Twins or a single for drag truck?

01silver bullet

Washed up
Looking for a little advice for my drag truck is a 13mm pumped 12v, I cant decide whether to run my twins or just throw the 480 on it, the truck will be a strictly drag truck, I may drive on street a little to get some miles on the motor

I have a twin setup for my drag truck thats consists of a silver 66 and a s480, I am contemplating just runnung the single 480 by itself.
Not sure If I need to change anything on the 480 for a single its a 80/96/1.32 I think, Ill probly need an external gate too?
If I run the twins I was goin to put an s483 on the bottom with th 66

Give me a little explanation on why you think one would work better than the other.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Here are some specs
13mm pump flowed 450-850ccs depending where The plate is
Injectors...Lenny is building not positive yet probly comps
colt stage 5 cam with fly cut pistons
mild clean up on the head
Was going to start at 26* for timing and go from there
I have the nitrous if i need it to help spool.

Discuss!
:tree::thankyou2:

I started with a big single and nitrous theory now I am going to big twins with a 472 on top of a 95+mm...It is just easier for me and parts last longer.

I'd look at the smaller turbine myself. I've run an S480 on my 24v with a 13mm, stage 3 colt cam, 7x12's, etc. S480 had the 87/80 turbine with a 1.25 A/R housing. It wouldn't make any real appreciable boost below 3k rpm. A tighter T4 housing would help, I'm sure.

It all relates to your wastegate setup and converter selection. I would have a super loose converter with a single, and spray right out of the hole. Who cares if you are loosing 30%, that could still be 700+ at the wheels, which is more HP than you usually could get down in the first few hundred feet with normal "diesel event" track prep. Then I would lock the converter at the top of second gear where the slip rate is low, and torque multiplication isn't that bad. That's hoe normal gas racers do it...make a bunch of power, then try to apply it gradually.

Twins will be smoother and easier to feather down the track a big single will come on hard and if you have traction it will work if not you will go up in smoke. That 480 would be terrible as a single go with the 66/83 set up IMO.

Ok well I am pretty setup for the twins as far as converter, wastegate etc, thanks for the input guys! I'll probly throw the twins on it and maybe try a single later or probly go bigger twins!!

Last edited:
Well the truck won't be done for this weekend so I have more time to decide, I'm still up in the air on turbo setup, it sounds like if i run the 480 I'll defiantly put a smaller housing/wheel on it... And like you guys said an external gate for sure, probly have to have the converter loosened up also.

Still looking for input!

Back