Swapped LBZ intake on to a LLY and now the truck is in limp mode...

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
Aight, I swapped out the intake on my LLY with a LBZ mouthpiece and intake...I know I need to go have the MAF rescaled at the dealer, BUT, in the meantime should this really make the truck feel sluggish as chit and then eventually put it in limp mode? I was having some problems with the tuner when I went to put it to stock in order to go to the dealer, and then I finally re-tuned it, but it went from driving like it was stock with no top-end, to driving like it had a little bit of a tune in it but not much, to limping where it wouldn't go over 50mph...the trannsmission was shifting horrible which maybe caused it to go into limp mode, but the truck ran fine with the PPE before I swapped intakes...anybody ever seen or heard of this? The check engine light isn't on and I don't have any DTC's on the PPE but it definately has no power. Could the intake swap and the lack of having the MAF rescaled yet be the culprit of this, OR, is it impossible for this swap to have this effect and it is the PPE tuner that is now doing it after the swap for some reason....

I tried a LBZ mouthpiece/intake once for the hell of it and limped about a week later. It was because I did not rescale the MAF settings to the LBZ settings. Mine would not go over 2000RPM's until I cleared the limp. I did not have any CEL either.

I believe your problem was the limp controls the RPM's to 2000, not 50mph. After 2000RPM's the truck will limp and run like it hates you.

I cleared mine with pulling the battery cable for a while, put the LLY items back on and everything went back fine.

You might try that. Good luck.

Dix

that's weird. i did my own custom one and haven' had one issue with it.

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

I just swapped my lly mouthpiece with a lbz mouthpiece and am still running the lly maf sensor. It's been almost a week now with no issues.

The trick seems to be the tube. Using the LBZ mouthpiece & LLY airbox or tube does not require the updated MAF.
Using th LBZ mouthpiece & LBZ tube will. I have my LLY MAF sensor with an LBZ S&B intake & mouthpiece but rescaled. Until I got the LBZ intake I used stock LLY settings

I recently rescaled my MAF but had no issues for several months running the same tuning before and after the swap.

The trick seems to be the tube. Using the LBZ mouthpiece & LLY airbox or tube does not require the updated MAF.
Using th LBZ mouthpiece & LBZ tube will. I have my LLY MAF sensor with an LBZ S&B intake & mouthpiece but rescaled. Until I got the LBZ intake I used stock LLY settings

Correct.

Yep, mine limped when I tried to use the LLY MAF sensor and settings with the LBZ intake piping and filter housing. I think you would be fine if you were able to use the LBZ mouth piece and be able to attach the LLY filter and piping.

Dix

For the people who are limping, are you guys running stock tuning??

What is the reasoning behind the limping issues? Does the lbz intake and elbow really flow that much more than the lly get up?

On my 05 lly I am running a towing tune, an lbz elbow, and an Injen intake with no issues at all.

For the people who are limping, are you guys running stock tuning??

What is the reasoning behind the limping issues? Does the lbz intake and elbow really flow that much more than the lly get up?

On my 05 lly I am running a towing tune, an lbz elbow, and an Injen intake with no issues at all.
It flows enough more to screw up with the LLY table in there...on most trucks anyway.
It is the volume of air that is the difference between the 2. That is why you have to use an LBZ MAF table.

Back