Intro

csmitty

Hi Guys, came here to research a 12V build for my 3rd gen. Its an 04 2500 QCSB with hemi and 545rfe. Currently it has 521k miles and is stock. It made it 227k before its first valve spring failure resulting in a dropped valve which imbedded itself in the piston. (i might still have a pic somewhere). The cylinder wall was miraculously untouched. However the Engine was swapped with a used (low mile) one which went 40k before another valve spring failure. This one sent the valve stem through the cylinder wall into the water jacket. This was dads truck at the time and I had an 06 2500 QCSB with a CR. So between the two engines we pieced together a working one with the original block, 1 piston from the 2nd engine (probably wasn't mic'd) and 1 head from original, and the other head from the 2nd since failure's were on opposite banks. Valve springs were new updated design from Mopar. Its been together ever since. No tranny work other than filters and fluids. He got a 2015 2500 6.7 in 14 and bought this 04 with 475k on it. Intentions all along was for a swap but its held together the last two years and with getting married and buying our home (and home projects) its been put off.

Now with 521k I found a good deal on a used 12valve and found a reman'd 47rh for a good deal. Will keep the 273D and do a ford mainshaft swap for a fixed rear flange.

Also working on replacing all the wear parts as its started some good popping and creaking recently. I did the spring wear pads and have bushings and shackles ready to go. The front axle needs pretty much everything.

521k on a gas. Fingers crossed everyday.

Also there are no more oil changes. Just change the filter every once in a while. Probably goes through a qt every 1-2 weeks. There can't be much ring material left anymore. 7 of those pistons are original.

Back