12 volt relay help needed.

rnemovr

Lost in the sauce
I am curious is it possible to have 2 switches to turn on/off the high beams? I would like to add the old school style floor switch to both my Jeep and the Dodge but want to keep the column switch as well. Would I be able to set something up where I could turn the lights on with the column/floor switch then off with floor/column switch?

You could parallel switches in there on the relay, where either would turn on/off, but both would have to be off for lights to be off..

I am not 100% what you want to do. Can you explain it better for the slow folks like me? I am sure I can make you a circuit out of relays that will do what you want. Just not following what your wanting.

I am not 100% what you want to do. Can you explain it better for the slow folks like me? I am sure I can make you a circuit out of relays that will do what you want. Just not following what your wanting.

Ever used a 3 way switch in a house? How in a large room there are 2 switches to control one light. That's what I want.

Ask me about renting this space for your business.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1378482738000.jpg.html

Works with normal maintained column and floor switch , no latching relays needed. Sorry bout the crappy pic. Dc+ to r2 common r3 common to r1 coil.

Works with normal maintained column and floor switch , no latching relays needed. Sorry bout the crappy pic. Dc+ to r2 common r3 common to r1 coil.

That should work from first glance, however I would question the installation complexity as well as the hardware cost. Most of the cheap automobile relays are single pole, and doesn't yours circuit require double pole relays for r2 and r3?

Yes I see the single pole working now. Depends if the switches are maintained or not

Last edited:

For some reason the picture isn't showing up. I typed the link in and it worked. Now just to figure out what it all means. LOL

Last edited:
If the stock setup works, why even bother with it to begin with? Adding needless complexity, for no real benefit. If you can't handle how the stock setup works, adding a 2nd one won't help any.

Wanting a Brite-Box, or something? Brite Box with Fog Light Control - '94-'98 Dodge Ram-Geno's Garage

I have 3 KC slim lights on the front of the truck that are tied into the high beams. So I can see perfectly fine. That brite box has nothing to do with what I am wanting. I like the floor mount better and always have. If my truck was an auto I would bypass the column switch all together. By do the latching relay linked above I will be able to turn the lights on or off with either switch, I don't see how that is complex at all.

Ask me about renting this space for your business.

If the stock setup works, why even bother with it to begin with? Adding needless complexity, for no real benefit. If you can't handle how the stock setup works, adding a 2nd one won't help any.

Wanting a Brite-Box, or something? Brite Box with Fog Light Control - '94-'98 Dodge Ram-Geno's Garage

Most normal people would say that none of the things we do to our trucks are needed. Do you need an elevendy billion Hp truck? No. Do you want one? Of course you do, because you are not normal, I am not normal, no one here is normal. We build our trucks to be the way we want them to be because that is the type of people we are. I don't see how insulting a mans intelligence benefits anyone. Clearly he can handle a high beam with one switch.

Back