Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > 2WD Pullers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
Im gonna need some help!!!

Well, thanks to My buddy Bell and Lynn, I think Im going to build a 2wd puller!!!

Problem is......I have no idea how to set one up! I think im pretty decent at getting a 4x4 set up and the Do's and Dont's and what not.

But like we all know, there arent that many 2wd's out there and other than watching Dale build his truck, and hanging with Lynn....thats about the extent of my knowledge.

But after some talking and dealing with what i got right now, i went ahead and decided to make my truck a 2wd.....basically because its not going to take near as much to get it going. i have a D80 in the works right now, and soon a motor to put in it.

Question is, as of now, I have a bare body and frame. So I can realy pick and choose what i want to do, and what it going to be the best to run. Im not building for any specific class, but i would like to run at the bigger shows. i thought about a rockwell, but that would throw me out of way too mny pulls to be worth it, so Im gonna stick with the D80.

As for transmissions, Im kind of up in the air......I know an NV4500 would probably be the easiest, but with a 12v there are a lot of different things that will mate up to it. So should I push for the NV or look for something else?

Another thing Im worried about is the chassis Im working with.....
This is what i drug home...

Click the image to open in full size.

being an Ext cab, am i going to be at more of an advantage, or more of a disadvantage?

Also, its getting close to throwing in the rear end. At loking at Lynns truck, he has his rear squated down. Would it be to my advantage to keep mine down, or start with it raised and move it accordingly??

I think this is going to be a cool project, and depending on funds and what i can find.....Im going to try and come out for Scheids and give Lynn a run for his money!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Lower

Name: Lower
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Im not a puller but I would imagine the longer the better for a 2wd. Good luck and post lost of pics
Right. Just do like your momma did and fish em out of the toilet.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Thanks! Im sure Ill get lots of pics!!!

Also looking at a deal on a Long bed 12v 2wd with an NV already in it....might be a good candidate to either swap the body onto or swap the drivetrain into the 1st gen!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
Be ready to fork over cash for a bigger yoke & bigger axle shafts. That's just a given for the stress the 2wd will see.

Hopefully the rest of these 2wd guys will give some setup advise.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
1480 is what i plan on running........Might have to make a few junk yard trips to see what i can dig up.....

I might just have to do what lynn did and run a 4wd trans and transfer case and block the front yoke. I havnt even begun to look for a 1480 output for a 2wd NV.........

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
The 4wd case will give you more gear options also.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Thats exactly what I was thinking too. If I ran without a T Case Id have to run what, 2nd gear? Thats probably gonna be a lot of stress on the internals of the trans and all the U Joints! Just got to decide on what tras/transfer case combo to run......

Also, i need to think about the front end set up! with the IFS style of the 2wd, i dont exactly know how thats going to act......Last thing i want is to lift the front end and have it all bind up......

Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
ilm99cumminss

Name: ilm99cumminss
Member`s Gallery
boy jeff looks like you have your hands full! im also looking at building a 2wheel drive puller and do like lynn did and look at the 2wheel drive gas trucks and follow in there set ups. ill let you build your truck then ill ask you for help to do mine lol but good luck and i hope to follow this close

Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
What about a rear out of a M37 Military truck? Its a rockwell, but not sure exactly what it is......

Got looking around craigslist and got to thinking that a rockwell might be a better choice than a D80 or anything else like it! Plus I can still pull just about every pull i got to, other than the big events....but there I can probably work something out. Bout the only probablem i can think about running one is the limited pulls, and getting it mounted to a transmission.....

Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshawg600 View Post
1480 is what i plan on running........Might have to make a few junk yard trips to see what i can dig up.....

I might just have to do what lynn did and run a 4wd trans and transfer case and block the front yoke. I havnt even begun to look for a 1480 output for a 2wd NV.........
Congrats on your decision there Jeff. Glad I could be an influnce..
Well to correct ya there.. I am just running a standered 2wd trans. I had thought about changing to a 4x4/Xfer case, but got talked out of it. Tere is a thread in here somewhere. Also I have a thread that has pics of my set-up.
I kinda copyed off of the 2wd gasser trucks in my area to do mine to get me started. The main thing is is to have a god longer set of traction/ladder bars,
mine come up to almost the front of my doors.

Also I think you have a good canidate there. The longer wheel base will help. IMHO I would probablly leave the rear end lifted up some and start from there. With your longer wheel base that will benifit ya a litle more.
If ya need any help with it give me a call Jeff. Ill be glad to give ya a hand.

Lynn
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What about a rear out of a M37 Military truck? Its a rockwell, but not sure exactly what it is......
If you can get a model number that would be helpful. If its a toploader, stay away from it.

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Lynn, and yes, you were an influence! And we were just sitting watching a pull the other night and thought it would be something else different. Kinda gets boring watching a bunch of 4x4 Duramax's and 2nd Gen Dodges pull!!! I think it will turn a few heads with a 1st gen with steer tires in the front!!!

And I should be getting model numbers today from the axle. Its a front loader, but I just havent figured out what exactly it is....its BIG though!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
texascadillac42

Name: texascadillac42
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think you mean M35. The M37 is the Dodge Power Wagon, with D60 axles, and not even the good D60's...

The M35 will have Rockwell, top loader, 2.5 ton axles.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
I got an Email back after i wrote that. he said it was out of a 1963 GMC M35.

Heres a pic.....

I think it will work, mounting is another thing...but we will see how it does....Atleast if I break it, its a LOT cheaper than a D80!!! Its got the 6 lug Rockwell lug pattern so rims are gonna be Fun! Im guessing they are 19.5 Rims, so tires are gonna be interesting!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
looks like an old dually pick-up... nice
im with lynn raise it allow you top take advangage of the increased wheel base for more leverge on the rear axle..
when i ran my 02 cclb i raised the rear 2" above stock ride hieght when empty in the back my bars were ~7' long
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
2wd_sled_puller

Name: 2wd_sled_puller
Title: K&P Diesel House
Member`s Gallery
This would be my set up. I would run an automatic trans if u aint going to drive it down the road alot and dont need over drive i would run a 727. i would run a wide 35 1400 tire or wider. With about a 4.56 to a 5.13 gear ratio. that will take away driveline stress. a 1410 yoke will work fine on both ends. thats what i had under my duramax and i would break u joints before anything also. Also i had 35's with 3.73 gears but plenty of power.

Do like lynn said on traction bars the longer the better for weight transfer and u want your weight to transfer quick for ground speed.

I wouldnt put a 4x4 t case under the truck because for one thats more stuff to break and it takes away a little more horsepower and torque. Regearing will be your best solution.

I like an automatic transmission because u can start with it in first on the column and if u fill u need to go up a gear u can do it without messing up your ground speed and it will keep digging. IMHO i wouldnt run dual tires but thats me. Lynns done it and has been sucess fuel but i think if he took the duals off and ran a super single he would pull better. Like i said thats just my opinion

1997 dodge 3500 flat bed 12va 5x16 sticks homemade 66mm turbo gutted hand shacker 47rh now and loving it

Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Dazed&Confused

Name: Dazed&Confused
Title: Surfing my own world
Member`s Gallery
Have you made any progress on your truck? I just picked up a 93 like it yesterday.
2004 CTS-V

Closed Thread