'03 Tranny Issues

Bobus

Powerstroked
My '03 won't let me turn OD off...I had the issue when i first got it, Replaced the shifter lever, and it worked.. It recently stopped working again, pulled it apart and my wires are cut or chafed and i cant find a fuse, any help?

Those shifters can be a pain if you dont fix it right the first time or if you are constantly messing with it. If you had the local Ford house replace it the first time I would take it back to them and see if they will look at it again for free. At least you will get free mechanics advice. I know we just replaced them on all of our trucks in Afghaniland when we were having a rash of problems. Guess its just a select few though because I have never had any problems on my 02 or my 03 auto. Then again I aint always foolin with it either.

I Replaced it myself..Cheaper than payin Ford.. I don't "play" with mine..I just use the OD off when I tow heavy (Chipper, Skid Steer). And i've only used it 2-3 times and now it doesn't work..Is there a fuse somewhere?

I wasnt saying you were playing with it. I was just saying that we used ours alot too and all that foolin around with them seems to do bad things. Anyway, like I said before. Something in the unit its self kept messing up to where we just had to replace them every few months. I dont know what the actual problem was. I dont ever use mine on my current truck so I havent had any problems with them.

But, and this is just a question I have to ask. You said your wires were chaffed. This wouldnt be the problem would it. Maybe when you reinstalled it you didnt use chafe tape or electrical tape and excess wire was rubbing around and shorting out? Or was that the problem. You did short it out and now your looking for the fuse? On any note, happy hunting. I hate electrical problems. Hope you get it figured out.

DANIEL

Yeah the outer Covering on the wires is chaffed, but its not chaffed through to bare wires, Maybe i'll just go get another shifter and see if that fixes it again..Or maybe i should just do nothing since i plan on swapping in a 6spd in the near future

bobus-
when mine did the same thing I ran some military spec coaxial cable through it
just pull the switch off and and pull the wires out
then run some fishing line through the hole
attach it to the coax and pull it through
solder the wires
and youll have no more problems
itll be better than a new stock piece

Back