Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Linkster102

Name: Linkster102
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Automatic vs Manual

A couple buddies and me where comparing an automatic diesel and a manual diesel transmission for drag racing and an automatic transmission vs manual transmission for a gas car. We come up with the fact that an automatic transmissions for a diesel is better for speed in a diesel because they hold there boost and takes less time time shift and a manual transmission in a car because they have short shifts and can hold there rpms. Any suggestions of why this could be true or why it couldnt be true? Also what else is the benefits for either/or?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
xtreme8504

Name: xtreme8504
Title: Paid for by ME
Member`s Gallery
A good working auto is "faster" than [I]most[I] stick vehicles in any situation. Given the fact that 90% of people cant shift to save a life, the auto wins in drag racing. But there will always be that other 10% that will run faster with a stick...
Also a torque converter and gear ratio change can make a world of difference in how an auto works and what rpm the engine holds.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
mfolsomblueD

Name: mfolsomblueD
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Like said above, stick can be fast if driven right. Its cheaper to make a manual hold the power also

Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Mooring Product

Name: Mooring Product
Title: I just don't care
Member`s Gallery
No way in hell could I shift as fast as my truck does with the updated solenoid.

2012 3500 Mega Dually Laramie loaded 3:73

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. Jeremy Clarkson.

[url]www.mooringproductsworldwide.com[url]

Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Linkster102

Member`s Gallery
so your saying that if you are excellent at driving a stick and drive a truck that runs a 1/4 mile in 10's you have no advantage with either a stick or an automatic? I have a hard time believing that because i have always been told that an auto in a diesel is faster with lots of hp. If this is true then why are most gas motors faster with a stick?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
jaybuller

Name: jaybuller
Title: USCG MK
Member`s Gallery
why are boobs good? why is the sky blue? ....it just is!!! just like an auto is faster in a diesel, as is an auto in a gasser... some might make you think a stick in a gasser is quicker but its not, trust me, with the right convertor and valve bodie it will blow the doors off a stick car...
1997 4x4 auto 12v sold.....
1989 K5 Blazer 4x4. ppumped 4bt cummins/nv4500sold
2001 X 4x4 7.3 stroker
05 2wd 1500 ram..12v 4500 4x4 swap underway

Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
SCHOOL BUS

Name: SCHOOL BUS
Title: DLRA T-O
Member`s Gallery
how does a posi-trac in a plymouth work? it just does!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
mondtster

Name: mondtster
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Automatic, regardless of gas or diesel.

Any turbo car that is designed to spend time at a drag strip without one is just plain stupid.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
xtreme8504

Name: xtreme8504
Title: Paid for by ME
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster102 View Post
so your saying that if you are excellent at driving a stick and drive a truck that runs a 1/4 mile in 10's you have no advantage with either a stick or an automatic? I have a hard time believing that because i have always been told that an auto in a diesel is faster with lots of hp. If this is true then why are most gas motors faster with a stick?
How many 10 second stick trucks do you know of?
Most gas motors feel faster than an automatic on the street because in factory trim they have a more direct power transfer. Now when you build an auto trans with good parts that all work with each other, you have a much better power transfer than you did on a stock trans. BUT do not take this literally for every truck/car, chevy ford and dodge all have their own attitudes.
Auto rules the track regardless, for fun street use a stick may "feel" faster. I think im in the 10% that can shift, and my car is 2 tenths quicker with a built Th-350 vs a Muncie M21

Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
a built auto in a diesel will maintain boost while shifting by constant applied load!

manuals, you still have to hit the clutch and take the load off the respool every gear! IMO,

I sure as hell can't shift as fast an auto.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Cummin_Get_Some

Name: Cummin_Get_Some
Title: diesel fanatic
Member`s Gallery
But autos are a little bit ...

DPF & EGR DELETED
EFI TUNED BY BLACKOUT PERFORMANCE

Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
SCHOOL BUS

Name: SCHOOL BUS
Title: DLRA T-O
Member`s Gallery
how so?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Linkster102

Member`s Gallery
yeah how can you say that they are better when im hearing that if you are excellent at driving a stick they are both equally the same?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
mfolsomblueD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
a built auto in a diesel will maintain boost while shifting by constant applied load!

manuals, you still have to hit the clutch and take the load off the respool every gear! IMO,

I sure as hell can't shift as fast an auto.
I never once have to re spool between shifts and neither hit the clutch between gears...heck my stock 04.5 with NOTHING but smarty and clutch runs 13.20's back in 08 at 4 different tracks, now we are rebuilding it complety of course

Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
CREED1

Name: CREED1
Title: Throwed Off
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummin_Get_Some View Post
But autos are a little bit ...

Does that mean that I am coming out of the closet then . Manual to auto swap for me next weekend hopefully.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
cbtoyz

Name: cbtoyz
Title: Vaginatarian
Member`s Gallery
It's ok, You are among friends. We wouldn't judge you that way...

Ponci's Diesel Center
(707) 725-3307

Goerend Transmissions Inc.
(563) 778-2719

Hamilton Cams
(512) 778-9418

Dynomite Diesel Products Inc.
(360) 794-5732

Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
mondtster

Name: mondtster
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster102 View Post
yeah how can you say that they are better when im hearing that if you are excellent at driving a stick they are both equally the same?
They never will be.

Anybody who says that they are excellent and CONSISTENT at driving a manual transmission is probably making some pretty slow passes and/or isn't making much power.

I've been down this road before with a drivetrain that no decent automatic was available for. I could race it ok (I'm certainly not the greatest manual trans race car driver but not bad either), but I broke a ton of driveline and transmission parts and was never consistent.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
strokin'_tatsch

Name: strokin'_tatsch
Title: Death Row Inmate #7
Member`s Gallery
i personally like the feel of a manual wayyyy better than an auto. Plus, it actually takes skill to drive a manual. sure an auto may shift a little faster than my worn out 305k mile tranny, but i haven't had to rebuild it yet, it holds the power, and IMO its more fun for ME to drive. Most people may not like a manual tranny, but it suits my driving style. i will not have to respool much if any with the turbo setup i plan to run anyways so a manual shouldn't hurt me much on the strip.

the biggest advantage to an auto is the ability to spool on the line. in a manual trans you cannot spool up the turbo before launching which will throw the auto out there quite a ways depending on how long it takes for the manual truck to spool.

really its all in how your going to set them up. an auto can be set up to be FAST and a manual you gotta really know how to shift to get it to run right.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
mfolsomblueD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch View Post
i personally like the feel of a manual wayyyy better than an auto. Plus, it actually takes skill to drive a manual. sure an auto may shift a little faster than my worn out 305k mile tranny, but i haven't had to rebuild it yet, it holds the power, and IMO its more fun for ME to drive. Most people may not like a manual tranny, but it suits my driving style. i will not have to respool much if any with the turbo setup i plan to run anyways so a manual shouldn't hurt me much on the strip.

the biggest advantage to an auto is the ability to spool on the line. in a manual trans you cannot spool up the turbo before launching which will throw the auto out there quite a ways depending on how long it takes for the manual truck to spool.

really its all in how your going to set them up. an auto can be set up to be FAST and a manual you gotta really know how to shift to get it to run right.
I agree with you but a manaul can launch really hard without building boost with the right turbo application and of course driver

Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch View Post

Not talking about DD preferences here. I prefer a manual too, but an auto is faster down a dragstrip.

Closed Thread