F 106 brakes?

Dazed&Confused

Surfing my own world
Ok this goes out to anyone just stuck it in the 2wd thread since its what I'm building. How are you guys running brakes and the 16" Izuzu wheels? The drum is to big to run so are you running nothing or disc somehow? Could use some help.

Thats what I was thinking but dont know if I can do that.

your going to deffinatly need rear brakes on the 2wd and the 2wd trucks up here (fully blown 16-71) engines run a very large rotor/disk brake setup. The rotors can be more than 24" in diameter and are mouted inward of the wheels. Remember...you are going need the steer it with the brakes and oem drums or disks are not going to be up to the task of that!

looks like I won't be running brakes. I won't be setting up to run dual brakes on this. Lynn has pulled for two seasons now not using steering brakes. I talked with him a bit earlier tonight and a few gas 2wd guys and only one of them runs a pinion style brake.

I wonder if as you get to the high HP if the steering breaks come into play. Lynn ran a spool correct?

Yes Lynn ran a spool. I don't think he plans to run brakes either though but I'll let him awnser that. I only spoke to him for a minute or two today so I'll let him share what he knows.

Not sure how you guys do it down south but we have a bunch of Grand National 2wd's up here and one of them actually took everything at bowling Green 2 or 3 years ago now. Anyway, all of the 2wd's up here as well as the blown Mini's are running steer brakes on either side of the rear end and all are running an open differential. A spool in a 2wd is a very BAD idea and can cause a wreck very quickly!!! Call up Tod at TRB Machine and ask him about running a spool in Mini or TWD and see what he says!!!

Not sure how you guys do it down south but we have a bunch of Grand National 2wd's up here and one of them actually took everything at bowling Green 2 or 3 years ago now. Anyway, all of the 2wd's up here as well as the blown Mini's are running steer brakes on either side of the rear end and all are running an open differential. A spool in a 2wd is a very BAD idea and can cause a wreck very quickly!!! Call up Tod at TRB Machine and ask him about running a spool in Mini or TWD and see what he says!!!

I wonder if the difference is the HP, the lower HP vehicles the fronts kind of kiss the ground going down the track, so they can offer a little guidance, versus the big HP which lift the fronts and carry it all the way down the track!

I think the weight and setup have allot to do with them. The minis seem to be so light its about impossible to keep the front down.

Lynn ran a spool for the last year, and only had 2 instances in which he had to let out because the front wheel's were off the ground and it was about to get REAL ugly! :eek:

Since then he took the 4" lift blocks out of the rear suspension and it helped TREMENDOUSLY! It only raises the steer tires now when the pan drops and drags him to a stop. I'm anxious to see what the super low 2 tone gears do to help him get down the track!

Yes I have ran a welded rear and and a full spool. Only had a few instances where i had to let out. but i didnt have my weights right at the time... :bang
Most of, if not all the gas guys i talked to run a welded rear end.
I still plan on running the same thing and fabbing up some sort of a pinion brake.
Saw a guy make a roter out of a piece of flat steel and use a caliper off a small car or a fourwheeler. it dont take much to stop one with a pinion brake.

Thats my .02 anyways.

Andy let me know when ya get those wheels and ill come up and get em.

Thanks
Lynn

Back