Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
driveshaft length

Have a dodge 3500 eclb with a nv5600 and 241dhd and wanting to install a one piece drive shaft. Anyone happen to know the length of the drive shaft i would need. Waiting on clutch and truck is apart wanting to get the driveshaft made before hand. So the truck can be running this week.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Red_Rattler

Name: Red_Rattler
Title: High Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
How much of a length difference in the 4500 vs 5600?

95 2500 4x4 Ext Cab Handshaker "BUCKN' BADGER"

Ducky Fuel Injection

Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
subtracting trans length would not work because the angle would be different. And the truck came with a two piece driveshaft stock.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Red_Rattler

Name: Red_Rattler
Title: High Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
Well I replaced my 2 piece with a custom one but its a 4500 so that's why I asked

95 2500 4x4 Ext Cab Handshaker "BUCKN' BADGER"

Ducky Fuel Injection

Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
70.5" iirc

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
I end up finding a truck local to take a measurement from. It was 72inch.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
72" is too long for a single piece shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Bponci

Name: Bponci
Title: rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
Correct. Expecially if your going to have any amount of power in front of it.
Daughter with a badass 1st gen 12mm VE 11.64@117mph

Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
ive seen it posted that 70inchs is fine but your saying two more inches is a problem. This will be just a daily driven truck also used on the farm with little bit extra power.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpcummins View Post
I end up finding a truck local to take a measurement from. It was 72inch.
Interesting.

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Make it a 5" driveshaft.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
ive seen it posted that 70inchs is fine but your saying two more inches is a problem. This will be just a daily driven truck also used on the farm with little bit extra power.
Here is your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Joe House had a one piece in his CCLB DRW and he pulled 2.6. It just depends who builds the shaft whether it holds up or not. If I recall his rear drive shaft was 80" long.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
1pieceatatime.

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWrencher View Post
Joe House had a one piece in his CCLB DRW and he pulled 2.6. It just depends who builds the shaft whether it holds up or not. If I recall his rear drive shaft was 80" long.

Horsepower is not the issue. The RPM the driveshaft turns is the issue.

Ide be more concerned with a driveshaft that long on a street driven truck that a high horsepower puller. Tubing that a Super Stock truck would have a hard time twisting off is readily available.

An over torque failure and a critical speed failure are 2 VERY different animals.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits

Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
Length is all dependent on use which is derived from weight, power, trans gearing and most important the highest rpm the shaft will see.

What can't be done in steel can be done in AL and CF

This is beyond 72"
Click the image to open in full size.

You could run a 72" shaft in STL at 4.5 or 5", however that will suck the performance from your truck turning that shaft, probably kill the t-case bushing with all that weight too and have speed limited rpm around 4200 or a few higher, which is right around the speed limiting of that 88" AL shaft.

And as 1pieceatatime said, over torque is usually a low speed break, rpm breaks are much more deadly as learned in a outlaw class a few years ago that you just don't throw CM in 3" at everything..... then thru the lights at 8k rpm and and the shaft comes apart because it was to long for the rpm and cuts thru EVERYTHING like roll bars, helmet, shoulder, head, face, arms, ribs, legs and barely leaving her alive....

As long as everything is looked at and calculated, there are alternatives.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
Length is all dependent on use which is derived from weight, power, trans gearing and most important the highest rpm the shaft will see.

What can't be done in steel can be done in AL and CF

This is beyond 72"

You could run a 72" shaft in STL at 4.5 or 5", however that will suck the performance from your truck turning that shaft, probably kill the t-case bushing with all that weight too and have speed limited rpm around 4200 or a few higher, which is right around the speed limiting of that 88" AL shaft.

And as 1pieceatatime said, over torque is usually a low speed break, rpm breaks are much more deadly as learned in a outlaw class a few years ago that you just don't throw CM in 3" at everything..... then thru the lights at 8k rpm and and the shaft comes apart because it was to long for the rpm and cuts thru EVERYTHING like roll bars, helmet, shoulder, head, face, arms, ribs, legs and barely leaving her alive....

As long as everything is looked at and calculated, there are alternatives.

For some of this stuff i dont even use 72" as a rule of thumb anymore. I actually use the calculators and customers tire size/gear ratio.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
Explain to me why a street truck or when pulling a trailer you ever need to be at 4200rpm or higher.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Explain to me why a street truck or when pulling a trailer you ever need to be at 4200rpm or higher.

Depends on your tire size and gear ratio. The bigger the gears the faster your driveshaft spins, the taller the tires the slower your driveshaft spins.

For reference ill use the ECLB chevys. I constantly get inquiries about replacing them with a steel single piece driveshaft. They have a single piece 5" diameter aluminum driveshaft thats is approx 74" long center of joint to center of joint. To replace one of these with a steel driveshaft (4" tubing which yokes are readily available for) your going to end up with a safe operating speed of about 3200 RPMs. With 3.73s and 32" tires you will be at the safe operating RPM of the driveshaft at 82mph.

Here is a picture of a critical speed failure. Picture is an actual steel replacement in a Dmax truck that originally had an aluminum shaft.

• End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When you/we remove the speed governors in our trucks and especially the GM trucks, you'll exceed the speed rpm of the shaft. Ever wonder why all the gm tahoe and yukon guys experience shaft failures on dyno's and at the track.... They got a programmer and removed the speed governor.... That was there for the shafts integrity not to keep them from doing over 90 mph.

4200 may be 100 mph, depending on gearing and tires it could be 80, but you GOT OVERdrive and think your only seeing 3500 rpm...ooooooops... how awesome would it be to have a shaft made and the yahoo shop doing it has no clue (there are plenty out there) and you and you go and pass the 2 big rigs doing 85 and bang the shaft comes apart and in 2 and wraps around the rear axle and gets under the right rear tire and your into the middle of 2 80,000lb 85 mph trucks.......

I just recently did a nasty V-10, customer wanted a 1 pc shaft, he is regulated by that shaft to nothing more than 130 mph oper gearing and tire size and i told him if he changes more stuff with the gearing or tires that limit could come down some.

Drag racing and you very well could exceed that shafts rpms, doing a over the top burnout and you very well could easily exceed the shafts speed.

When building a shaft all these things need to be known, like when balancing a shaft, im not turning the pos factory shaft to 6k, but when the customer says it still has a little something at 145mph... well now you know why EVERYTHING needs to be known for the shop and you.

Just can't turn shafts to whatever you want.
There are factory fords that have dbl od's and are nearly at 4000 rpm shaft speeds at 65mph, and they are tow trucks...

Lots of reasons why a shaft can be at 4200 rpm...

Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Depends on your tire size and gear ratio. The bigger the gears the faster your driveshaft spins, the taller the tires the slower your driveshaft spins.

For reference ill use the ECLB chevys. I constantly get inquiries about replacing them with a steel single piece driveshaft. They have a single piece 5" diameter aluminum driveshaft thats is approx 74" long center of joint to center of joint. To replace one of these with a steel driveshaft (4" tubing which yokes are readily available for) your going to end up with a safe operating speed of about 3200 RPMs. With 3.73s and 32" tires you will be at the safe operating RPM of the driveshaft at 82mph.

Here is a picture of a critical speed failure. Picture is an actual steel replacement in a Dmax truck that originally had an aluminum shaft.

That's a lucky break that person experienced, i got one a shop did and the shaft ripped apart, took out the exhaust, tank, diff, and locked up a wheel and with the fuel leaking all over put the truck in the wall from 85 mph and maybe lost 20 mph on the way to the wall.

Closed Thread