing, installed 5x.010 injectors and proceeded to drive it like kid (mid-life crisis I guess).

This last winter ('15-16) I got some 191 dvs for Christmas, upped the timing to what i thought was 22*, and exceeded the fun-ability of the 47rh and got ahold of Will at Power Driven Diesel. He hooked me up with a bunch of upgraded parts and added extra clutches/frictions. Thank you to him and all of the rest of you guys for the indepth discussions and write ups I was able to rebuild my 47 to take the beating I want to throw at it.

I drove it for 1 week and blew the head gasket. Dang, I had been wanting to port the head any how. After pulling the head it appears I was at more like 26* timing. After talking to Bigblue24 about it, he said that the lift measurement method is not very accurate aft abut 17-18 degrees and I should use the damper rotation method. So I performed what some consider a stage 2 port job and I unshrouded the valves. I copied Bigblue24's 3 angle valve grind to smooth the flow further. Then I added a set of Power Driven's 5x.012 injectors.

I got it all back together at 20* timing, ysing the damper rotation method and checked it at the lift pump. Damper method shows 20* and the injection pump shows 19*. I haven't beat on it yet as I'm still letting the head gasket settle and will re torque it a couple times. But so far at cruising speed it has dropped almost 200* off the pyro and lost 5-6 psi boost. Porting makes a difference in efficiency. It was worth eating all that iron dust and not being able to drive the ol girl for a couple months.

I will post some pics when I get to a computer in the next day or two.

Back