Nv5600 rebuild

The ZF6 is a lot stouter. There are 3 versions though. The ZF S6-650 came in both the Superduty and Duramax equipped trucks. The ZF 6S-750 was used in 03'+ Superduty trucks. Both Ford version have an external oil cooler similar to automatics where as the Duramax version does not have this feature.

Even though the ZF has an aluminum case, it doesn't experience the same flex the G56 does mainly because of a third shaft support in the center of the case which the Dodge transmissions do not have. The main way to tell if you're looking at an ZF S6-650 and a 6S-750 is that the 750 has the bigger shaft and a larger tail shaft spline count at 34 splines.

I will be throwing one in my truck within the next few months hopefully, I already have the trans.

The ZF6 is a lot stouter. There are 3 versions though. The ZF S6-650 came in both the Superduty and Duramax equipped trucks. The ZF 6S-750 was used in 03'+ Superduty trucks. Both Ford version have an external oil cooler similar to automatics where as the Duramax version does not have this feature.
Even though the ZF has an aluminum case, it doesn't experience the same flex the G56 does mainly because of a third shaft support in the center of the case which the Dodge transmissions do not have. The main way to tell if you're looking at an ZF S6-650 and a 6S-750 is that the 750 has the bigger shaft and a larger tail shaft spline count at 34 splines.

I will be throwing one in my truck within the next few months hopefully, I already have the trans.

Which trans do you have? Does it bolt right up? Is a different transfer case required? You should do a thread on the trans swap.

I'll do a thread on it a few months from now when I have the cash to buy the rest of the parts.

I have the ZF 6S-750. Both versions of the Ford Transmissions have different bell housing than the Dodge, and both the Ford transmissions have different bell housings from each other. De-Stroked makes adapter plates for both versions.

The transmissions will not bolt up to a NP-241 transfer-case due to the fact there were no 34 spline input shafts made that t-case since it didn't bolt up to a transmission of that size. Any NP-271 (Dodge or Ford) can have the right input shaft swapped in, how ever the Dodge and Ford t-cases are angled slightly different but both will work fine. For mine, I acquired a Ford NP-271 but I still need to change out the input shafts due to the fact this transfer-case was from an automatic with a different spline count.

With the different bell housing, you will need a Ford starter as well to bolt up; and of course a custom built drive shaft for the difference in length. I have the 47RE transmission in my truck now and the ZF 6 is almost a foot longer in length.

If you're comming from a NV5600, the ZF 6S-750 also have a 1-1/4 input shaft so the clutch should work, but I will dig further into it when I buy a clutch for my swap.
The slave cylinder on the transmission is different as well and will need to be swapped.

So to sum up the parts you would need to swap in a ZF 6 transmission is as follows:
ZF 6 Transmission
NP-271 (and 34 spline input shaft)
De-stoked Bell housing adapter
Ford Starter
Customer drive shaft(s)
Clutch (If you don't already have one)

I really wanted to do a zf6 in my 2nd gen, I haven't seen many broken ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I like the zf6 also, been wanting to swap one in my '05 6.0L excursion... regarding the big fuller trans. I have two here a rt613, and a rt009513 etc... I am planning on doing a rt009513 in my willys cab / F550 project, and may do a rt613 non od in my 3.07 geared first gen....
Thanks,
Deo

Back