Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 and 6.9 IDI
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

7.3 and 6.9 IDI Pre-Powerstroke Ford Diesel Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
72hotrodhauler

Name: 72hotrodhauler
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
7.3 IDI set idle HELP

Hello all,
I am new to the forum and new to the 7.3 IDI engines.
I had an 06 6.0 and a 02 7.3 in the past.
some back ground on my project. I had a 1972 F100 2wd with a 390 and 4spd. I decided I wanted to change that. I bought a rebuilt 7.3 IDI with an auto trans and put it in the truck. the engine ran on the stand a year ago when I got it. I hooked up the 12V to the injection pump and got it running. had a small fuel leak on the return so fixed that.
the engine starts good but seems like it is on high idle. Now I do not have the cold start plunger hooked up electrically and it is not even touching the throttle lever. I know some about wiring but not everything. there is another terminal next to the power lead to the injection pump on the top driver side back corner. what is that for? I do not have the cold idle switch hooked up behind the water neck either. from what I looked at I don't think I need that un less its cold and I want the high idle to work... right?
So How do I get the engine to idle normal?
Do I need to adjust the IP internally or set the pump timing???
one other problem I have as well is the Autometer tach does not work. I talked to Autometer and they sent me to MSD to get a tach adapter which I installed. after I didn't work I call both companies back and the different techs told me it wont work. So now I need to get a box from Dakota Digital.
Has anyone used an Autometer tach and did you need a box and which one?

Thanks in advance for the help.
If I for got a piece of info let me know.

Closed Thread