Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
dblaron2010

Name: dblaron2010
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
LED shop Lights

I was looking to upgrade my shop lighting and was wondering if anyone has tried or uses LED Shop lights that go on the ceiling. Are they worth the money? or should I go with the contemporary style.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
I had some cheaper ones that were really bright and diffused the light pretty well, for @ $35 each.
I bought them at a local "Menard's" home store, but I forget the brand name.

They didn't have nearly as much of the "spotty" glare that you get with many of the LED lights I have seen.

Mark.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
bobxr50

Name: bobxr50
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Just a FYI most LED 4' t8 strip lamps draw 18-22 watts. You are not saving much on energy savings. Only benefit to LED is big manufacturing company's that have thousands.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I bought two, 4ft plug in lights a month ago for the house garage. No warm up is the only benefit from a lighting standpoint, that I can see.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
torqueofthetown

Name: torqueofthetown
Member`s Gallery
IMHO, Longevity and better lighting are the main benefits of LED's with slightly lower power consumption just icing on the cake.

I got a half a dozen 4' LED shop fixtures at Costco a few months ago and to me they do a better job of lighting the garage.

The main reason I switched is the longevity of the LED's. with six fixtures it always seemed like one tube was in need of replacing.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Not shop lights, but I swapped the 60 watt incandescent bulbs throughout the house with 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs that I bought for $.99 each at Lowe's on Black Friday and noticed about a $30-40 drop on my electric bills each month. So replacing the 38 or so bulbs in the house paid for itself in about a month and a half.

They are brighter by far than the standard bulbs and the instant turn on is nice too!

Three of them have burned out but the rest are still going strong. I bought a few extra so I am good so far, hopefully they will last a year or more, but either way at that cheap price they more than paid for themselves! I plan to buy more this year if they are on sale again. I also need to buy the LED replacement bulbs for our ceiling fans to complete our conversion to LED.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
will24

Name: will24
Title: That guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Not shop lights, but I swapped the 60 watt incandescent bulbs throughout the house with 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs that I bought for $.99 each at Lowe's on Black Friday and noticed about a $30-40 drop on my electric bills each month. So replacing the 38 or so bulbs in the house paid for itself in about a month and a half.

They are brighter by far than the standard bulbs and the instant turn on is nice too!

Three of them have burned out but the rest are still going strong. I bought a few extra so I am good so far, hopefully they will last a year or more, but either way at that cheap price they more than paid for themselves! I plan to buy more this year if they are on sale again. I also need to buy the LED replacement bulbs for our ceiling fans to complete our conversion to LED.

You got a better deal than me, but I swapped my whole house to 60w equivalent feit electric LEDs from Costco, $19.99 for a 10 pack. I'm happy with them!

Sent from my flashscan v2

Old 06-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
When we redid our shop we put LED lighting in it, it was expensive that's for sure. BUT, it really lights the place up, you don't have to worry about stupid bulbs burning out constantly, they have a 10 year warrenty, and I don't notice as many shadows in when working on equipment with the hoods open and etc.

If I had it to do over, you bet I would put them in again.
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 06-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by will24 View Post
You got a better deal than me, but I swapped my whole house to 60w equivalent feit electric LEDs from Costco, $19.99 for a 10 pack. I'm happy with them!

Sent from my flashscan v2
I'm sure the Feit bulbs will last much longer than the black friday no-name Lowe's ones. I even noticed the hour rating was 2,000 or something like that, much lower than other major brands, but at $.99 each it was worth it, and like I said only 3 have stopped working so far after 7 months so not too bad.

I bought 3 sets of the Feit 3-piece LED flashlight kits from Costco (3D, 3C and 3AAA flashlights) and they are great!!! I might even buy another set next time I go down there as they are on sale again now. The best thing about them is that they do not drain the batteries while being stored. Other cheap LED flashlights I've had drain the batteries when being stored while in the off position so when you actually need to use it they are dead, unless you remove the battery pack when not in use which is another hassle. The Feit ones are VERY bright and do not drain the batteries when being stored!!! I want to say the three pack is around $30 with the current coupon.

Very good price for quality lights in my opinion, very much brighter than my old 4D Mag lights even with a LED conversion bulb. I retired the Mag's now...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Mountainman234

Name: Mountainman234
Title: HillBilly
Member`s Gallery
OP, How tall are your ceilings?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #11
dblaron2010

Name: dblaron2010
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it

Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #12
Levi_plummer

Name: Levi_plummer
Member`s Gallery
What brand are the LED shop lights you all were using? A local friend sells them but they don't offer much of a warranty. He advertises them as CREE LED lights. With a 30,000 hour lifetime.

Closed Thread