Need some help. Primary turbo mount w/ Straight Steed

01_Cummins

Decided to start working on fabbing up my compound setup. Turbos are t4 nongated s300 over a t6 s400 getting fed by a straight flanged t4 steed speed.

There is plenty of room for the primary underneath the secondary and I purchased all my piping based on that configuration setup so I would like to stick with that style.

Im at a loss to where and how I should mount this primary. EDs style mount looks like it would cause the primary exhaust to hit the firewall and make everything else more cramped since i have a straight flange. Not sure how high and how far out I should build this mount to accommodate for oil drain, feed, intake, etc.

If anyone has any experience with this style, any pics or dimensions of a mount they would care to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric

I built a set using the source auto mount and a straight steed, worked fine.

Did you have any oil drain issues with that style of a mount? Leaks, etc. And did you fab up a downpipe or buy one? 4" or 5"?

If you have any pics you can share, id appreciate it

I have an angled steed so not apples comparison but I plan on fabbing a mount to block like sources.

And as far as drain, as long as its above oil pan your good.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

Figured id update. Got the setup completed. Still have some minor bugs that need worked out.

I ended up using a block mounted mount like sources. Turned out fairly well.

Upon first fire up, the wastegate block off plate was leaking so I had to take care of that. Also the hotpipe has a small leak between the secondary outlet and flange. upon further inspection, the flange has an inconsistent flange, where it looks like it may have slipped in the mill, the ring of the flange is consistent most of the way around, in a small section, it has a bevel cut into it... not sure what im going to do about that yet.

Other than I decided to take it for a drive and stretch its legs, seeing that it was parked all winter.

First impressons, wow, the truck is much quieter now. I knew adding another turbo would knock down the noise but geez, wasnt expecting that much of a difference. Second, Holy whistle these things sure do sing a pretty song. Major reduction in smoke, spool up seems the same, if not quicker, thanks to the steed and actual t4 outlets with no adapter.

As far as performance goes, still not too happy. I need to do some more tuning and whatnot. Still not very fast... hit 55psi on lvl 3 of my quad. Cranked it up to lvl 7 and did a 5psi launch. Hit 65psi and blew a boot, the intercooler pipe blew back and hit something causing it to put a decent crease in the pipe.

Im gonna order a replacement pipe to fix it, but until then im gonna coat them all with some hairspray, crank them down and drive it easy.

I dont have any right now. Ill get some tomorrow. Its not pretty by any means. Bare metal piping still.

And none of my parts showed up that I needed so I just rigged some stuff together to get me rolling..

Keep having trouble blowing my bottom IC boot. Tried every trick in the book, I think its just worn out and needs replaced. Havent even got a chance to go WOT yet... how sad. These things scream tho, I love it

I've heard of coating the flanges with grease if its leaking. They say it will coke up and act a bit like a sealant. I've never tried it though.

Hmm ill have to look into that. I was either going to pull it off and mill it flat or see if there was some sort of thin metal gasket I could get or make just to slide in there to seal it.

Ill chase that demon when I get my boot situation figured out, might have to refab my IC pipe.. Tried the old 3.5x3 boot thats on it several times. Then found a 3x3 straight boot and squeezed it on, blew that off too... and yes my piping has beads of weld at the end to help in boot retention.

Little side story, driving home last night after some tinkering, a duramax full of very young kids flew up beside me and wanted to race. Me, knowing how fragile that pipe was, just wanted to cruise home as easy as possible (2 mile trip). Anyways.... i got tired of him trying to show me up so when he mashed it, I just rolled Into the throttle real easy, I caught up quick and seeing how I was at about 40 some psi and holding steady, I'd let her eat and put them to shame. We were side by side when I floored it, boost spiked up around 60 or so and BOOM! It blew off. I looked over at the kid and his eyes were as big as baseballs and they ended up pulling off to the side of the road cause he thought he broke his haha

Back