Pie cuts

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
What is the safest way to make pie cuts safely on twin turbo tubing?

Last edited:
I always used a bandsaw. Set angle. Make first cut. Spin 180 and cut again
IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

Chop saw would also make quick work of the cuts with consistent angles. Obviously the more cuts, the better the flow through the piece, but a lot more welding. There was a calculator somewhere to figure out the dimensions and angles to make a bend on a given radius, although a little trig will do it too.

I dont have a band saw, and my chop saw doesn't cut very straight, so I just use a 4.5" grinder and a thin cut off wheel.

I have a really nice bandsaw....but once pieces are lets say 5-6" of pipe left, it will spit the piece out (not enough clamping area) I can see if you have 4-5 feet of pipe that would be easy. But once you get down to the last 6" of pipe it gets dangerous trying to get the clamp to hold the pipe.

I have a really nice bandsaw....but once pieces are lets say 5-6" of pipe left, it will spit the piece out (not enough clamping area) I can see if you have 4-5 feet of pipe that would be easy. But once you get down to the last 6" of pipe it gets dangerous trying to get the clamp to hold the pipe.

What we've found that works pretty well is to use a short piece of same diameter material on the other end of the clamp. That way the clamp thinks there is a full piece in there...

That way the clamp thinks there is a full piece in there...[/QUOTE]

Hmmm a clamp with a brain. The possibilities are endless now.

Why pie cuts? Why not short radius pipe?

Or am I missing something?

welders like to weld.

...There are situations where a series of pre-bent pipes welded together may not be as optimum a pie cuts, however with the availability of donuts and mandrel bends nowadays I don't see that particular situation being very prevalent.

Back