Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Drasko

Name: Drasko
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
mains and rod hardware opinions

I have the block back from the machine shop and am FINALLY about to build the engine for this never ending project.
My main question is do i do ARP main stud and rod bolts or go with new standard cummins bolts? whats the limitations for the stock bottom end? im thinking stock bolts will survive this on a fresh rebuild. my setup is listed below. Thoughts? advice? I was planning on the ARPs until i read about machining with them installed due them causing things to go out of round which i did not do.
The set up is a 99 f-250 2wd/reg cab/long bed with a 12valve/47re combo.
Use for the truck is a fun street truck that wont see much if any track time due to my work schedule and nearest track location. it will see some runs on the street and what not though.
Planned setup-
160 pump that im sure will be adjusted after i get everything running
5x.016s 155* spray angle
131 DVs or the ones i had cut for my old truck that were FC with a .5mm shoulder
high 20's timing
83x74 S475 with a .9 AR t4 housing
marine bowl pistons
DIY exhaust port work
blocks bored 20 over
cam might be a 178 or 188 hamilton or it might be stock until i decide where i want to go with it.

Drasko
96 2500 ECLB 4x4 auto beater slow truck
96 3500 ECLBSW4x4 being rebuilt

Old 03-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Stox5225

Name: Stox5225
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
mains and rod hardware opinions

I played with the idea of main studs, BUT if you do the studs, you need to have a machine shop line hone where the crank sits. The studs clamp harder than the bolts which can cause the caps to twist a little. So the machine shop will have to install the studs and caps and hone them to prevent binding the crank. Now, there's no guarantee the crank will bind, but if it does ... well you get it.

I just retorqued my stock bolts to about 145ft-lbs. Buying new bolts is stupid expensive. I've been told and also read around that the stock bottom end can hold up to about 700hp.

As for the connecting rod bolts, definitely get new ARP ones. Not that expensive and certainly better than stock. You shouldn't reuse the ones that came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 Cummins 2500; NV4500HD; SB DD; 315/75R16; 3rd Gen Track Bar; 63/65/14; AFC Live; 7mm DV's; 4 GSK; Mac Rack Plug; Custom Fuel System; 5x.012; Colt Cam Big Stick; 60# Springs; PDD Stage 1 Push Rods; O-Ring Head; Head Studs; Fluidampr; Boost/EGT/FP Gauges

Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Inbred Inline

Name: Inbred Inline
Title: Bastard child builder
Member`s Gallery
L19 rod bolts are easy to do, FWIW I put 12mm main studs in my 24v block and they didn't move the mains around at all......but 14mm in a 12v block I would NOT do. 14mm studs have a higher torque # and will distort stuff much worse.
2000 Chevy CCSB C3500 3.0 Pro Stock 4x4 "Inbred Inline"-broken junk

Closed Thread